Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear?
Quote | Reply
I'm VERY flat footed and seeking recommendations on a new shoe and insole (not custom). I can't do Brooks or at least the Adrenaline or Ravenna models anymore.. they wear out too fast! I'm putting in 120+ miles a month and having to buy new shoes every 3 months or I get Achilles pain. I would like to try something else!

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear? [JenRuss1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from my experience shoes typically last about 400 miles... (unless they are racing flats, or more minimal shoes) so if you're running about 120+ miles a month. 3 months seems about right for the shoe to be done be it a ravenna or adrenaline or whatever else you try in that similar category. With that said have you tried the Saucony Guide, or ASICS GT 2000?

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Re: Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear? [Machee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saucony >> asics for durability. Tend to think brooks is pretty good though too

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear? [Machee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I actually haven't tried either model! Brooks does make a great shoe, and good to know on the mileage. Do you wear the insoles that come with or use a different one?
Quote Reply
Re: Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear? [JenRuss1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having a flat foot tells one part of a much bigger story, it says what shape your foot is

: Do you over or under pronate? Not all flat feet overpronate
: Is your foot maximally pronated already? That is even under full weight it doesn't move any further
: what is it that is causing the shoe to wear out faster then you'd like?

Without seeing the foot in person and in motion you're just going to get a bunch of great shoe's suggested that might or might not work for you

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ive worn the adrenaline for different reason than being flat footed (have weak ankles, although they are getting better) but ive worked at a running store and have seen lots of people run, now i am also no doctor, but... i always advised against insoles in shoes such as the adrenaline as they are already really supportive shoes, unless they are custom orthotics prescribed by a doctor. (i trust the doctor has a clue what he is doing, although ive had different experiences with PTs...) the biggest difference you will feel between the brooks and the asics is the asics will be much softer plushier ride, while the saucony will be more comparable to the ravenna with a little snugger fit especially in the toe box. (both really good shoes, i personally prefer the saucony guide over the asics) hope this kinda answers the question...

Quote Reply
Re: Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear? [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is so true.

I have extremely flat feet, every running store wants to put me in a motion control shoe, I've been running in a Mizuno Wave Rider since 2007 and that's a neutral shoe with a little support.

I've also ran in an Asics DS Racer, Saucony A4 and NB Minimus.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to be a total jerk but how can you tell they need a stability shoe via the internet?

I tried to see their arch elongation but couldn't on my computer screen.

Also an insert can work great for some people even in a shoe like the GTS. An external dual density post is doing something very different then what an insert is doing. 1 is designed to stop the midsole from compressing and the other is reducing elongation and movement.

Shoe fit without seeing the foot is a waste of time. Its like a bike fit without all the details. Sure I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam but if the fitter cant see my limited range of motion due to back surgery I wont get a very good fit

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear? [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you cannot i totally agree. i just went off based on the fact op mentioned running in the brooks ravenna and the adrenaline, and offered comparable suggestions. to be honest op might not even need a supportive shoe, but rather a neutral with an insert...

Quote Reply
Re: Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are shops not doing their job very well

On my employees I am always their final examine

High Arch
Decent curved shape
Fairly rigid with limited arch elongation between sitting and standing

That would be a neutral foot 99 times out of 100 except that I am number 100 and over pronate to a pretty big degree. It doesn't show in my foot shape or under standing pressure but as soon as I walk or run then it can be seen.

I have found 1 person in my entire career that saw it before seeing me walk. He also is a biomechanics expert and one of the most highly respected fit professionals in the industry, so he's kind of good.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the right shoe after I had high speed video of my foot strike. Endurance House near Madison Wisconsin did it for me, free of charge.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly, just because they wore those shoes doesn't mean they were correct ,so making a suggestion off of that is honestly a disservice

The fast wear could be because they are in the wrong shoe, I don't know and wont know unless they happen to come into my store for a fit

I have found that on ST you can get great bike fit advice, good swim advice (for those that actually pay attention to the swim :)) and really confusing run shoe advice as people often just make the suggestion of what worked for them and that means so very little

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have very flat feet and rotate the Adidas Adistar Boost with the Saucony Mirage. Boost for distance, Mirage for tempo/speed.

New Balance rc1400 for races.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All you really need is

a good fitter that can watch you run or walk and 4 measurements of your feet

Video will capture the extreme rare foot but proper measurements and the naked eye should be enough. What video allows is for the movement to be slowed down so it is easier to see. An Ipad is plenty

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fully agreed, my assumption was made on that OP was fit properly for the adrenaline and ravenna mentioned in the post. :) but if they are getting almost 400 miles from what it sounds like, out of the shoe i also wouldn't call that fast wear.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to work in a for Fleet Feet and when I trained people people also often initially wanted to put me in a heavily support shoe with an insert because I am extremely flat footed. However if one measured my arch elongation it does not change, because I am truly flat footed. Secondly, if you watch me run I am a neutral runner, with little to no pronation. Hands on is the only way to fit someone properly.

Quote | Reply
I've been enjoying Nike Frees, without any custom inserts. I also like the Mayfly racing flat, just for racing in.

In other words I haven't found any need for anything special, or supportive, due to my flat feet.

Sometimes the best approach is just go to the shoe store, jog around in a bunch of shoes, buy the one that feels good.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a few different shoes/inserts (including a couple different custom ones) for my flat feet. Ended up with Asics Kayano and expensive custom inserts which got me through longer runs, but still always hurt after 10-12 miles and the next few days.

A couple years ago I was in the Ft. Worth running company store and saw some "10 seconds flat feet" inserts. Figured I would give them a shot for $20. Took a while to get used to them, but now I have no problems with my feet. Might be worth a shot at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear? [smon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All great advice and feedback! I greatly appreciate it! Admiditly and sadly, I have never been recorded for pronation/foot strike shoe fitting. Something I now plan to do this weekend at a local running shoe store. I'm sure my race times this fall will reflect it! :)

Happy training all!
Quote Reply
Re: Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear? [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also found relief by having a seperate pair for shoe for different training routines as well. My DXs explanation the stability muscles in the knee, lower leg and foot get a mix of stresses through this approach which avoids continuous and repeated identical stresses which otherwise lead to rapid overtraining of the smaller muscles that compensate for flat footedness. This strategy helped me to eliminate orthotics after physician consultation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read the title as fleet footed and thought it was a very sneaky brag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the Adidas Boost. It's midsole doesn't have a molded in arch like many shoes today.

I've also had good luck with the Altra Olympus as a long run shoe.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear? [finspnrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I struggled with injuries as well, particularly shins. I battled a chronic tibial stress reaction for the better part of two years..tried everything to fix it, including a five month running hiatus (at the time I was a dedicated adrenaline runner of about 3 years). Eventually, I figured that I'd try to change my shoes to a more minimal shoe, less posting, lower drop etc. Rotating the mirage and the boost has been great for me, I've finally been able to string together a bit of moderate health.

The other thing is, I heard at the local running shop that shoes take a solid 24-36 hours to decompress after use. In the meantime, the shoes have compromised cushion. So, I rotate, every run, regardless how long after the prior run.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally over complicating this....
"Blue ones"
is about as good advice as you'll get on line or in a mag...
Get down to the closest well regarded run store and trial some shoes on a treadmill....
Quote Reply
Re: Fellow Flat Footed Runners- What Shoe/Insole Do You Wear? [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not 100% flat but it was an issue a few years ago, I even needed insoles but the switch to minimalist shoes helped me greatly, seems it reinforced my whole lower leg/ankle and I don't have knee pain anymore anywhere, be it running or walking.

I can't explain the science behind it but whatever's work, I'm on with that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next