Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
February Fishtwitch (Swim Challenge Thread)
Quote | Reply
starts TOMORROW!!!!!!

My "assistant coach" Axles of Evil has started the new spreadsheet and is going to post details regarding that. I will start the Slowtwitch-Training-Log one tomorrow.

Rules:
-Make a yardage goal for the month, or a frequency goal (x swims per week), or a time goal... whatever...
-Post your workouts on this thread (if you feel like it)
-Post your yards either on the spreadsheet, the ST log, or both
-Don't do anything too crazy off the 3m diving board

I had a rough month for swimming in January due to travel (started out the month in AZ but desert dude conveniently managed to plan bike rides so we would get back too late to swim, or his car would mysteriously break down, etc, and that thwarted some swimming at the beginning of the month) - then I had to get back to Maine - then I got sick :P so I am REALLY FREAKIN OUT OF SWIM SHAPE but the good news is I've been doing my baby weights!!!! so at least I am just un-fit... not injured and or sick.

My goals for this month:
-Swim 4x a week
-baby weights every other day
I really don't want to set a yards goal this month... but I'd like to be back to being able to comfortably do 20 x 100 on 1:20. That would put me back at where I was at the end of December.

I cannot wait to get back into the pool, see you all soon!!!!!
fish kisses
tc

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: February Fishtwitch (Swim Challenge Thread) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Missed January goal due to being sick and after seeing how sick Tigerchik got I was afraid to push in the water once the cold symptoms started. I missed most of the last two weeks. We have company with us for most of December so I am going to stay low in yardage but 4x per week. This month I want 36,000 for month. My season goals are a fast St. Anthonys and then reload for a couple of late season 70.3's.
Quote Reply
You are smarter than I am. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran for 2 weeks of having a cold, that's how it turned into pneumonia. Smart of you to back off. Lesson learned the hard way for me.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
DRYLAND TRAINING [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have posted this before - it's what my PT gave me to help with posterior shoulder strengthening (lest you end up with protracted shoulders, which leads to impingement and a whole bunch of other not fun stuff) - easy, takes 20 min or so, USE BABY WEIGHTS - not kidding, you only need a pound for the external rotation ones. Shoulder/rotator cuff muscles are fragile!

So if anyone else wants this...

This is my shoulder protection program to strengthen posterior (back of the shoulder) girdle muscles. You may or may not have an imbalance here. In my case - I do - if you looked at me from the side, and looked carefully, you'd notice a swimmer's posture - my shoulders are protracted (tilted forward a bit) from all the freestyle. Not sure if this is the case for you or not, or if it's just a technical issue in your stroke, or if you upped your volume too quickly. But here it is in case you want, can't hurt:

-prone rows, 20 on each side with 8 lbs. Then, the same thing but with upper arm pretty much perpendicular to body (so your elbow is out). Hits rhomboids but from a different angle.

-extensions, laying prone again, arm goes from perpendicular to the floor to hip level. I think I do 20 with 5 lbs on each side.

-external rotation with a baby 2 lb weight. Lay on side, stick a folded towel under arm, elbow is "pinned," rotate GH joint so as to get weight up. I'm told I should be able to get that elbow to 90* - I can't - lacking some ROM there. Maybe because of the protraction?

-serratus anterior "punches," lay with your spine on a foam roller, and hold a 12 lb "body bar" up as if you were going to bench press- but rather than bench press, push it up engaging serratus ant. muscle. Slight movement. I do 20 of these straight up, 20 at an angle a bit forward from that, and then 20 at an angle back from it.

-wobble board on a wall - small wobble board - totally hits rotator cuffs by trying to get the edges of the board to touch the wall as you roll it around. These make my shoulders burrrrrrrn

-lately I've been doing lat pulldowns as well.

Kayaking and rowing are also really good for posterior shoulder muscles.

Quote Reply
Re: You are smarter than I am. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been there done that. After 40 years I am getting wiser. You know it is tricky becasue sometimes trining makes you feel better and sometimes it backfires. I also thought that after giving you advice to back off I better also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to everyone on their January swims.

Since several people have moved over to the Slowtwitch Training Log version of the Swim Challenge, I have deleted their lanes. If I have deleted you by mistake, or if you want to use the spreadsheet again, just PM me and I'll put you back in your lane.

If you're new to the Swim Challenge and want to use the spreadsheet, PM me with your google account name and I'll add a lane for you.

One note: don't fill in anything in the green area of the spreadsheet; the values in that area will self-calculate after you put your distance goal and number of swims goal in the 2 rows just above the green area that are designated for that.

If anyone just wants to view the spreadsheet, without joining, you can see it here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/...bz1VCoBnuwygvppkKCPw

Happy swimming!

Quote Reply
Re: February Fishtwitch (Swim Challenge Thread) [Axles of Evil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for 20K. Run volume will stay around 40 mpw, but my bike mileage is starting to increase in Feb so my swim needs go to down a little bit though, I will maintain the same frequency of swimming, just shorter sets. LOL if that is even possible I already stand at the edge of the pool reach over and splash my face and call it a set :P I'll be using the ST log for loggin since I am already using it for the 100/100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik, I'll enjoy the one month of my entire life that I out swam you, I'm sure it won't happen again ;) Hope your travel settles down and you get your workouts in.
Quote Reply
Re: February Fishtwitch (Swim Challenge Thread) [RottieGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tigerchik, I'll enjoy the one month of my entire life that I out swam you, I'm sure it won't happen again ;)

Rottieguy, that's what I told Axles of Evil, cdw, and I bet desert dude out-swam me this month as well.

HAPPY FEBRUARY!!!!!!

Quote Reply
February 1 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No swimming today, but I did the baby weights!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am in again...Jan was about 10k short of my goal, but the damn running challenge got the better of me as did the job. Oh well, this month should hopefully be around...49k+/-. Have two races this month too, so it looks to be full of fun.

Ciao,

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I'm back in! It's time to start back on some swimming, spring is in 6 weeks.

I put myself back up on the spreadsheet. Hope I didn't screw things up?

My goal to start with for this month is 24k, 3 swims a week, 2k a swim.

I'll try to keep the crazy 3m diving to a min, Is crazy diving on 1m ok?

Cheers!
Last edited by: jgp: Feb 2, 09 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: February Fishtwitch (Swim Challenge Thread) [jgp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can actually dive, play on the 3m board all you want. I do not actually know how to dive, but my favorite way to get wet is jumping off the 3 m board.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Ya, I really can dive. But I won't be playing on any diving boards let alone 3m for a couple of weeks. ..... I was entered to dive in a meet this weekend for 1m and 3m boards, but I sprain my left knee on Wednesday working out and had to pull out of the meet...... :-( ....my next meet will be in end of March. : - )

But!....in the mean time I will be swimming, swiming, swimming.....

Quote Reply
Re: February Fishtwitch (Swim Challenge Thread) [jgp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you dive in college? Where are you located that they have adult diving meets? Or are you still in college?

I have always, always, always wanted to learn how to do some nice dives.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I have always, always, always wanted to learn how to do some nice dives."...

T.C. I can teach you. :-)

I dove? dive'd? competitive with Etobicoke dive club in Toronto back in the last century. I didn't go to college, just hung around my future wife at her university and sometimes dove with the university team and helped with coaching. ..... All sanctioned meets up here in Ontario have a masters division after the Tier diving is complete for each event of 1m, 3m and tower....I would assume it would be the same in the states?

Don't give up the dream, divers are friendly and I'm sure at your pool there are some divers who would be glad to help you out. : - )
Last edited by: jgp: Feb 2, 09 21:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2,100 scy

400 Free Warm Up
200 Kick

6x75 on 1:10
5x50 on 0:55
1x200 on 04:00
3x100 on 01:40

300 Cool Down (Free/Breast alt)

I started off trying to do the posted club set (not the one above) but holy crap you need to be a mathematician and a have a perfect memory. It was something like this:
3x(3x75) Alt FR,Stroke,FR Descending)
3x(3x50) with an arrow drawn point up to the text portion of the set above
3x(3x25) with an arrow pointing up.

Then there was a big not saying, 'DESCEND! Feel free to mix in different strokes". I looked at it and thought WTF? I didn't know how to put it together, if rests were allowed anywhere, and promptly lost count after the #2 set of the 75s though I swam a few more I am not counting them because I can't remember where I was in the set, lol. I got pissed, switched over to my standard intervals and cranked out a nice 250 with authority and plenty of wall rest. I should've done the interval on 0:50 as I had plenty of time. Finished off the rest of my set with my standard issue and had a good work out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll finally jump in on one of these...can I hop in for 30k SCY

Participating on the log - can do spreadsheet too if needed.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in. This will be my first time doing the swim challenge. I am trying for 4x a wk
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Montaney [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I absolutely, positively, 100% guarantee that I will not swim any less than I did in January!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: February 1 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get off the wall and start swimming!

;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try to get back into the swing of things. Can only get in the water once this week, but it will be at Miami University so I am psyched - the nicest pool I have ever seen.

So, I'm shooting for 30,000 yds. this month.

Thanks TC.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I absolutely, positively, 100% guarantee that I will not swim any less than I did in January!
LOL! I'm with you on this one. I'm in for ohhhh, 50k in 3 swims a week. It will definitely be more than my goosegg for January!

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Once a week, an average of 2,000 yards each time, is sufficient for me for now, as I'm training for the St. Louis Marathon and swim and bike just to break the monotony. Every Friday, during my lunch, I hit the pool. Yeah.

-------------------------------------------
"The hero is someone in continual opposition to the status quo. The hero is always becoming himself." Jos� Ortega y Gasset.

"The enthusiasm (absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit) is needed before breaking the milestone and not after." Sergio Escutia, on Lukas Verzbicas' subdued reaction to breaking 4 minutes in the mile.
Quote Reply

Prev Next