Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Favorite Tri Suit
Quote | Reply
Looking at getting a new Tri suit. Have been wearing the same one for 3 years and it is old and tired.

So what's your favorite. I am not looking to spend $500 here or anything, but just a quality suit. Competition wise I am your standard age grouper. I can compete for spots at AG nationals at local tris, but am not going to qualify for Kona or anything. Just looking for something comfortable that I can enjoy wearing for a year or two.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tri Suit [tnywest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwami Spider LD Aero http://www.kiwamitri.com/product-p/spidlda.htm

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Champion Systems sleeved 1 piece. I get them through my tri club. Not sure how expensive they are if you have just 1 made.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2 on any of the Kiwami suits. Comfortable, extremely functional with the latest technology and very long lasting. You'll be really glad you went to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x3 on the Kiwami suits. It's a superior material. I just wish they had cooler color combos and patterns.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tri Suit [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Champion Systems sleeved 1 piece. I get them through my tri club. Not sure how expensive they are if you have just 1 made.

$595 for a 1 piece Apex sleeved suit from Champion Systems.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 19, 16 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tri Suit [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

Order 10 pieces. Then it is far cheaper. There cycling clothing is really nice, the bib shorts I got this year are the nicest I have ever owned (great Chamois). The run shirts are also sweet.

I have the speed suit, needed to buy the large to fit my chest, but the shoulder have significant wrinkles in that size. So that was a bummer.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tri Suit [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't need 10 pieces.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

Not sure if I have the Apex, but I'm glad I didn't pay nearly that much!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
BryanD wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

Not sure if I have the Apex, but I'm glad I didn't pay nearly that much!!!
That's only if you order 1 suit from them. Most people do team orders which drives the cost down.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto liftfoil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X 1 million for Kiwami. I have used the Prima XC top/bottom and the Amphibian Prima(sleeveless, back zipper, acts as a swim skin) for 3 Ironman and many sprints and probably 5-6x70.3's. I just purchased the LD Spider Aero Sleeved Kit for augusta 70.3. I have also used the Kiwami Aero wings over my sleeveless tri suit. You will not find a company w better customer service (ANDRE is AWESOME), better quality (my prima XC shorts have thousands of miles on them) and better fit/performance (I have tried many sleeved tops and the design behind the Spider LD Aero is incredible). Never have I had saddle issues, chaffing or any negative issues w Kiwami products. You get what you pay for.
Last edited by: cmsamp3: Jul 19, 16 19:36
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tri Suit [cmsamp3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Andre is amazing. The Kiwami Spider LD Aero is a fast suit, the fit is perfect, and I love how it looks. I loved my sleeveless suit from Kiwami too.

Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 19, 16 19:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:

How is the fit of the champ sys sleeved 1 piece suit, how does it fit you in the arms and shoulders? My club also gets our gear through champ sys so I think the performance tri suit is more like 200 with team pricing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last season, I bought the 2014 Castelli Body Paint SR Tri Suit Short Sleeve. I literally couldn't find the large size stateside, and thought I got the last one in the western world from a small shop in the UK! It's virtually impossible to find anymore but I'm obsessed with it and recommend anything similar. It's pretty much what it sounds like, but it's key feature is a flap to pee, which is a huge benefit for non competitive male age groupers who don't need to pee in their kit to save their day. They're also one of the few one piece sleeved with back pockets, which many, like the 2014 Scody's, unexplainably lack.

It's bittersweet that I became a huge Castelli fan immediately after racing Whistler with it, and they discontinued it so quickly. If/when it ever starts to disintegrate, I'll probably buy the Sanremo, which has the same flap and front zipper. I also see a lot of fast folks wearing the Stealth sleeved tops in long course, which lets you pick your favorite shorts.

As a coach and club organizer, I obviously used Champion Systems in the past. But when they changed the cuts in 2014, seemingly unannounced, they screwed me (and several clubs I know) bad with a team of folks with ill-fitting apparel. Flame if you want, but same piece of apparel that year suddenly lost an inch in the leg, waist height, and on the bottom of the tops (compared to winter sizing samples.) Caused everybody to have short Euro shots with ass crack and protruding bellies. Oh, the crap I got! Not a way to make friends on your team.

CS is a great company, and tops for custom, but if comfort and quality is priority, you will NEVER regret Castelli or LG sleeved kits. I'm repeatedly getting passed by Team EMJ and LG/Garneau cyclists in LG kits, and those guys are beasts!
Last edited by: HankRearden: Jul 19, 16 20:57
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tri Suit [HankRearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the Castelli Free San Remo sleeved suit and sold it. I heard it tested slow, it had lots of wrinkles in the arms, and the see through mesh panel on the back gave me a sunburn. I sold it and got the Kiwami Spider LD Aero.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So today I got a demo Kiwami Spider LD Aero suit to try on.

Fits well, a bit snug, I went with an L, I might need to go XL, or just drop about 5 pounds. Overall I love the suit, but....it's black and a bit heavy. I am worried of overheating in it, I don't do too well in the heat.

For those that have raced 70.3 and Ironmans in it.

How did you manage?
Does the suit run a bit hotter? Is it easy to stay cool in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you Bryan. Have used the sleeveless Spider but now have the Sleeved Spider and it is so amazing. Even great to swim in, but unlike any of the other products out there, I love the extra compression on the quads and hamstrings. This past weekend I did a 1/2 IM undertrained and the support from the compression made the run so much easier than it would have been with other suits. I have been with Kiwami from the 1st days in the US and constantly am amazed with how they keep raising the bar. The ONLY thing we buy that we use for the entire race! Don't cut costs there. I'll be with them as long as this body keeps moving....#triedofcrappytriwear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried virklon desoto castelli zoot and I have an lg at home when I get there to try but the zoot was my favorite it has sleeves a nice pad for both bike and run and pockets in the back but the zipper was garbage and broke in a year. I'll probably get it tailored tho
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Jul 20, 16 1:57
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tri Suit [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
So today I got a demo Kiwami Spider LD Aero suit to try on.

Fits well, a bit snug, I went with an L, I might need to go XL, or just drop about 5 pounds. Overall I love the suit, but....it's black and a bit heavy. I am worried of overheating in it, I don't do too well in the heat.

For those that have raced 70.3 and Ironmans in it.

How did you manage?
Does the suit run a bit hotter? Is it easy to stay cool in?

I did Challenge Florida last year with it in the 95+ heat. While the race turned out to be a death march for me I don't think I'd have been any hotter in any other suit. I did pull the top down though.

edit: I misread the suit you mentioned. I use the rear zip and not the LD Aero
Last edited by: jaretj: Jul 20, 16 3:51
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tri Suit [ohio_tri_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been pretty unhappy with my Champion Systems Apex speed suit.
  • Fit: I'm 178cm, 69kg and bought a medium. The chest is tight enough that I need to unzip it on the run or it restricts my breathing, but the arms/shoulders are a little loose and have a bit of bunching.
  • Material: It uses the same material everywhere, so the back doesn't vent as well as other suits with thinner materials on the back and sides, plus the arms don't have the texture you see on more aero suits.
  • Stitching: The first time I wore it under a wetsuit the stitching gave me terrible chaffing on my arm pits.
  • Zipper: The zipper broke after two usages and it's now stuck at the bottom.

They may be good for custom gear, but for for the same price you can get better stuff off the shelf.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tri Suit [pnewhook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer, not exactly a ringing endorsement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like and have the orca rs1 dream kona.. Very nice material and suppose to be fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tri Suit [pnewhook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pnewhook wrote:
I've been pretty unhappy with my Champion Systems Apex speed suit.
  • Fit: I'm 178cm, 69kg and bought a medium. The chest is tight enough that I need to unzip it on the run or it restricts my breathing, but the arms/shoulders are a little loose and have a bit of bunching.
  • Material: It uses the same material everywhere, so the back doesn't vent as well as other suits with thinner materials on the back and sides, plus the arms don't have the texture you see on more aero suits.
  • Stitching: The first time I wore it under a wetsuit the stitching gave me terrible chaffing on my arm pits.
  • Zipper: The zipper broke after two usages and it's now stuck at the bottom.

They may be good for custom gear, but for for the same price you can get better stuff off the shelf.

I will agree with this fit assessment . I am 178cm but weigh 82Kg. I bought the large suit, tight in the chest and biceps, loose in the shoulder and around the neck. The seam across the chest and under the arm pits drives me crazy, but I have not had chaffing.

Zipper has worked fine through several uses, but not sure how it will hold up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure a long-sleeved trisuit is the best for a short-course triathlete. I would like one but since I almost exclusively do short stuff, I came to the conclusion that...you are either swimming with the sleeves on--less than ideal for swimming (I think) or trying to put it on in transition and could very well end up spending more time doing so than time saved from wearing the suit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next