Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Favorite Earphones
Quote | Reply
  Looking to get a new set of earphones for my Ipod. A few years ago I had the Etymotic brand which had excellent sound quality but sweat seemed to "gum them up" after a couple of long runs and I would have to replace the ear plugs. Then I purchased the lower end Shures which I didn't like since you have to loop the cord around your ear lobe and the cord was bulky. I've heard better reports for the higher end Shures (E3C) but they're not cheap. Any input would be appreciated: I sense most of them are not designed to be used during prolonged exercise like running.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Earphones [Jack Bauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the E3Cs - great sound quality. Loose a little base to the E5Cs since they have separate drivers and a little mini crossover, but aren't worth the $500 asking price. You can get some E3Cs for about $170. You don't have to loop the cord around your ear with them, but I do when running and run it down the back so as not to hear the cord "rub" noise since these are isolation type units.

They come with all kinds of sizes of plugs and such, but I highly recommend springing the extra $15 for their triple flange plugs as they really help the bass and completely seal off the external environment.

Re: Favorite Earphones [Jack Bauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Shure E3c's and they sound awesome. There quality sound do in large part to the fact they block out virtually all outside sound thus creating a controlled environment in your ear. So, in addition to sounding great, they are particulalry nice if want to listen to music in noisy places like on a plane. A couple of weeks ago I was using them while I was using my leaf blower and I still only had to have the volume on my iPod 1/2 way up to enjoy some music. I use them on my trainer (never outside) and I don't have a problem with sweat etc. I bought a large pack of the compressible yellow foam earpieces and just throw them out after a couple of weeks when they get dirty or waxy.
Quote Reply