Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fat Guy at Lake Placid
Quote | Reply
A little bit of background...im not the lightest guy in our sport...currently around 225lbs...with hopes to get down to 190-200lbs for IMLP.

Currently I ride a tri-bike and I live in mostly flat country...very little hills...but feel very good on this bike.....

I have been thinking about purchasing a new road bike to go along with my tri-bike.....specifically for riding at IMLP (A race this year)...Another thought is to go with the trend of training with power and invest in a Power Tap and save a few $$....The bike I am looking to purchase is around $2500.

What are your thoughts? Would you stick with a road or a tri-bike at LP? Im not the strongest rider...and given the hills...do you think I should look to ride on a road setup?

http://cmkracing.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Guy at Lake Placid [fatman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For $2500, I would go with a PowerTap ($900), PowerCranks ($800), new bike shoes ($150), aero helmet ($150), new wetsuit ($300), racing flats ($85), and a new saddle ($115, plus now is good time of year to get used to a new saddle).

Isn't that a lot of good stuff? It will all make you faster or more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Guy at Lake Placid [ezrahallam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...I have all of that except for the power tap...and power cranks...

Thanks for the advice!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then get the PowerTap and PowerCranks and invest the $800 left in oil. They seem to be doing pretty well at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay with the tri bike. Ride it a lot. Loose the weight.

If you want to spend a few $$. Take one or two trips to LP with a copy of Gordo's tips http://www.byrn.org/gtips/imlp.htm to recon the course. If anything it will calm some of the pre race nerves you'll have.

BTW Dev Paul has a pretty good training day (Epicman)(and it's free) on the LP course usually the second Thursday in June. Probably the best bang for your buck.

Good Luck!

Trevor
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Guy at Lake Placid [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...I have also read Gordo's article on the Lake Placid course...it was awesome...I will look to go to Dev's camp....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
A little bit of background...im not the lightest guy in our sport...currently around 225lbs...with hopes to get down to 190-200lbs for IMLP.

Currently I ride a tri-bike and I live in mostly flat country...very little hills...but feel very good on this bike.....

I have been thinking about purchasing a new road bike to go along with my tri-bike.....specifically for riding at IMLP (A race this year)...Another thought is to go with the trend of training with power and invest in a Power Tap and save a few $$....The bike I am looking to purchase is around $2500.

What are your thoughts? Would you stick with a road or a tri-bike at LP? Im not the strongest rider...and given the hills...do you think I should look to ride on a road setup? [/reply]

Nope. I weigh the same as you, drive a Kestrel and don't need a Power Crap. Why would you need one?

Stick with your tri-bike, push away from the table and work the weight off. Better yet, put the money toward your 2005 Roth IRA contribution--and keep riding. Set a goal of losing x pounds by Xmas, then 1 Feb, blah, blah, blah.

Your tri-bike and retirement will be happiER.

- kd

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is with all the fat stuff? Screen name, fatman, Fat guy at LP etc?

At least you have the balls to sign up for an Ironman and train for it. Give yourself some credit, work had at losing the weight and be proud of yourself.

If you have the $$$ just get the powertap, and ride the hell out of your bike.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Guy at Lake Placid [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's wrong with being fat? i've seen some smokin fast fat guys and girls!! :) right on. the fatman deserves some credit for getting out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah same thoughts here. have no idea how tall this man is, but depending on build and height, 220 is just right--my brother in law at this weight is LEAN!

but back to the point, my first advice for this poster is to stop reinforcing "fat". it's negative.

and, to get a road bike, because they're fun. ;P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just gonna say...

I've never been to Lake Placid, dammit!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is very important to lose the weight. The hills will kill you on the bike. More importantly, I hate it when fat guys blow by me going uphill on the bike.

I have learned to accept seeing these little 94 pound babes blow by me on the hills, mostly because it enhances my viewing pleasure. With any luck, I catch them on the downhill so I get to enjoy their company two or three times before they drop me like a cheap date.

None of that applies in your case. So you can see, it is important to lose the weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick with tribike. Buy powertap to improve your training and control your efforts on the first lap. The first thing you'll learn with a PT is that you climb with too much power when you're fresh. We all do it, and it's a very bad thing to do at LP.

Finally -- get compact cranks and a 12-27 cassette. Nobody, but nobody, has ever finished that course and said, "Dang, I wish I had brought taller gearing."
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Guy at Lake Placid [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
what's wrong with being fat? i've seen some smokin fast fat guys and girls!! :) right on.

Reminds me of a humbling moment at LP in 2002. I was shuffling/walking at around mile 20 when this short, chubby middle-aged lady went jogging past. I am ashamed to admit it, but for a brief moment I thought, "Sheesh...look at her. She should get in shape."

Then, of course, it occured to me that she was the one passing me.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Guy at Lake Placid [Kestrel Driver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed about pushing away from the table :-))....I have simliair goals...like I said I have no doubt that I will get down to 190-200lbs by LP...I was more concerned with the elevation at LP....and what a tri-bike vs. road bike would offer...since im not the best climber....

From what I have read ...the Power Tap could become a huge advantage to a guy like myself on a course like LP...MOPer and the probability of pushing way too hard on the hils...I have always used PE and HR and it's worked well...so i may just try to experiment with power....(tons of info and schools of thought out there

Retirement is fine!!! Triathlon is my hobby!!

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks...Screen name is more for humor than anything....Im not fat...just a big guy...broad shoulder...used to be a fishie that specialized in sprints.....6 foot 2...

Now...compared too most in this sport...I am on the heavier side! I have no problems with it..my knees may disagree! Fat Guy at Lake Placid...was more for hits than anything..I love some of the advice on this forum..

I think I am going to lean toward the power tap..and like you said...just ride the hell out of the bike....

Quote Reply
Re: Fat Guy at Lake Placid [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...great advice....That seems to generally be my problem in other events I have done...I tend to crank way to hard since Im usually being passed by the small folks on the uphill...but boy its fun on the downhill!

Quote Reply