Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fastest wheels and tires for p Series bike
Quote | Reply
Maybe it is rider dependent?

If not what would be the fastest, both aerodynamic as well as rolling resistance

Front wheel and tire brand and size?

Rear disc, tire brand and size?

Tubeless? Innertube?

Do you believe the Silca rule of 105?
Last edited by: MrTri123: Nov 20, 23 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheels and tires for p Series bike [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Maybe it is rider dependent?

If not what would be the fastest, both aerodynamic as well as rolling resistance

Front wheel and tire brand and size?

Rear disc, tire brand and size?

Absent testing, the current Slowtwitch FTS (Fastest Known Setup) would be something like an AEOX Titan in front, and then a lenticular disc, either AEOX or any quality disc.

If going flat-resistance-be-damned Veloflex Record non-tubeless with a latex tube. If you want some flat resistance, then the Vittoria Corsa Speed either tubeless (my preference) or with a latex tube.

Quote:
Do you believe the Silca rule of 105?

Still a reasonable rule of thumb, e.g. for the Titan above, no wider than a 25mm tires is recommended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run tubeless 28c GP5000's with my P-Series, with a SwissSide 62mm/80mm wheelset. On race day I'll run their rear disc. I think you could fit 30's, but it would be a tight fit and is probably more dependent on the inner width of your wheels. I'd wager that tire choice and PSI makes a bigger difference than say HED vs. DT Swiss vs. Enve vs. Zipp, or any other top performing wheelset. I'm not sure about the rule of 105 any more but my SwissSide front is ever so slightly wider than the 28c GP5000 inflated to 65-70psi. It seems like a pretty fast setup to me, and more importantly it's compliant in the wind. I think good tubeless tires with any solid aero wheelset checks the box, the rest of the gains will come from helmet, position, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Is it bike dependent? Yes, e.g. Canyon claims they optimised the Speedmax around 25mm front and 28mm rear tires.
  • Is it rider dependent? Yes, e.g. different tire volume will be preferred by a 60kg rider and a 120kg rider.

But also (among others):
  • It's surface dependent, because you'd prefer different tire size & pressure in a velodrome compared to e.g. typical UK roads.
  • It's weather dependent, because you'd prefer different tire (size & compound) & pressure depending whether it's 0 degrees Celsius and rain or 25 degrees Celsius and sun.
  • It's competition format related, because you might be OK doing 10mile TT on a fully aero optimised setup, but you might want less vibration in an IM bike leg.

You've asked a question, which is extremely complex and you expect a simple answer... 'in most cases' you'll be best with 80mm front/rear disc, setup tubeless with Conti 5000 TT/Vittoria Speed/Pirelli P-Zero, with 105 rule applied, with pressure adjusted to your weight, environmental conditions and your bike limitations.

Quote Reply