Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fast Old Guys at Century Ride
Quote | Reply
This past weekend, I participated in an event with a 100 mile ride with a legit 10,000 ft of climbing. The top five guys essentially all went 19mph or faster average. Impressive, or not impressive, what got me was they were all Over the age of 50. I believe two were over 60 years old, and one was close to 60 (57, I think).

Now, I'm not accusing these guys of anything. I'm just a lot more paranoid now than I used to be. These older guys, at this event, have probably always been fast dudes. Last year, because of an injury I could not run, so I spent a lot of time riding with cyclists. During that time, I was able to talk with a lot of these guys during long time rides. It absolutely amazed me the number of guys, 40 years old and up, who are using testosterone. I know it's wrong, but every time I see fast results with older athletes, I am suspicious. Hate to feel that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Old Guys at Century Ride [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could definitely be on something, but the other thing to consider is that a lot of these older guys are basically professional cyclists. Retired with a lot of money and ride everyday. There's several in my cycling club like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the own age group is known for decades, it's getting easy to deal with what's going on ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: Jul 10, 17 5:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a century ride, not a race. They an do anything they want.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Old Guys at Century Ride [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could definitely be on something, but the other thing to consider is that a lot of these older guys are basically professional cyclists//

Ha, you write these two thoughts like they are different. Little to no testing(like the pros in the old days) and dudes with too much money and time, of course they train like professional cyclists... (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Old man strength" has been around for a while, and it can happen naturally.

Mandelbaum ... Mandelbaum ... Mandelbaum
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty suspicious of one guy in my area - a guy in this 50's about 10 years older than me. During the actual racing season he raced down in my age group. And he was pretty good, but he never beat me - I could drop him on climbs when I really wanted to. Then on a century ride a few months after the race season, he dropped me on a 20-minute climb like I was nothing. I averaged around 400W (~5.2W/kg) for nearly 10 minutes hanging on this wheel before I cracked, and he just casually pulled away.

Some other guys in their 50's are really fast, but I don't suspect them as much because they have a history, and are fast all year.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Old Guys at Century Ride [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much of a % boost can you expect on T or other supplement when you are late 50/60's?
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Old Guys at Century Ride [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
How much of a % boost can you expect on T or other supplement when you are late 50/60's?

I have no idea!
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Old Guys at Century Ride [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:

I've got a friend who said he started T last year. He is 56 years old. Longtime racer and been using power for a long time. His training has not changed but he says his FTP is up 20 watts and he can go much longer, without tiring out like he used to. He has stopped racing and actually does not come out for group rides much anymore.
Quote Reply