Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Faring the first HIM
Quote | Reply
I have a chance to do a HIM this Saturday on a pancake flat coarse on Lake Ontario,NY. The Incredoubleman.
I've only done OLY 2 this year. The swim of only .3mi more than an OLY does not concern me. My training for running and biking is on hills mainly. With biking its distances of 30-35 miles for 2500ft elevation change. Recently a 45miler. My long runs have been 10-13mi runs for the longs. Not bricks though. Mainly 6-8 mile runs.
Should I go for it and do it? It will be the final one for the year.
The 56mi bike only elevates to 780ft.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Faring the first HIM [osteomark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't go out too hard and you'll survive :) Have fun!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pace yourself on the bike and you'll finish OK. I'd be more concerned without having a nutrition plan in advance but you'll likely figure it out along the way so long as you're not gunning for the podium.

780ft of elevation gain over 56 miles......hot damn I'd love to race that.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
osteomark wrote:
I have a chance to do a HIM this Saturday on a pancake flat coarse on Lake Ontario,NY. The Incredoubleman.
I've only done OLY 2 this year. The swim of only .3mi more than an OLY does not concern me. My training for running and biking is on hills mainly. With biking its distances of 30-35 miles for 2500ft elevation change. Recently a 45miler. My long runs have been 10-13mi runs for the longs. Not bricks though. Mainly 6-8 mile runs.
Should I go for it and do it? It will be the final one for the year.
The 56mi bike only elevates to 780ft.
Thanks

I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you saying that you train with 250ft elevation changes but the race only has 780 ft of gain?

Either way, do you want to race? Then race. Have fun. I officially give you permission.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Faring the first HIM [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Verrry flat. I almost feel like I'll never be this way again and going for it. 780ft. I do that in 10miles or less sometimes on hill repeat days.
I'll have the Hammer gels at the ready. I usually do one every 45mi. I'll stay hydrated. Normally go through one 20 oz bottle in the 25 mile bike of an OLY. I'll put on an extra cage on the down tube and should be set for 56mi.
4 days ago I just did a hilly mother of an 11 mi run and was around 9:00min/mi and 1/2 bottle of Scratch in water (not Scotch in water! Although after 2 emergency BM stops near poison ivy, I wish I did have scotch!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pace the bike within yourself, don't go out fast like most. Get your nutrition in (you should have practiced this) and pace the run evenly (it will feel slow at first.... it WONT later) and you'll be fine. Keep drinking at aide stations. Eat a gel if you feel like it.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohhh. I misread the thread title as Farting the first HIM...
Anyway - you'll do fine but expect to be feeling tired in the last half of the run. Take it easy on the bike and you'll finish fine.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Faring the first HIM [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBanter. 2500ft elevation change not 250ft.
Doubletime: Farting. Yep did a lot of that. Just noticed some poison ivy on my right forefinger. I hope the nether regions don't suddenly show something:(
Pacing the bike is going to be the issue because I do avg around 20-21 mi/hr for my last several OLY's so I have to keep that in check. 18-19 mi/hr would be better I think. Although I do have the tendency to want to catch the biker in front of me. That works in OLY's but I'm sure I'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul. It's more important for me to remain vertical on the run and not pull one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKhkvSRQZYo
Last edited by: osteomark: Sep 10, 14 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmm, the bike course turned out to be not so flat; definitely more than 768ft gain for the 90k; the 7C temp, wind and rain didn't help

but, it was virtually traffic-free (and dog-free - the dogs were smart to stay indoors that day); the rain vest I wore may have been an aero drag, but I'm glad I had it, otherwise I would have gone hypothermic really fast
Quote Reply