Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Face Planted on Today's Ride
Quote | Reply
I was out riding and went to pass a slow moving SUV and he turned in front of me just as I entered the point of no return. Luckily, I was on the hoods and not going very fast but my face hit the side of his SUV then the ground shortly thereafter. I picked myself up and noticed 20 people on the road trying to figure out what just happened and a lady in a car that was behind us was already offering her phone number as a witness. I walked over to talk to the driver and he said he had no clue what had just happened. Accidents are accidents. I understand. People make mistakes and besides my face, both wrists, and my right knee being sore, I wasn't feeling too bad, but it really annoyed me that he didn't get out of his SUV until after I had checked my bike and asked him to get out of his SUV to talk with me about what had happened. That upset me enough that I basically lectured him for 5 minutes about ethics and responsibility. He's young so it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't listen to a word I said but it made me feel better.

Ironically, I finally got an invite to the ZWIFT beta and figured I'd ride a couple of hours then try out the beta tonight. Not going to happen especially since a tennis ball sized bump formed below my right knee cap and I'm sure I'll be a lot sorer tomorrow.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: Face Planted on Today's Ride [-W-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least he stopped and didn't do a hit and run. Glad you're alright and hopefully he learned a lesson today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-W- wrote:
I was out riding and went to pass a slow moving SUV and he turned in front of me just as I entered the point of no return. Luckily, I was on the hoods and not going very fast but my face hit the side of his SUV then the ground shortly thereafter. I picked myself up and noticed 20 people on the road trying to figure out what just happened and a lady in a car that was behind us was already offering her phone number as a witness. I walked over to talk to the driver and he said he had no clue what had just happened. Accidents are accidents. I understand.
Is that a photo of just before the crash, with the SUV on the left?

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Nov 23, 14 2:32
Quote Reply
Re: Face Planted on Today's Ride [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
-W- wrote:
I was out riding and went to pass a slow moving SUV and he turned in front of me just as I entered the point of no return. Luckily, I was on the hoods and not going very fast but my face hit the side of his SUV then the ground shortly thereafter. I picked myself up and noticed 20 people on the road trying to figure out what just happened and a lady in a car that was behind us was already offering her phone number as a witness. I walked over to talk to the driver and he said he had no clue what had just happened. Accidents are accidents. I understand.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Face Planted on Today's Ride [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBrad02 wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
-W- wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking.

If so, I'd say his seat's definitely too low.

Seriously, to the OP, glad you survived to talk about it - all the best for a swift recovery.

Quote | Reply
That sucks hope you get better soon. Looks like Fiesta Island south side where there was a waterski competition yesterday. I was there at about noon getting some laps in on a short ride. I normally don't go there on weekends as this is typical of what I have seen. People just don't care and don't look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry to hear about this, hope you are feeling better. However...always always always file a police report. You are not a doctor. You may feel fine, but 'what if' next week your wrist is actually broken? Luckily the incident was minor, but local and state agencies add those reports to annual statistics. It's not necessarily about punishing the driver as it is about reviewing the road infrastructure. As another mentioned, this is Fiesta Island...wouldn't it be awesome for everyone if it were car free?

"it really annoyed me that he didn't get out of his SUV until after I had checked my bike and asked him to get out of his SUV to talk with me"

Your comments here have me thinking again about a theory I have: people feel that the Car is the Safe Place. "If I am in my car, I am safe, the world will not hurt me". There was a news story this week about a woman who stalled her car on RR tracks, with a train approaching. Another driver went to help and she refused to get out of the car despite the impeding danger. The other driver resorted to physically pulling her from her vehicle before the train hit it.

Automobile advertising and inculcation has hammered 'Safety = Our Product' for decades. In a Swiftian twist, let's take out all the seatbelts, crumple zones and airbags so we are terrified of driving, for fear of injury to ourselves. The narcissism of protection is sociopathic. Only then will people want to get out of there cars and onto bikes, walking or public trans. Or at least drive slower and with more care.

stepping off my soapbox now.....

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was out riding and went to pass a slow moving SUV and he turned in front of me just as I entered the point of no return.

That sucks, but if you passed him on the right, then you are the one who should be apologizing.

Quote Reply
Re: Face Planted on Today's Ride [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know in Minnesota it is perfectly legal to overtake a vehicle on the right "if it is safe to do so." I am going to go out on a limb and assume that the OP knows not to pass someone on the right if they have their right blinker on and are slowing, that is pretty indicative of them turning right. Having been struck by a vehicle I hope you heal up and are back at it soon.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Face Planted on Today's Ride [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know in Minnesota it is perfectly legal to overtake a vehicle on the right "if it is safe to do so."

Doesn't "legal" mean you won't get a ticket for doing it.... and "if it is safe" means that it's your responsibility to make it safe?

Reminds me of lane splitting on motorcycles in LA. It's legal to do... but if a car moves into you, it's your fault.

Quote Reply
Re: Face Planted on Today's Ride [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Doesn't "legal" mean you won't get a ticket for doing it.... and "if it is safe" means that it's your responsibility to make it safe?
Unless the turning vehicle was crossing a traffic lane moving in the same direction (e.g., turning right from the left lane), it was the overtaking vehicles fault. Whether either vehicle was car, bicycle, motorcycle, or horse drawn carriage is immaterial.
Quote Reply
Re: Face Planted on Today's Ride [asgelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asgelle wrote:
rruff wrote:

Unless the turning vehicle was crossing a traffic lane moving in the same direction (e.g., turning right from the left lane), it was the overtaking vehicles fault. Whether either vehicle was car, bicycle, motorcycle, or horse drawn carriage is immaterial.
Is whether or not the turning vehicle signaled relevant? In a lot of places, you're supposed to signal before turning or changing lanes.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Face Planted on Today's Ride [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
That sucks hope you get better soon. Looks like Fiesta Island south side where there was a waterski competition yesterday. I was there at about noon getting some laps in on a short ride. I normally don't go there on weekends as this is typical of what I have seen. People just don't care and don't look.

Yup, you got it right on the money, late afternoon towards the end of the competition. I normally go at sun up but wanted to get a quick ride in, test a camera mount (it works!), and reach milestones of 1000 km on the road and 1000 miles including indoors. The guy was looking for a parking spot and suddenly turned off road without signalling. Regardless of who's at fault, I lived that valuable lesson that a small incident in a car can be a big incident on a bike and now understand why the fast looking guys are so hesitant to pass cars.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Both wrists are still pretty sore but I'm sure I'll be out there in a couple of days.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: Face Planted on Today's Ride [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Is whether or not the turning vehicle signaled relevant? In a lot of places, you're supposed to signal before turning or changing lanes.

I got hit once when I tried passing on the right, and the car made a right turn. The car was stopped momentarily, waiting for the car in front of her to turn left. First car turned, she started up and turned right without signaling. (had her signal been on I would not have tried passing).

I got a ticket for passing on the right. Which I contested, bringing an attorney who happened to be a teammate at the time. The magistrate listened to the explanation and said the blame was 50-50. Partly on her for not signaling, and partly on me for passing in the right. Which I think was fair. I was surely in her blind spot, which is why passing on the right is usually not a good idea.

I would say that probably applies to the OP here too.
Quote Reply
Re: Face Planted on Today's Ride [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello BrianB and All,

Different states handle right turns differently:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/...007/10/bikeanim.html

As it shows here in California a merge with car is expected .... but not so in Oregon.

The 'right hook' is dangerous.

Some trucks now have sideguards for aero properties that might help.

Others just have bars like this:

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/...e-guard-ordinance-2/

Hope you get well soon.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Fiesta alright. I was in the front left position on the now famous "Fiesta Island wrong way driver plowing head on into our pack" training ride crash.

Glad your ok! Our group was not so lucky......with 6 riders going to the hospital and of course Juan Carlos paralized from the chest down.

Still, to this day, I cannot get that vision of her coming right at us out my mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Face Planted on Today's Ride [D.K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D.K. wrote:
Yes, Fiesta alright. I was in the front left position on the now famous "Fiesta Island wrong way driver plowing head on into our pack" training ride crash.

Glad your ok! Our group was not so lucky......with 6 riders going to the hospital and of course Juan Carlos paralized from the chest down.

Still, to this day, I cannot get that vision of her coming right at us out my mind.

I hope you recover both physically and mentally. I found out about that horrible accident the day after while riding a few laps with a friend. A couple of weeks later on an early Saturday morning, I noticed that they were removing those huge bushes that limited one's sight around that bend. I talked with a worker who said that they were also adding more signage. That's great but no guarantee that a driver is going to see any of them let alone a driver who is impaired. Despite a few potential incidents including my own encounter with someone driving the wrong way, I'll continue doing laps until I find a safer venue within a reasonable distance.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Annndddd this is why I don't drive anymore. Everything about it is noxious
Quote Reply