Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP test 4 days before HIM??
Quote | Reply
Alright folks, I just bought a new bike (2014 Plasma 3 10) and put a Quarq Elsa pm on it. I'll post pics when seat post is cut and I'm properly fit. I have never used power as a training or racing tool. I am racing a 70.3 next weekend, Saturday April 26th. I will not be fit properly on the bike until Tuesday of race week. I'd really like to do an FTP (20 min) test so that I can use the data during the bike portion of the race. This race for me is NOT an "A" race. Though I'd like to give a solid effort and test my fitness before IMC at the end of July. I plan to take it pretty easy next week (couple easy 30 min runs, maybe a 45 min ride or two, and swim a few days). I'm in pretty good shape and tend to not take very long to recover from a hard workout. I'm 31, 6'2", and 183lbs if that matters...

My question; Is it going to be a bad idea to hammer out an FTP test on Tuesday evening, ~3.5 days before the race? I think I'll be fine, just wanted to see if anyone had any input.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: FTP test 4 days before HIM?? [Bigant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not. Plus, I'd argue a 20 minute test will tell you nothing on how to pace a 2:30~ HIM bike split. Too late to have the data you need to really leverage the Quarq. I'd just do the race by feel and heart rate and let that reace be data point number one as you learn the way of the watt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and no. You'll get an FTP number which you could use to gauge your effort but in reality you should be gauging effort based on your training. Go by the efforts you have trained for, record the power data from the race and use it going forward. I'd actually recommend an FTP test 2-3 weeks after the race and then do comparisons and use that data to build your plan going forward.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: FTP test 4 days before HIM?? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1... You'd be better off doing a 60-90 minute ride in high z2 low Z3 based on HR. From there you've got an idea on where your power is related to that HR. Race with that (or push a little higher if you want) and see how the chips fall. This isn't your "A" race, so it isn't going to kill you of you don't have the perfect run. After your 70.3, start figuring out your FTP and getting comfortable riding with power and figure out your pacing for IMC...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20 minutes hard will not hurt you 3.5 days later provided you are tapering normal after that. Your numbers might not be perfect but how many chances do you get to pace yourself by your PM in an actual race? Do it for sure, shoot for 75-80% of that 20 minute number, but do not get hung up on it during the race. You are doing it to educate yourself and next time you will have a better idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing the test and then using those numbers in a race is not a good idea in my opinion. Even when you know your FTP you don't know exactly which % to go at and be able to run well afterwards. 4 days is not long enough to test a power meter and then plan a race strategy of it. It'll take some time gathering raw/blind data before you can build a training plan and experimenting with race strategies.

How about this as a plan?

Hammer out your best overall race strategy as you currently envisage it.
Do the race and record the results (don't look at it).
Recover, do an FTP some days/weeks later (again doing it blind).

Then look at the results. What is your FTP, what % of that did you do in the race. How did you feel.

If you did a low % of FTP in the race and felt really strong on the run you know you can go harder on the bike next time.
If you did a low % of FTP in the race and suffered in the run, then you know you need to work on your bike fitness.
If you did a sensible % of FTP in the race and suffered in the run, then you know you need to work on your run.
If you did a high % of FTP in the race and ran strong, then you're either a really strong cyclist or you need to retest.
If you did a high % of FTP in the race and suffered in the run, then you can experiment with lowering the % of FTP in future and seeing how it impacts the run.

Although there are many best practises written in many books, you have to remember they're guidelines and you have to calibrate to your own athletic abilities/prowess
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your 1st ride on the bike is going to be an FTP session?

Can I please use that as an example of what not to do?

In all seriousness, I wouldn't do it, but I would use the PM during the race for data collection purposes. If I were you, I'd cover the PM number during the race as well and race off how you trained, because I can see a recipe for "chasing" a number so to speak.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: FTP test 4 days before HIM?? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Getting new equipment the week before a race is FAR from optimal.
2) But.... since you have it, not a terrible idea just to get a baseline. Its' not a bad workout session 4 days out for someone trained for a 70.3.

You'll still have to ride off RPE since you have no real data to go off of, but for the first 20 miles or so it can help you set a ceiling on your pace at least. As... "gee my FTP is 260, but here I am pushing 400W up a hill." So a PM is useful immediately so you don't do that.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: FTP test 4 days before HIM?? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great stuff, guys! I really appreciate your input. I like what Dado has proposed, kind of "backing into it" method if you will.

BDoughtie you make a good point. It seems silly to do a FTP test the FIRST time I ride this new machine.

I'm really looking forward to riding this bike and training/racing with power.
Quote Reply