Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FSA Crank with Shimano Bottom Bracket
Quote | Reply
Hello Slowtwitch Community,

I have searched Google up, down, left & right - however I just cannot find a straight answer.
So hope one of you either has this setup or knows the answer.

I ride an older 2010 or so Canyon Speedmax AL (10 Speed) with the following:

Shimano Bottom Bracket SM-FC 5600

Currently I have a matching Shimano Crank and all is fine.
However I really want to move to shorter crank length and can only find where I live a used FSA crank in the right length.

Specs:
CK-6020 Double

Is it possible to use this FSA Crank with the Shimano Bottom Bracket?
I can only find comments about the opposite, FSA Bottom Bracket with Shimano Crank.

Any tips and pointers to make this work or tell me that is won't work are deeply appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: FSA Crank with Shimano Bottom Bracket [schag001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, a gossamer crank has a 24mm (ish) spindle for their Mega EXO BB that will fit into a Shimano 24mm BB
FSA tolerances being what they are - it may take a little bit of force.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In theory, this will work fine. In practice, it usually sorta works. Kinda. This combination seems *really* prone to (super) annoying creaks.
Just not worth it to re-use a 10 year old $20 part.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I agree with others that you should change the BB I have used 400 grit diamond sandpaper to make the FSA work in a Shimano BB.

You really should change the BB
Quote Reply
Re: FSA Crank with Shimano Bottom Bracket [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
While I agree with others that you should change the BB I have used 400 grit diamond sandpaper to make the FSA work in a Shimano BB.

Maybe, except that MegaEXO BBs are garbage.

I believe (don't quote me) that the earlier FSA cranks and BBs use a slightly larger (by a few microns) shaft size, that can be a tight/press fit into a Shimano BB. But later ones are the same size. But if that's true I'd have no idea of when/if they changed.

Another peripheral anecdote - I have a Vision Trimax crankset (manufactured by FSA I believe) in a Shimano BB, it fit fine, however with the left crank fully tightened it does want to bind up the BB bearings ,even with all the spacers removed. A clamp-on type crank (eg Shimano) wouldn't do this because you can preload the bearings manually, not crush them with the retention bolt.
Quote Reply
Re: FSA Crank with Shimano Bottom Bracket [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
I believe (don't quote me) that the earlier FSA cranks and BBs use a slightly larger (by a few microns) shaft size, that can be a tight/press fit into a Shimano BB. But later ones are the same size. But if that's true I'd have no idea of when/if they changed.

still have to bash through with 30mm axles on anyone elses BB. I've fitted quite a few of the powerboxes and new generation short Gossamers on Wheels MFG BBs - force still required.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Maybe, except that MegaEXO BBs are garbage.
Agreed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the same problem the a bike from the same era….the fsa spindle is slightly larger in diameter and didn’t fit into the shimano bb. It’s maybe a tenth of a millimeter but anyhow….I didn’t want to use to hammer that fucker in. Gotta change the bb but like others said…the mega exo bb is creaking like a mofo sometimes.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: FSA Crank with Shimano Bottom Bracket [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you buy the cheap Mega-EXO then you get a cheap Mega-Exo. There are some really poor Shimano BB's as well.

Buy the better one for a few more dollars and it works just fine.

Still, most of the time I just polish the bearing landing and use a R7000 or an MT800 without the plastic spacer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nominally, they both have 24 mm axles. However, the tolerances are lined up in opposite directions. Shimano has a 24 mm inner diameter of the bearing, and the spindle is manufactured slightly undersized. The FSA has a “true” 24 mm spindle, and the inner diameter of the bearing is slightly over-bored. So a MegaExo 24mm crank will usually be very tight in a Shimano BB.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:

Another peripheral anecdote - I have a Vision Trimax crankset (manufactured by FSA I believe) in a Shimano BB, it fit fine, however with the left crank fully tightened it does want to bind up the BB bearings ,even with all the spacers removed. A clamp-on type crank (eg Shimano) wouldn't do this because you can preload the bearings manually, not crush them with the retention bolt.

When FSA went away from the pinch bolt design on the left arm, they made the BB cups slightly narrower in order to leave a small gap that was then filled with a wave washer to prevent overloading the bearings. So there are different versions of the MegaExo BBs, depending on which type of crank you have...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply