Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FIRST RACE IN NEWTON'S
Quote | Reply
I ordered a pair of Newton's Distance shoes (the cushioning race version) last Tuesday and got them on Friday (standard shipping). When I first put them on I noticed that there was very little heel, but a big built up area under my forefoot. I went out for about two miles in them and thought they felt strange on level ground, but great running up hill. Saturday I did a local 8 mile time trial on my Cervelo and then did a very casual 4 mile jog in them, and really wasn't sure what to think of them. Today I ran a 10K race and averaged 7:06 minute miles, my fastest 10K race last year was at a 7:16 minute a mile pace with a good pair of Asics racing shoes, both courses were similar in nature and weather. With a N=1, I have run 10 seconds a mile faster with the Newtons then last year's best pace. So far, so good. Do other ST's out there have any race results with these shoes? Tim
Quote Reply
Re: FIRST RACE IN NEWTON'S [cervelorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But you've trained since last year, right? Well done on the improvement, by the way.
Last edited by: donm: May 20, 07 11:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't stand inane posts like yours. I always like the casual relationships people ascribe to equipment when in reality there are so many variables that influenced how you ran today compared to how you ran last year. I also love the pseudo-science language people use to qualify their results. "With an N = 1, my experience is this."

Thanks for that story though. Hey at least you are faster than last year, who knows how much faster you would have been had you used your Asics. Perhaps maybe even 20 seconds per mile faster.
Quote Reply
Re: FIRST RACE IN NEWTON'S [DoubleTrouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree. maybe he should run his next race in ascics and see if he is faster than last year. its hard to judge year to year with a year of training in between.

http://www.triontherunfitness.com
http://www.triontherun.com
http://www.ontheruntx.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I can't stand people like you"

"I can't stand inane posts like yours."

Lighten up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... I also love the pseudo-science language people use to qualify their results. "With an N = 1, my experience is this."

That wasn't my take on his post. He wasn't jumping to conclusions, just sharing anecdotes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cant stand posts from whiny self important jackoffs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1). No where in his post did he say his results were because of the Newtons.
2). He made a point of saying, hey, this is the only data point I have...so that people could see he wasn't drawing conclusions.
3). Learn how to spell "causal".

Spot

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
3). Learn how to spell "causal".
Maybe he was saying that he likes casual relationships? :)

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post. n=1 might be a poor sampling, but it is 100% of your sampling and that is all we know at this post. Like all post, we take yoours for what it is. Keep racing hard and sharing your info!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'll bite. I don't run a lot of 5ks, but I ran one a few weeks ago in my Newtons. My previous best time for a 5k, set last June, was 24:35. (Yes, I'm slow). 2 weeks ago, with Newtons, my 5k time was 23:37. Was the faster time because of the Newtons? Almost certainly not - I ran lots more this winter than I ever have, I weigh slightly less now than I did last June, the day was cooler, etc. However, I love the shoes, and improving my 5k time by almost a minute made me love them even more.
Quote Reply
Re: FIRST RACE IN NEWTON'S [txvet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also bought a pair and Im going to do some time trials in my training plan with the exact same course and same place in training week and go back and forth between Newtons and other pair just to see was transpires. Time will tell!!!

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ok, I'll bite. I don't run a lot of 5ks, but I ran one a few weeks ago in my Newtons. My previous best time for a 5k, set last June, was 24:35. (Yes, I'm slow). 2 weeks ago, with Newtons, my 5k time was 23:37. Was the faster time because of the Newtons? Almost certainly not - I ran lots more this winter than I ever have, I weigh slightly less now than I did last June, the day was cooler, etc. However, I love the shoes, and improving my 5k time by almost a minute made me love them even more.

Sorry to set you up, but you are asking for it too with this logic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kristen: great race! your training is going well. Which IM are you doing? Louisville? are you getting your long rides in? you are welcome to join us for a ride any Sunday.
keep me posted on the Newtons. With my biomechanical problems i have been hesitant to try them. i wouldn't mind running faster though.
Jana

http://www.triontherunfitness.com
http://www.triontherun.com
http://www.ontheruntx.com
Quote Reply
Re: FIRST RACE IN NEWTON'S [jana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they put a lot of strain on my calves and achilles...i already run on the balls of my feet
Quote Reply
Re: FIRST RACE IN NEWTON'S [Willrace4food] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Sorry to set you up, but you are asking for it too with this logic!
You seem to be Bad At Reading. I highlighted the relevant portion for you to practice on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah... is that kinda like your inane posts awhile back critiquing the aero position of professionals that actually make a living swinging their leg over a bike!?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I simply thought about what Newtons might feel like and went 5 seconds faster on my training route yesterday at the same heart rate average. I know, its N = 1, but it worked!

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply