Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FINALLY sub 20
Quote | Reply
After picking running back up just about 3 years ago and having an official time of 34:45 on my first 5K, yesterday I FINALLY broke into the teens!! Posted a 19:21 on a muggy morning in Tampa, pretty stoked! After my GF says, "aren't you happy? you did great!" To which I replied, "yes, very happy, but I was ONLY 22 seconds off from being sub 19!"

Sorry, just had to brag as I've been shooting for this milestone for quite some time now.
Quote Reply
Re: FINALLY sub 20 [steelrain66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work, looking forward to the sub 19 update!
Quote Reply
Re: FINALLY sub 20 [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job. Funny how when you reach one goal, you immediately think...gee, I think i know how I can go faster. I'm still waiting for the race where I feel like I completely paced it perfectly, executed perfectly and left it all out there on the course. I've come close twice this year, but think I still could have paced it better and gone faster. It's easy to forget the dozens of little things that went really really well that could have ruined your race.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great job, keep shooting for that sub 19 :)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steelrain66 wrote:
After picking running back up just about 3 years ago and having an official time of 34:45 on my first 5K, yesterday I FINALLY broke into the teens!! Posted a 19:21 on a muggy morning in Tampa, pretty stoked! After my GF says, "aren't you happy? you did great!" To which I replied, "yes, very happy, but I was ONLY 22 seconds off from being sub 19!"

Sorry, just had to brag as I've been shooting for this milestone for quite some time now.

Awesome!

I started training in December, and one of the first things I did was a 5 km TT: 32:30. I think I sprinted the first 400m and the last couple of km were very unpleasant.

By April I was down to sub 25.

Not sure where I am now, but it's definitely not sub 20 yet. Kudos!
Quote Reply
Re: FINALLY sub 20 [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicely done! I've yet to get back under 20, but it's a goal once I stop doing all these long distance races.

motoguy128 wrote:
Funny how when you reach one goal, you immediately think...gee, I think i know how I can go faster.
So true, what the hell is wrong with us?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent!

savor the joy of your accomplishment (I should take my own advice by the way :-| ). Too many people don't take stock and appreciate what they got - or in this case have earned.

Enjoy the journey to your next goal, because as you've just discovered, the joy of an accomplishment; while wonderful, is fleeting. But, the journey to get there is usually not easy and in fact is why we do this stuff, for if it was easy, everybody would be doing it and we'd find something else that was hard.

and I'm not even a philosophy major. Maybe I should get a job as a philosopher, does that pay well?

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steelrain66 wrote:

F-n-A, that's the right attitude! Sub-19 is around the corner.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the course was short :)

Nice work OP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job

I have pushed a double stroller with grandkids the last few years and have always run a sub 20. Will see if I can do it one more time this year pushing the double stroller again.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: FINALLY sub 20 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Great job

I have pushed a double stroller with grandkids the last few years and have always run a sub 20. Will see if I can do it one more time this year pushing the double stroller again.

See now, why do you have to go and burst his bubble.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best back handed compliment of all time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sound off about your training approach. Some of us want to replicate the awesome.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always been of the opinion kids hold you back from your true potential, thank you for reassuring me of that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: FINALLY sub 20 [Tri_again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_again wrote:
Best back handed compliment of all time.

Nah, forward hand. I am actually more proud of pushing my oldest granddaughter in a single stroller at 57 in April for a Half Marathon in 1:28. :o)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've made some significant running gains since having a son 10 months ago. I figure its because I'm now pushing him in the stroller, so I've modified my stride to be "more horizontally focused." In other words - rather than bobbing up and down like I was before, I'm now 'pushing' more forward as I run to maintain the same cadence with the stroller. Then when I take away the stroller, I'm more used to the forward motion. Plus, the extra weight going up hills can't hurt either...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are an inspiration. I say that in all honesty.
Quote Reply
Re: FINALLY sub 20 [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
I've made some significant running gains since having a son 10 months ago. I figure its because I'm now pushing him in the stroller, so I've modified my stride to be "more horizontally focused." In other words - rather than bobbing up and down like I was before, I'm now 'pushing' more forward as I run to maintain the same cadence with the stroller. Then when I take away the stroller, I'm more used to the forward motion. Plus, the extra weight going up hills can't hurt either...

Interesting. I do not push enough to get those benefits but I agree.

Your son will remember you pushing him for life. My grandkids talk about it all the time and cannot wait until the next race when I do it again. My oldest granddaughter is even talking
about doing a triathlon with me now and she is only 4. So amazing what they pick up when you do things with them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steelrain66 wrote:

Well done. It's a big deal to go sub-20!! Congratulations!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, that is a HUGE improvement.
Forget sub-19 that is basically in the bag anyway. You should shoot for 17:22, and cut the original time in half :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I ever break 20 minutes again I'm going to put a "3.1" sticker on my car.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: FINALLY sub 20 [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I ever do it again I'm gonna put a "3.1 is OK I guess but I got beat by a 57y/o pushing a double stroller" sticker on my car...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next