Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FELT hear me out. You new aero drop bar.
Quote | Reply
I have found a Devox aero base bar for a project bike I am thinking of doing and while cruising the FELT website, I got to thinking why could they not do an aero drop bar in 26.0 and use shims to get a 31.8 version as well.

If you combine the two bars below you have the potential for a great bar. Of course you have to make sure it is 3:1 for UCI, make the stem mounting area a bit more narrow as it is prerry long right now, offer it with a computer mount that fills in the holes when not used for extensions (simple U shapped insert), offer a shortie aerobar extension for use without pad (like the 3T Zefiro but nicer looking), you can add armrest if required and you can offer a low s-bend like Oval offers to be used when using the armrests.

You would then have a very aero drop bar with the options for mounting computers, shortie aerobars, normal extensions with armrest and it would still be pretty light. I would buy one for sure. Internal run cabling as well and of course Di2.

This is what I want for my aero road bike.

They already have this

and you could use the bends from this bar

Quote Reply
Re: FELT hear me out. You new aero drop bar. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting...what are you building?

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply
Re: FELT hear me out. You new aero drop bar. [Livetotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if I had made skills I would be building the bar I just described.

I have my old Giant TCR Zero frame laying around so time to get creative with some old parts but this was the final thing I needed for my creation.
Quote Reply
Re: FELT hear me out. You new aero drop bar. [Livetotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will need to paint them because they are white and nothing going on my bikes that is not black.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt specs with Vuka Sprints as well.

KW
Quote Reply
Re: FELT hear me out. You new aero drop bar. [KEAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure they do but I think there is a market for something different and better from what I have seen out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oval has a VERY nice model. R910 Aergo I believe. Everything you are asking for, and the mold is already done, so no extra expense for Felt.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: FELT hear me out. You new aero drop bar. [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope they do not have anything even close to what I am asking for. I get where you are coming from but you have to use their stem to get what I am asking for but I want it in the bar only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might just have to single-handedly keep Berk busy with aero meets light projects.

Now that I see what you're saying, it is kind of a nifty idea. I see one problem being that most people who run clip ons on their road bike take them off sometimes. Obviously these would be removable but the bar would look pretty abnormal whenever you weren't running the shorties.
Quote Reply
Re: FELT hear me out. You new aero drop bar. [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See I think you never run them without something in the slots. You have the computer mount, shortie aerobars with mount and aero bridge like the Vision mini set up or full extensions with armrest. You can run armrests on the minis as well but it might not be needed.

I like the idea because you can pick and choose the stem you want and angle of the stem and you end up not married to a stem mounted areobar system.
Last edited by: BMANX: Apr 23, 12 8:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've mocked this up in Aluminum before when the Bayonet aerobars were first launched. It looked similar to the original Scatto sprint bars 3T made but with the extension mounts integrated. It is a tidy way to improve on the 3T version. Indeed it would be very slick for the 1%ers like yourself who want this.

Perhaps the shift away from UCI legal-strained designs might make it feasible in the future. It would make a great product for Grand Fondo events.

The biggest issue to overcome in carbon would be the $10,000s in development/mold costs, the 400g+ weight, the tiny market appeal, and the consumer notion that "house brand" items like DEVOX, Bontrager, S-works, etc... are somehow inferior to brands that focus exclusively on cockpits.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: FELT hear me out. You new aero drop bar. [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think people perceive S-Works and even Bontrager to be inferior these days. As bikes become more integrated, the benefit to P&A programs is that in-house designs gain in market acceptance.

In the case of Devox, I think it is more of a market awareness issue. S-Works had the benefit of the whole S-Works umbrella and the great bike designs used for that line. Bontrager has the added market value of their Pro teams (USPS was great for this and now Lieto and Dibens for tri) and to a lesser degree, the heritage of Keith himself (although I concede that probably plays more with the trade and not the consumer anymore).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure I agree with your comment about the 1%ers like myself wanting this because I think as bike design moves forward and more aero frames come to the market, there will be a call for more aero drop bars and more integration would be nice. I also think if you market it in the right way, it would sell more than you think.

If 3T is selling the Zefiro and making a fairly good go at it (if they are) then you could make something more versitile, lighter and more aero. There are more and more Grand Fondo events popping up and more and more people doing them. It is also a great bar to have for a lot of athletes only using one bike and that bike being their road bike.

I know a lot of people that have asked what aero drop bars are out there. Zipp Vuka Sprint is a great looking aero drop bar but you can't add aerobars to it. The Oval Aergo is a nice bar as well but again you are married to their stem mount system.

I think the more we move towards aero road frames, more people are going to want aero drops bars and other aero parts to fit. Think about your aero road frame matched up with a kick ass aero drop bar.

As for house brands components, if they are well thought out and function better than other brands, the I would look at them for sure.

I just picked up a Devox aero basebar for a project build where I want to have two brakes and shifters but do not want to run drops bars and do not want aero extensions. So I did go with your house brand over anything else out there.
Last edited by: BMANX: Apr 23, 12 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure I agree with your comment about the 1%ers like myself wanting this because I think as bike design moves forward and more aero frames come to the market, there will be a call for more aero drop bars and more integration would be nice. I also think if you market it in the right way, it would sell more than you think.

If 3T is selling the Zefiro and making a fairly good go at it (if they are) then you could make something more versitile, lighter and more aero. There are more and more Grand Fondo events popping up and more and more people doing them. It is also a great bar to have for a lot of athletes only using one bike and that bike being their road bike.

I know a lot of people that have asked what aero drop bars are out there. Zipp Vuka Sprint is a great looking aero drop bar but you can't add aerobars to it. The Oval Aergo is a nice bar as well but again you are married to their stem mount system.

I think the more we move towards aero road frames, more people are going to want aero drops bars and other aero parts to fit. Think about your aero road frame matched up with a kick ass aero drop bar.

As for house brands components, if they are well thought out and function better than other brands, the I would look at them for sure.

I just picked up a Devox aero basebar for a project build where I want to have two brakes and shifters but do not want to run drops bars and do not want aero extensions. So I did go with your house brand over anything else out there.

If you are still interested:
http://www.haero-carbon.de/...dukt_h380-detail.png
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you but already in talks with them on getting a pair.
Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 20, 14 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:

This doesn't resolve your request from the initial post but ENVE does offer an aero drop bar with compatible extensions.
http://enve.com/...nsions-extaerordbar/

------------------------------------------------------
Former Zipp test engineer | Current ENVE contract engineer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty cool looking bar. Also pretty cool that you remembered a thread from over two years ago and thought to follow up with the op.
Quote Reply
Re: FELT hear me out. You new aero drop bar. [MichaelT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MichaelT wrote:
That's a pretty cool looking bar. Also pretty cool that you remembered a thread from over two years ago and thought to follow up with the op.

I have a crack team of online forum researchers.
-SD
Quote Reply