Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FE26 Trek? Disc brakes, retractable handlebars, and completely new bike?
Quote | Reply
hmmmmm.....

https://www.behance.net/...0323675/FE26-by-Trek
Last edited by: ggeiger: Feb 24, 15 13:24
Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay. Want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe why they had a diminished presence in Kona? New bike coming out and didn't want to tip their hand?
Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? Disc brakes, retractable handlebars, and completely new bike? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even as a concept its pretty impressive and forward thinking. Usually concept sketches are more about looks than function but this is really cool from a function point of view.
Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? Disc brakes, retractable handlebars, and completely new bike? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

There's going to be a bit of "engineering" required to make that disc brake "work" with so few spokes...just sayin' ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Feb 24, 15 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Very cool. Love the folding aerobars except for in a quick accident type of situation.

Saw this done on a bike locally over 10 years ago. Bike checker at a half IM was mightily flustered about whether it was safe.
There was a lot more material in the pivot area than on this concept - it appeared to be pretty solid. Basebar folded up when you pushed down on the elbow pad and he had STI to accomplish the dual purpose bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Very cool. Love the folding aerobars except for in a quick accident type of situation.

What is supposed to support your upper body during the position change?

A pneumatically-actuated telescopic base bar could be a better solution if you want to hide it

http://cds-0.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be like the HED areo brake except more powerful with the disc brakes. Couldn't that make it safer since you would never loose your grasp on the handlebars. I guess I am thinking that once you tested it out a bit it might seem like a no brainer to have the brakes so handy and with stopping power. I could see cornering being way easier to stay aero this way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an amazing looking bike.The biggest draw back really are the parts. if anyone can make it happen, it will be one of the big players of Specialized, Trek or Giant. Otherwise, the cost and R&D to make custom shifters, gearing and hydro brakes such a these imply is a huge financial and time burden. I started working on TT disc brake levers with Wayne Moore Formerly at Ashima. When he left to start his own new company Legion, they were put on hold as not profitable to keep working on them. So unless someone is coming in with a huge order and demand, this technology is years from realization. I hope Shimano will bring it to the forefront or else, it may not become big enough to reach multiple brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Carl,

How much for an FE26? I don't care about it being expensive, I just need to know what to pen into the "amount" section of the check. Please.

GreenPlease
Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The armrests don't pivot with the bars. That would bake for some tricky steering and even keeping it straight after even a short duration, much less a half or full IM. Your elbows do a lot to keep the bike straight under a traditional cockpit design. I can think of a lot of problems not having the armrests attached to the steering mechanism. Maybe they will be in more detailed iterations?

Edit: I guess they would be attached to the top of the steerer tube somehow and pivot flush with the frame. Cool.

Last edited by: Jayhox: Feb 24, 15 19:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool. Hub gearing too. Wonder if that is something they are working on inhouse and what sort of range of ratios that sort of gearing can have?
Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? Disc brakes, retractable handlebars, and completely new bike? [NoBrakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't think the concept has anything to do with Trek officially.

It just happens the designer lives in Madison, WI and Trek is probably a pretty known brand there (and he might be looking for a gig).

Look at his portfolio, plenty of other projects with known name brands in there.
Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? Disc brakes, retractable handlebars, and completely new bike? [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it's listed that he works for Trek.
Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? Disc brakes, retractable handlebars, and completely new bike? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Actually it's listed that he works for Trek.

And Trek as a company has replied on some FBI threads.
Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? Disc brakes, retractable handlebars, and completely new bike? [NoBrakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NoBrakes wrote:
Very cool. Hub gearing too. Wonder if that is something they are working on inhouse and what sort of range of ratios that sort of gearing can have?

It's a concept bike, not a prototype, concepts don't mean that production is coming anytime soon if ever. While certain aspects might find their way into production in the near future, other aspects are pretty far off into the future or not practical. There's nothing stopping anyone from putting a tt/tri bike with hub gearing into production right now, but hub gearing is considerably less efficient than chain drives, and the wind drag of existing drivetrains isn't enough to compensate. Unless Trek has some quantum leap in hub gearing technology (which is unlikely) don't expect to see hub gearing used any time soon, at least if the goal is to go faster and not just look cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seats too high.

No one?

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? Disc brakes, retractable handlebars, and completely new bike? [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh...my mistake...just saw on his LinkedIn profile he's been with Trek since July 2012. On the BeHance.net profile it just said July 2012.

Cool, kinda like a Google X-type project for Trek...
Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? Disc brakes, retractable handlebars, and completely new bike? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Dear Carl,

How much for an FE26? I don't care about it being expensive, I just need to know what to pen into the "amount" section of the check. Please.

GreenPlease

Just sent Trek a signed blank check.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Note that the FE26 design/concept was posted circa Sept 2013. Jonathan Russell has similar designs/concepts for yachts, cars & motorbikes, so don't get your hopes up that this will actually go into production.
Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? Disc brakes, retractable handlebars, and completely new bike? [Milessio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Understood. That said, Trek is actually commenting on it. Perhaps setting the stage, as they had absolutely no presence in Kona, which seemed quite odd for a company that has focused on tri as of late.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yea was pretty bummed out to see lack of SC out there at Kona. Was hoping for a good race from Tim O'Donnell.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: FE26 Trek? Disc brakes, retractable handlebars, and completely new bike? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both the lack of presence as well as the poor performance was odd. In the past, they've had a large booth....wonder what the new focus is? Tri on the back burner?
Quote Reply