Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Extreme exercise and the heart ... article.
Quote | Reply
http://www.guardian.co.uk/...,3605,974072,00.html

Interesting read.

Apparently exercise can add life to your years, but may not add years to your life. Maybe the opposite in many cases.

Our state time trial champion in the 60-65 age group dropped dead on a group ride last weekend.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme exercise and the heart ... article. [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What articles like these fail (most of the time) to point out that in many cases if the person hadn't worked out regularly they likely would have been dead years earlier. So they were still able to prolong their life. One cannot do too much with the genetics you are born with.
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme exercise and the heart ... article. [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<to point out that in many cases if the person hadn't worked out regularly they likely would have been dead years earlier>>

What is your evidence?
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme exercise and the heart ... article. [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What articles like these fail (most of the time) to point out that in many cases if the person hadn't worked out regularly they likely would have been dead years earlier. So they were still able to prolong their life. One cannot do too much with the genetics you are born with."

Good point and I'm glad you made it.

It all kinda reminds me of laying in the ER after I got slammed by a car on my bike 3 years ago. The doc says, "if you weren't in such great shape from all your cycling, you'd probably be dead." My labored reply, "yes doc, the bicycle is definately reponsible for the condition I'm in."

My antennae are more extended when I ride my bike now, as a direct result of that accident. I think that's the good about articles like these. It never hurts to be aware of things. Of course, this article could make one say, "what the heck ... might as well skip the workout and go get a pizza with extra cheese."

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have fallen into the trap of, "oh I work out so I can eat some crap". Crap food is crap food and will clog your arteries no matter what kind of shape you are in. Or at least that is how I try and think of it in order to stay away from the stuff.
Glad to see you overcame the accident. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My orthopod, after looking at a picture of my "exploded" ACL (he runs marathons) had this to say to me:

"Well, I should tell you that you should not run so much. But if by running less or stopping you end up doing spending more time on the couch I guess that would be worse. So keep running."
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme exercise and the heart ... article. [Ben Zona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you are aware of the ev=ffects of exercise on skeletal muscle...increased mitochondria, increased arterial flow to the muscles and cells.

Same thing happens in the heart, increased blood flow and increased number of small vessels.

Hence the heart is able to withstand a "heart attack" better than if the person were a couch potato.

clot blocks one vessel...couch potato dies clot blocks one vessel in heart with 10 times greater blood flow..death is less likely
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 after fiennes had his bypass (around 6 months) i think he ran 1 marathon in more than 5 countries i think....1 even in egypt and in the himalayas i think..read the article in one of the issues of runners world..

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not surprised one bit. I agree that exercise can add life to your years but not necessarily years to your life.

It's a combination of nutrition, exercise, lifestyle, mental well being, genetic mapping and most importantly just plain luck. I'm convinced my two daily glasses of red wine will do probably more good for my heart than any other one thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny that the article uses Don Whillans as an example. The 52 year old mountaineer was 50-60 lbs overweight (and he was only 5'3")in the last few years of his life. I don't know if he ate much but he sure drank a lot of beer.

The question that is unasked of course is whether Feinnes' family had a history of heart disease.
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme exercise and the heart ... article. [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The question that is unasked of course is whether Feinnes' family had a history of heart disease. "

Good point. Remember Jim Fixx?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check with the doc before starting any serious workout program...
Quote Reply