Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Explain these please
Quote | Reply
I have been reading up a little regarding periodization(mainly from Joe Friel's Triathlete's Bible) but still can't grasp the actual definition of each of these phases in the annual calender. Could you guys give an explanation of each and what aspects are emphasized? I think I understand the first two but tell me if I'm wrong;

Preparation: Getting oneself ready for training, basically just by doing the sports themselves. Frequency is focused on and intensity isn't an issue. Duration is important but frequency is trumped. Example of workouts for the Prep weeks would be - 2hr ride, 30 min run, 30 min swim(each twice a week)

Base : Increasing endurance and training load. Frequency is the same(6 times a week) or slightly increased, with duration increased(total volume goes up). Intensity is still not an issue but can be introduced slightly. Example of workouts for Base weeks would be - 3 hr ride, 1 hour swim, 1 hour run.

The different Base weeks(1-whatever) is used to increase total volume slowly with a few bricks thrown in.

Build : Volume may be manipulated as increasing intensity is introduced. No idea what kind of workouts these should be like.

I have no clue regarding the other phases except for volume is dropped as more and more intensity is introduced as A races nears. This is followed by a taper before the A race.

Thanks guys.

Izzy G.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain these please [IzzyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone?
Quote Reply