Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Experienced velodrome aero position rider in Colorado Springs.
Quote | Reply
Hello All:
Some of you may know of my papers on estimating aerodynamic drag from power meter data. The Garmin Track Aero System used that approach to test many riders at velodromes around the world but Garmin has discontinued support of the system.
To fill the void left by Garmin, Bill McDermott and I have been working on an alternative we call Aerodrome and have dialed in all the hardware and software. Before we go commercial we need to evaluate the sensitivity of our measures. To do that we need a rider who can ride in a consistent aero position on the track at Colorado Springs. We will be there January 16-20. The rider(s) will get detailed aerodynamic drag data and we will get to evaluate sensitivity. Win win.
Please let me know if you fit that description or know someone who does.
Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by: Bio_McGeek: Nov 21, 23 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Experienced velodrome aero position rider in Colorado Springs. [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would certainly be interested and I have done testing at the Springs before on my TT bike (I don’t have a long background in track cycling). Rockdude would also be a good choice and has a more extensive track background.
Quote Reply
Re: Experienced velodrome aero position rider in Colorado Springs. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike. Velodrome experience is really important for sensitivity testing. Really looking for someone who has done quite a bit of pursuit riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Experienced velodrome aero position rider in Colorado Springs. [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm up in Highlands Ranch. I've done extensive TT riding but it's been a couple years since I've been on the track. Happy to swing down there if you end up needing more subjects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jim,

I have done year of velodrome riding as a junior and would be interested in helping out with your test. I currently live up in Littleton.
Last edited by: C_lo99: Nov 21, 23 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just sent this thread link to a friend who lives in the area and has done a lot of pursuiting.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Experienced velodrome aero position rider in Colorado Springs. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jim

Longtime Slowtwitcher and Track Rider here. Cathy sent me the link to this post.

I've been riding down in COS for a long time, decades. Many Track Nationals, and Masters Worlds under my belt. I have had 4 hour record attempts. My success ration is 1/4. Ive been to Aguas 3 times with the most recent trip being the season before last in Aguas, when I ran the trip for 13 athletes. And while it has not been announce yet, I'm starting prep for another attempt in 2024.

While I don't live in the Springs, I'm up in the denver area, and can devote as much time as you need since I'm retired !

In addition, I have several hours of wind tunnel experience from 3 years ago when I went to A2 and worked with Brian.

I also have all frames(s), wheels(2), helmets(s), skin suits(s), etc(s) that you would ever want to put a matrix together. Ive got two SRM's - one on the pursuit frame and one on the mass start frame.

I would love to help be a aero-guinea pig for you !

Dave Beitel
Last edited by: Dbeitel: Nov 21, 23 14:31
Quote Reply
Re: Experienced velodrome aero position rider in Colorado Springs. [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow Dave, you sound like the right guy for the task!
I'll PM you as we learn more about timing etc.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim,

I'll look forward to it and would really enjoy working with you

Dave Beitel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experiences with a proprietary “live” velodrome aero testing system like the Alphamantis / Garmin TAS system and having used this TrackTest++ system extensively over the last decade, experienced track riders are not necessarily the test subjects producing the most consistent results. Also, I think a 333m track should be “easy” J.

The least variation of CdA from half round to half round of down to +/- 0.0005 m² at a 200m track is produced by people having a rock-solid position i.e., don’t move on the bike, but still be able to stay relaxed and do not alter speed. As soon as people over pace the CdA variance increases. Sometimes even a triathlete was a “good” test person. But I also had top professional triathletes unable to hold the black line and varying speed almost like crazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, if you were just a little closer.
I ride a 166 meter track 2-3 days a week (Detroit)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am up for it. I am a hour record holder, 1k record holder have three national titles on the pursuit or TT bike. Most importantly, I have conducted aero testing on myself and others in that velodrome and other velodromes around the world, so I know and understand the process. I could bring my weather station and equipment and we could compare your results to my results as a check on the data sets. Let me know, if interested.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck!

Do a delta mass test. That should let you assess sensitivity to changes in drag, which will help you figure out variability in aero drag vs. variability in total drag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm willing to help.

Looked through my old alphamantis testing data. Varied +/-2m farthest to shortest lap.

Willing to help. have tons of wind tunnel and alphamantis data on myself for you to look through if you want. Although the alphamantis data is more stochastic

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply