Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Excessive chain friction
Quote | Reply
I have 9-speed dura-ace on my Litespeed which I bought used. Everything works great except for the fact that in the smallest 3 cogs there is excessive noise and friction. It's nothing terrible, but I can tell there is too much friction, like I can feel EVERY link in the chain running out of the cog. I've checked a bunch of times and nothing is rubbing. When I spin the pedals backwards, the chain doesn't flow over the cassette smoothly. The rear der. appears to be adjusted properly. Can anyone suggest some possible problems? Thanks...
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive chain friction [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likely a dirty chain. I'd remove it and soak it in cleaner, kerosene is my choice, scrub clean, dry and relube. Wipe all excess lube from chain and reinstall.
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive chain friction [cyclng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently cleaned the hell out of it (didn't take it off the bike, but scrubbed it with a sponge with degreaser, rinsed, dried, and re-lubed). Perhaps it needs the full-on kerosene job, but I don't think so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the chain is off you can bend each link too see if it is tight. If the chain is servicable do the clean/lube thing if not replace. Check to see if the cassette is not tight on the freehub. It can also cause trouble. I still would believe the chain is dirty and has some stiff links. Take the wheel off and move the links back and forth to see if they are tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
replace your chain. A worn chain will wear other parts, so changing your chain is always a good investment.

But it sounds too me that your rear derailleur needs adjustment. If you replace the chain and you still have the same problem, you can eliminate the chain as the possible cause to your problem. Good luck!

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply