Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I wonder what mike mcbroom could do that 5000 in. He did a 17:49 2000y late last year..

Ya, I've watched the youtube video of that swim, pretty amazing at 8:54.5 per 1000 or 53.45 per 100scy for 20 100s in a row. I kind of wish that FINA would institute a 3000 m pool swim for national/international meets. You'd have to make the qualifying times very strict though, so that you only maybe had 2 or 3 heats of 30-32-ish minutes. I just think it would be cool to see what the real distance swimmers could do in pool conditions, i.e. no drafting:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [rcs430] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcs430 wrote:
Vendt is about 2.5 years older than I am - so I figure it was probably '97/'98 time frame and since the pool was setup SCY it was likely in the fall, probably Oct/Nov. I don't know if he actually fell asleep in the gutter - did spend some time there though.

The team we were on at the time was called Ocean State Squids (OSS) - we had a reputation for difficult training. I think Josh picked up a lot of his training methodology from his previous experiences as a swimmer at the Peddie School in NJ - I believe the coach's name was Chris Martin. So when I say I can't remember all the details, a lot of it has to do with the fact that the rest of us were getting are butts kicked too. Do I know he did the set, yes, I remember that. Can I say with absolutely certainly all the details, nope, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were accurate.

So fall of 1997 or '98, thanks. I'm not at all one of the "doubters" as I've heard and read about it so many times. As a female friend of mine who swam for the U. of Tenn in that same late 90s era used to say, "I don't care what anyone says, NO ONE trains any harder than swimmers". And, I think that includes tri people although some would call it even between the two:)

Quote Reply
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently I'm not allowed to PM. Anyway, last time I saw Josh was probably Dec '10, my wife and I had breakfast with him at place right by his apartment. He was living in Massachusetts at the time. I recently returned from deployment and happened to be visiting home, Rhode Island, and ran into a friend of mine from High School who also swam with him. I want to say Carla was working that day and couldn't make it. I'm pretty sure he moved to Australia a few months later. If he's coaching your kids like he coached us, I have no doubt you're getting your money's worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, he's coaching here in Sydney, Aust and he coaches both my kids (son 21 and daughter 18).

You're right, he's the real deal. They've been on a number of state and national camps with Aust swim team coaches, and both say he's the best coach they've had. He's now one of ours - you can't have him back!

He and Carla have two beautiful kids now and he lives near our most famous beach. I've been trying to get him used to our humour but it's a work in progress :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, glad to hear it - I imagine Australia is a change of pace from New England. I do some open water swimming now; when I was getting back into swimming after a 7 year hiatus, I still remembered all the things he used to say. Ask him if he remembers playing paintball back when he was still coaching the Squids - one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's an old ST interview with Vendt from back in 2008, before his last oly trials:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Slowtwitch_279.html

Quote Reply
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
rcs430 wrote:
Vendt is about 2.5 years older than I am - so I figure it was probably '97/'98 time frame and since the pool was setup SCY it was likely in the fall, probably Oct/Nov. I don't know if he actually fell asleep in the gutter - did spend some time there though.

The team we were on at the time was called Ocean State Squids (OSS) - we had a reputation for difficult training. I think Josh picked up a lot of his training methodology from his previous experiences as a swimmer at the Peddie School in NJ - I believe the coach's name was Chris Martin. So when I say I can't remember all the details, a lot of it has to do with the fact that the rest of us were getting are butts kicked too. Do I know he did the set, yes, I remember that. Can I say with absolutely certainly all the details, nope, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were accurate.

So fall of 1997 or '98, thanks. I'm not at all one of the "doubters" as I've heard and read about it so many times. As a female friend of mine who swam for the U. of Tenn in that same late 90s era used to say, "I don't care what anyone says, NO ONE trains any harder than swimmers". And, I think that includes tri people although some would call it even between the two:)

http://deadspin.com/...-michael-phelps-does
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how does everyone think he'd go in an IM in his prime or even today?

When he was doing this monster set, could he drop the best pros in the swim?

big engine and great capacity to hurt himself.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a post about who you would like to see race an IM, I think I mentioned Vendt. There is no question he would be an elite pro within a short amount of time.

Drop the elite guys? Of course. To give you an idea: at a ow race a year and a half ago Vendt beat Sara McClary by 1:30 in a one mile swim. McClarty is typically within 30 seconds - sometimes closer - of the best male splits in Olympic distance races. If the race stretched to 2.4 miles the gap would be pretty big. My guess is that he would beat Potts by 3:30 on a 2.4 mile swim right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
There was a post about who you would like to see race an IM, I think I mentioned Vendt. There is no question he would be an elite pro within a short amount of time.

Drop the elite guys? Of course. To give you an idea: at a ow race a year and a half ago Vendt beat Sara McClary by 1:30 in a one mile swim. McClarty is typically within 30 seconds - sometimes closer - of the best male splits in Olympic distance races. If the race stretched to 2.4 miles the gap would be pretty big. My guess is that he would beat Potts by 3:30 on a 2.4 mile swim right now.

Only because Potts doesn't have much experience swimming on feet ;) At IM Hawaii 2009 Flanagan/Potts went 47:42/47:45 swimming next to each other...neither wanted to drop back to take feet. Hell, they could have gone much faster taking turns pulling...
Quote Reply
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sidenote: hardest set I've ever seen completed:
30X200 fly SCY on 2:30. By Ray Carey in the early ninties. This obviously doesn't compare to Vendt's set, but to me it's still impressive. I was training with my high school team in the Harvard pool while the Bernal's Gators elites were training in another set of lanes. Everyone else did the set freestyle, Carey did it fly without making it seem like anything special. I think he was about 18 or 19 at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
30X200 fly SCY on 2:30. By Ray Carey in the early ninties. This obviously doesn't compare to Vendt's set, but to me it's still impressive. I was training with my high school team in the Harvard pool while the Bernal's Gators elites were training in another set of lanes. Everyone else did the set freestyle, Carey did it fly without making it seem like anything special. I think he was about 18 or 19 at the time.

And Carey was mainly known as a backstroker:) Also, did you not mean in the early 80s, rather than 90s???

Quote Reply
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
rcs430 wrote:

http://deadspin.com/...-michael-phelps-does

Thanks Chap, I didn't see that one when it came out. That story is pretty telling coming from an NFL player:)

Quote Reply
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The toughest workout I ever heard of was 20 x 1,000 IM long course, not breaking stroke once. Not sure of the times, but it is impressive regardless.

Jerry Frentsos was a 1988 Olympic alternate in the 400 IM. 1987 his best time for the 400 IM was 4:26; He calculated that he needed to drop 6 seconds to qualify for the Olympics. He dropped 6 seconds and swam a 4:20 at trials. But when he touched the wall and looked up, he discovered that he was 3rd. He missed going to the Olympics by .18 seconds and became an alternate.

It took him 3 tries to finally complete that 20 x 1,000s IM workout and dropping 6 seconds in 1 year at that level is pretty much unheard of.

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
hiro11 wrote:

And Carey was mainly known as a backstroker:) Also, did you not mean in the early 80s, rather than 90s???

Rick Carey was a world record holding backstrokeR in the early to mid 80's. Ray Carey was a flyer and I think swam the 200 fly at the 96' Olympics.
Last edited by: chriskal: Feb 10, 15 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
hiro11 wrote:

Rick Carey was a world record holding backstroker in the early to mid 80's. Ray Carey was a flyer and I think swam the 200 fly at the 96' Olympics.

Ah, thanks for the correction, got my R. Carey's mixed up:) I pulled out my Sept '96 Oly Games issue of Swimming World and sure enough there he was, going 2:01.10 for the 200 fly in the prelims. That time was no doubt very disappointing to him, since he went faster at the Trials. Looking at the USA Swimming web site, he went 1:57.66 at Trials and finished 2nd behind Tom Malchow (1:57.39), edging out Mel Stewart (1:57.89), the AR holder (1:55.69) at the time. I remember that time frame well b/c Melvin was swimming at one of the pools I sometimes swam at, and everyone thought it was very cool that he was training for the Oly Trials at our pool:)

Any idea if Rick and Ray are related, brothers maybe???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
if you look at the link you posted, it lists Erik's 30 x 1000 quite a bit differently than described here.

10 @ 10:45 10@ 10:30, 10@ 10:15

I still think there's more to the Larsen Jensen one. He could have done 18 min 1500s in his sleep...

On top of that, I've witnessed the u of Iowa boys crank out a set of 100x100 on 1:00. There were a number of them who made it, and none were nearly as good as vendt.

And, in that same link you posted, there's phelps 5000 in 46:34. Which works out to 5 9:20 's in a row, with room to spare.

Yeah, the description here is supposedly the "truth" though, and it's SUBSTANTIALLY harder than what's written there. The one linked never has one faster than 10:15. But according the OP, there were some on 9:30. That's a massive difference:
"I think 10:00 intervals became the story because it averaged out to faster than 10:00 per 1000." But the link has it at 10:30 average, with NONE faster than 10:00. Yet another reason to be skeptical.

I think it is almost certainly believable that he did 30x1000. I just easily see the "make" time being conflated with the send off time. "He did one *IN* 9:30" becomes "He did one *ON* 9:30." Just another classic game of telephone. In, on... What's the difference?

I also realize that SCY is ALWAYS faster than LCM. The point I was trying to make is that for a 30k workout, the difference is not substantial enough to undermine the validity of Monty's extrapolation to compare it to Jensen's set.

I think Phelp's 5000 shows just how implausible this is:
"We started at 1 on 11:00, 1 on 10:00, 1 on 9:50, 1 on 9:40, 1 on 9:30
Then 1 on 10:15 and 3 on 9:45, 1 on 9:30
Then 5 on 10:00 and so on "

Yes, Phelps did 5x9:20s in a row. But he did *FIVE* of them. He didn't 30 of them. I mean, do we really think that Phelps could have just hammered out another 5 or even 10 just because he was getting a minute of rest (or less) between?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [dre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dre wrote:
The toughest workout I ever heard of was 20 x 1,000 IM long course, not breaking stroke once. Not sure of the times, but it is impressive regardless.
Jerry Frentsos was a 1988 Olympic alternate in the 400 IM. 1987 his best time for the 400 IM was 4:26; He calculated that he needed to drop 6 seconds to qualify for the Olympics. He dropped 6 seconds and swam a 4:20 at trials. But when he touched the wall and looked up, he discovered that he was 3rd. He missed going to the Olympics by .18 seconds and became an alternate.
It took him 3 tries to finally complete that 20 x 1,000s IM workout and dropping 6 seconds in 1 year at that level is pretty much unheard of.

Swimming, the cruelest, most honest sport. No special favors and no excuses, either you make the cut or you do not.

Quote Reply
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I get all that. I'm just not willing to say that the OP's version is definitely bullshit, because I've seen guys do some amazingly insane things over the years.

The reason that I mentioned the Phelps one is that Phelps did the 5 9:20's in a row (no rest), but in the 30x1000 as described in post #1, Vendt would have only done 1. the rest of the workout would have been at a slower pace than that.

Truth is, we'll probably never know 100% what really happened that day. But it is just plausible enough that it might have happened. and that might be good enough to inspire some other kid to try and beat it. Which would be cool.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Erik Vendt 30 x 1000 - The True story [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattbk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Only because Potts doesn't have much experience swimming on feet ;) At IM Hawaii 2009 Flanagan/Potts went 47:42/47:45 swimming next to each other...neither wanted to drop back to take feet. Hell, they could have gone much faster taking turns pulling...

The main difference between Vendt and Flanangan/Potts is that Vendt is a swimmer (he is still a swimmer FYI I hear he might take a stab at the 10K ). When Flanagan was a "swimmer" in 2008 he beat Potts by quite a bit at Kona (48:40 / 47:02). When he turned pro triathlete the next year he couldn't out swim him. It is difficult to compare years and who knows what Potts would have done in '07 had Flanagan been there.

But what I really was trying to say is that a lot of biking and running slows you down in the water!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
if you look at the link you posted, it lists Erik's 30 x 1000 quite a bit differently than described here.

I still think there's more to the Larsen Jensen one. He could have done 18 min 1500s in his sleep...

On top of that, I've witnessed the u of Iowa boys crank out a set of 100x100 on 1:00. There were a number of them who made it, and none were nearly as good as vendt.

And, in that same link you posted, there's phelps 5000 in 46:34. Which works out to 5 9:20 's in a row, with room to spare.

Yeah, the description here is supposedly the "truth" though, and it's SUBSTANTIALLY harder than what's written there. The one linked never has one faster than 10:15. But according the OP, there were some on 9:30. That's a massive difference:
"I think 10:00 intervals became the story because it averaged out to faster than 10:00 per 1000." But the link has it at 10:30 average, with NONE faster than 10:00. Yet another reason to be skeptical.

I think it is almost certainly believable that he did 30x1000. I just easily see the "make" time being conflated with the send off time. "He did one *IN* 9:30" becomes "He did one *ON* 9:30." Just another classic game of telephone. In, on... What's the difference?

I also realize that SCY is ALWAYS faster than LCM. The point I was trying to make is that for a 30k workout, the difference is not substantial enough to undermine the validity of Monty's extrapolation to compare it to Jensen's set.

I think Phelps's 5000 shows just how implausible this is:

Yes, Phelps did 5x9:20s in a row. But he did *FIVE* of them. He didn't 30 of them. I mean, do we really think that Phelps could have just hammered out another 5 or even 10 just because he was getting a minute of rest (or less) between?

Perhaps gunsbuns can answer this but was Vendt's coach reading these send-off times from a logbook??? Otherwise, I would find it hard to believe that he could remember all these various send-off times precisely, just off the top of his head, for a workout done 17 or 18 yrs ago. Also, the end part of "then 5 on 10:00 and so on..." is pretty vague since he lists the first 15 send-off times but not the last 15:)

But, regardless of what the exact send-off times were, it was still an extremely epic set:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I think Phelp's 5000 shows just how implausible this is:

Well, it's the 'Truth' according to the person who set the set and stood on pool deck with the stopwatch in his hand. You and other doubters can ponder all you want and there have been various versions by people who weren't even there (I certainly wasn't) but if ANYONE would know 'the truth' it ain't you, or me, or joeblow. It's his coach at the time. Probably not even the guy who did it would recall the go times or the finish times.

You also have to understand swimming a bit. Phelps is arguably the greatest swimmer of all time BUT he wasn't within cooee of ever being an elite distance freestyle swimmer. Anyway, had he tried to do the same, maybe he could have. The fact is he didn't (as far as we know). Vendt did - lots of witnesses - and the guy who set the set and took the times says it happened as posted. His exact words! I only took out the ''Hi Mitch'. You and others here might do a bit of triathlon and dabble in swimming but the guy telling the tale has coached a guy to Olympic silver behind..... Phelps!
Last edited by: gunsbuns: Feb 10, 15 12:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Yeah, I get all that. I'm just not willing to say that the OP's version is definitely bullshit, because I've seen guys do some amazingly insane things over the years.

I think it is bullshit. Well more likely just an innocent case of getting faster as the story gets older. Keep in mind, Jason, that this set is alleged to have occurred when Erik was a teenager. He was "only" a 4:24 in HS when he was swimming for Stern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His words taken from an email so he could have been reading from an old book. My experience with many coaches though is that their memory for splits of swimmers past far exceeds even their memory of birthdays and anniversaries. But I shall ask him in person. I'm sure he'll be amused at all the 'expert' swimming coaches out there who are saying it couldn't be done and his recolection is wrong.

Surely in the absence of disputing evidence such as a video, or scientific proof that it's physiologicaly not possible, the jury would have to accept the testimony of the acknowledged expert (the coach) who has a clean record, no priors, and who says on oath - this is the true version!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
You're thinking Rick Carey. I'm talking about Ray Carey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Carey_%28swimmer%29

EDIT: sorry, just noticed people above already answered this. Also, as far as I know the careys are not related. I grew up swimming against Ray.
Last edited by: hiro11: Feb 10, 15 12:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next