Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I passed you guys on the way back from the Wilmington Whiteface road race and couldn't agree with you more about the awful drivers up there. Not giving you guys any room on top of not slowing down. With all the cyclists in that area I'm not sure why there aren't any "shared road" signs. Between reckless drivers and cyclists trying to avoid poor road conditions its a recipe for disaster.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may head over to LP to do another Whiteface climb with you and stay overnite to watch the start of the Ironman. If I can get a lift to LP, then I will try to ride back to Ottawa the next day. I believe it is around 240K to my house. I just formulated this concept while typing. This thread is evil!!!!....but this is exactly how ideas like the Stupidity challenge start....and no, I will not ride up to LP BEFORE a Whiteface climb....
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very cool idea. maybe I'll start off whiteface with a bit more reasonable power for the first 20' next time. I overcooked it by quite a bit the other day. lesson learned: don't be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keith - Nice work up there and glad to see the bike gods were smiling on you!
I may take you up on your offer to climb Whiteface. I rode the course this weekend and both times I passed WF I thought of you sick puppies!

Anyhow, we scoped out the house my friend is renting in Wilimgton. It's close enough to WF to entice me to give it a go rather than riding the course again. If the stars align and I get back up there for the race I'll drop you a pm.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet! the more the merrier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, my aching taint...

It was so cool hanging out and training with all of you in Lake Placid; perfect conditions on both days and great company. There's not much more to add about the Whiteface climb and Epicman; you guys have said it all. Just a word on Subway/McD's vs, the Brew Pub - normally I would never refuse an invite to good food and beer, but for me this weekend it was all about being efficient - getting my meals quickly and then organizing/recovering/resting for the next event. As much as I would have loved to join you guys, I had other things to get ready for.

Got back to Ottawa about 8:30 on Friday, then gathered gear and food for the next two days' rides. Woke up at 5:15 Saturday morning, ate, drank several gallons of coffee, cycled to Carleton University with Mrs. Rolldown, dropped our bags off, then headed to Kingston via the 220k Challenge Route on the Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour. Mrs. Rolldown doesn't have as much top-end speed as she used to, but her diesel engine is as good as ever, so while we were slow-ish, we rode at a consistent speed. If there is such a thing as a nine-hour recovery ride, that's what I did on Saturday. Sunday we took the Classic Route back to Ottawa, 180k in just over seven hours.

With a couple of mid-week long rides, from Sunday to Sunday I rode over 1040k, did a couple of token swims and runs, and worked out for 43 hours. Oh, and put in 3.5 days at the office. I'm pretty sure that's the biggest eight-day training stretch of my life. Other than an aching taint and a bit of general fatigue, I really don't feel too badly today.

Thanks, Dev, for organizing another successful Epicman, and thanks for everybody's great company! Until Epicman Tremblant...

Chris
Last edited by: Rolldown: Jun 11, 12 10:39
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [Rolldown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn. Just, damn.

You "won" the Stupid Human Tricks award for the weekend for sure.
Amazing amount of volume, AND you crushed it on Whiteface to boot! Plus the Iron Taint Medal of Fortitude.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see you out there looking to kick Mike Coughlin's butt at Ultraman someday... ;-)

Hope I can come out and see everybody again at Tupper.
Still trying to work out the sked for the end of the month.
IF I can make it happen, I'll be there.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope to see you at Tupper Lake, Mike.

Here's our "victory shot" from Whiteface. Left to right: Rolldown, Dev, KAlber, Murphy's Law. Photo taken by MTL (Alexandre).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Keith - I'll be in LP volunteering at bike check-in on Saturday (10:00-3:00?). Not sure if the timing (or my total inability) will jive with your planned trip up whiteface, but I'll gladly partake in any other festivities throughout the weekend. Where are you guys staying?

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Planning next year - when I can hopefully ride again...

What type of W/kg are we talking to do the Whiteface thing without embarrassing oneself? So to for example pull in l'autobus (that's FOBOP in ST terms I guess)?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm volunteering as a bike handler on race day...and am supposed to be at a pre-volunteer meeting saturday at 5...so i'm not sure if things will work out. I'll most likely have to bike up whiteface saturday afternoon. Right now I'm planning on camping...and was looking at rollins pond in saranac. But, i don't have any firm plans yet. what about you?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [Chipmunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My PT is on extended sabbatical these days (another call and shipment to CycleOps imminent), so I don't know for sure what my watts going up WF were. GRRRRR!!!

SWAG of ~3.8x w/kg, got me up in 58 mins.
Alex rode 4.5 w/kg and that netted him 53:xx.
He's a strong fast little bastard.

I'm sure there's a calculator out there you could figger WF time estimate based on w/kg if you were so motivated.

We had another fellow with us, Dave, who started riding 15 mins before we did, so he wouldn't be too far behind at the top, and that worked out fine.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
My PT is on extended sabbatical these days (another call and shipment to CycleOps imminent), so I don't know for sure what my watts going up WF were. GRRRRR!!!

I'm sure there's a calculator out there you could figger WF time estimate based on w/kg if you were so motivated.

We had another fellow with us, Dave, who started riding 15 mins before we did, so he wouldn't be too far behind at the top, and that worked out fine.

OK so I'll get on my trainer now and aim for 4 W/kg. The trainer and a lock on the fridge.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

I averaged 249.1W for a 1:01.11 with the SRM. I weighed myself last week at 138 lbs and 137 lbs today. I may have been fatter for the climb though :-). I was also riding very low psi (around 80 psi on 25c tires) , so that might explain why I took 4W per kilo on the nose to ride 1:01. Seems really slow for that many watts as we had a "good wind day". Or maybe my Airfoil Pro is just a tank for weight when equipped with the SRM!!! The 249W effort felt in line with a few rides at similar wattage this past winter on the CT. Keep in mind that SRM watts read a bit higher than powertap or CT watts. I'll post my ride file later!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [Rolldown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow! that is one helluva week. I think i would have cried if i had to get back on my bike for that long on saturday and sunday. We'll have to meet up after tupper lake for a couple of cold one's then. Last year they had some for free for the racers...if not, we'll be sure to bring a cooler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bumping last year's thread...we're on for next Thu and Friday in Lake Placid. Hopefully someone sends some heat over or it might be like Andy Hampsten on Gavia, except it will be 25 years later and we'll be on Whiteface:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with that. I'll be right next door in lake George. Can't make it again this year and I really want to do this one year. Have fun!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Just bumping last year's thread...we're on for next Thu and Friday in Lake Placid. Hopefully someone sends some heat over or it might be like Andy Hampsten on Gavia, except it will be 25 years later and we'll be on Whiteface:

Just in case people don't know what you're talking about, I'll include the pic from this year's Memorial Day. Here's just outside of Whiteface, living up to it's name:

Once again, I can't make it. One of these years, I'll be there.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess somebody heard Dev's prayers - going to be 80 the next 4 days in LP, then back to more normal 70's after that.

I think the toll road will be clear and open.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope that the road is open but 80F in the valley is still often only 50's up on the mountain. In either case, I better go on a starvation program over the next week. 2.5 weeks of eating out in restaurants on biz travel is not the best prep for going up Whiteface!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You and me both (not so much on the travel, just the eating a lot). Plus, I've done just about nada since AmZof...

It's gonna be ugly. Which at E.Dot, is beautiful.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to use the full ML stupidity challenge to try to shave off some weight. You figure that 12 hours of training in under 24 hours should take care of that!!! Let's see if I can drum up some of the boys from Ottawa to make it over!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK OK OK....in case we have Gavia on Whiteface, I have a backup plan.

• Climb 1, Wilmington Stop sign to Toll Gate and back down
  • Contunue ride IMLP reverse loop to bottom of Keene
  • Climb 2....up Keene
  • But you are not done yet as this is not quite as hard at Whiteface....Transition run is IMLP last run loop, come back to Oval and then run the hill to Crowne Plaza, run to Route 86, back downtown and be a bunch of lame tri geeks in mandatory compression back to the tennis courts

I would like to know from the Chief Technology Officer of the Murphy's Law Stupidity Challenge if the above replacement prologue qualifies as a stand in for the official MLSC prologue. I don't really want anyone dying on a Gavia caliber snow/ice covered descent on P4's with no rear brakes....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VETO the running part. No upside.
At least for me.
You are welcome to do so.

IF the road past the toll booth is nasty, and we choose not to go up, then going back down and doing the reverse loop (sans o&b) is plenty.
YMMV.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going all the way up. You pikers can wuss out if you want. If I'm going to do a stupidity challenge the day before 85% of a self supported ironman...then I'm going 100% stupidity.

"IF the road past the toll booth is nasty, and we choose not to go up"

btw...you know damn well that you won't back off unless the road is covered in ice and snow...and that's probably not going to be the case.

direct from the website:

"The Whiteface Veterans Memorial Highway hopefully will re open this afternoon. Please check back here for updates."

p.s. please stop whining about all the extra baggage you 2 are carrying. I can eliminate that amount of weight by leaving my water bottles at the bottom.
Quote Reply

Prev Next