Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Epic Birthday
Quote | Reply
In my early-20’s, an Epic birthday consisted of hitting the clubs, drinking and carousing as much as possible. In my mid-20’s, I drank, caroused AND trained for my birthdays. When I hit my 30’s, there was less drinking and more training. Now that I’m in my 40’s, I can train a lot but drinking has dramatically reduced and my days of carousing have definitely subsided.

The past few years, I have completed some kind of Epic training for my birthday. Last year, I aimed for 30 runs in 30 days (completed 26, had 4 travel days off). The previous year, it was a 150k bike ride and 5k transition run. This year I have my birthday off work so am looking for ideas for an Epic training birthday.

Any suggestions?

@Kid
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Birthday [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I'd call it epic, but yesterday was my 40th, and I "celebrated" with a weekend of good 'ol fashioned hard work:
  • Very hard 15k road race on Saturday
  • Decent 3 hour ride Sunday morning
  • 14 mile long run on Monday

Today, my old bones are feeling every one of those 40 years.

Oh, and I kicked the weekend off with an early-Friday morning visit to the ER for a nice shot of Versed and a quick reduction of a separated shoulder....but that's a whole 'nuther story!!

Happy Birthday!!!

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my epic New Year's Eve workout:
100X100 swim (this year I did IMs)
100-mile bike
10-mile run
About 12 hours and on the next day you can eat anything you want.
Christmas Eve workout was tougher:
75X100
75-mile bike with 7500' of climb
7.5-mile run
For my 35th birthday (1985) I ran 35 miles (ran a marathon and parked 3 miles away, so I ran to check-in, warmed up for 3 miles and ran to the car afterwards) I don't think I'll do that theme when I turn 60...

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run to a restaurant in another town, about as far as you think you could go in a day. Have your family/friends drive to that town, locate a place to shower and change, then enjoy dinner at the restaurant. Happy Birthday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3100 yd swim
31 mi bike
31k run

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Birthday [Dave Stoller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea Dave,

There's a town around 20k away with some really nice restaurants and friends live there so I can shower. Could also try to fit a nice massage in there too.

To continue with this year by year, I was thinking something like swimming 100 laps minus my age, cycling 100 miles* minus my age and running 70k minus my age. (* mixed miles & km to increase the bike time)

I'm turning 43 so it would be a 2850m swim (57 laps), a 57 mile ride and 17k run. This comes close to tigerchik's numbers with a shorter run.
Then when I turn 65, I would swim 1750k, ride 35 miles and run 5k. By the time I'm 70, I skip the run. By the time I'm 100, I win.

@Kid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Why dont you run your age in miles.....oh wait, we arent on an ultra running site.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Great idea Dave,

There's a town around 20k away with some really nice restaurants and friends live there so I can shower. Could also try to fit a nice massage in there too.

To continue with this year by year, I was thinking something like swimming 100 laps minus my age, cycling 100 miles* minus my age and running 70k minus my age. (* mixed miles & km to increase the bike time)

I'm turning 43 so it would be a 2850m swim (57 laps), a 57 mile ride and 17k run. This comes close to tigerchik's numbers with a shorter run.
Then when I turn 65, I would swim 1750k, ride 35 miles and run 5k. By the time I'm 70, I skip the run. By the time I'm 100, I win.

@Kid

That's a pretty good plan, so you can look forward to a rest day on your 100th birthday. Today is my birthday, and after a quick hard swim I'm heading out for a hilly 20 mile run.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Birthday [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most here have seen this, but in case you missed it, here was my 40th celebration...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/.../lifestyle/leap.html
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Birthday [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy Birthday Colin!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one only requires the morning off work. My husband turned 45 this past October. He, I, and 3 friends with flexible work schedules (OK, we're all University profs or grad students!) got together for 45x100 on 1:45, 45 km cycling (left from pool parking lot), followed by a 45 minute run. And Bob was even back in time to deliver his 12:30 lecture. A good time was had by all!

Happy Birthday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some cool ideas here.

I never even thought of doing something like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Birthday [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Happy Birthday Colin!
Thanks dude. I just aged up, so the other guys in 30-34 better watch out!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Birthday [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 22nd birthday was on sunday the 11th. I did a 5hr 98mile ride and a 45min run. Not a special birthday workout though, just a typical sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Birthday [wheels2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I turn 20 on April 3.
Not sure what I'll do yet... I would really like to run 20 miles, but I don't know if that will happen or not.
And after reading Monty's article - surfing sounds like fun. I looooove to surf.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will turn 50 in June. I am planning to take some time off of work and try to complete the following in a week-
500 miles of biking
50 miles of running
500 pushups
5000 meters swimming

Maybe you can try to do something along those lines using your age as the guide. Ramp it up or down by adding or deleting events depending on your level of fitness.

Of all of the Epic Birthday events I have ever heard of I think Monty's is by far the best.
Quote Reply