Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight
Quote | Reply
Anybody have and test the new Enve Dimension Data aero bar stem set up yet? particularly on P5 vs Aduro?
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drgwood wrote:
Anybody have and test the new Enve Dimension Data aero bar stem set up yet? particularly on P5 vs Aduro?
thanks

I think Jim Manton from ERO has some testing info, but the results may not be public domain.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He seemed to suggest it is quick / probably out performs the Aduro. Would be interesting to see how it stacks up against the intergrated offerings from Zipp, Profile & Tririg.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, we are all waiting to hear what Jim has to say. After all he was the one who teased us with a little info earlier! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I "think" it's okay for me to say it was 6 watts faster than a standard stem (Ritchey Comp). If not, I'll get yelled at and I'll delete this post. :-) Actually, I posted this on Instagram I think last week and no one said anything.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim, so help me compare apples to apples. How would it compare to the standard P5 Six cockpit? Also I saw you worked with my buddy, Kurt B., last week. That had to be fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need an aero stem shootout!

1. ENVE SES aero stem
  2. Profile Design Aeria Ultimate stem
  3. TriRig Sigma X stem
  4. Pro Missile EVO stem
  5. Culprit's eventual stem
  6. Am I missing anything?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is probably where i get into territory that might not be safe, but we'll see.

The testing was done with Amber Neben, current World TT Champ. Last year, she was on a Trek Speed Concept, which wasn't an official team bike, but her contract allowed her to use whatever she wanted. Obviously it worked very well for her. This year, her bike sponsor is Cervelo, but she was still allowed to ride whatever frame she wanted if she could show one was faster than the other. We spent a few days aero testing in both the tunnel and velodrome to find out, in the end, the P5-3 and the Speed Concept were "tied" with one another. We achieved that tie, though, by getting rid of the Aduro, and using the ENVE SES, which allowed us to angle her forearms. Something I changed for her last year when we re-worked her position entirely. The only way we could get her low enough on the SES was to use a Ritchey Comp stem with a -30 degree angle. We did, by the way, try to simply put up-turned extensions on the Aduro, but it was still slower than the SES.

ENVE got wind (no pun intended) of the testing, and suggested we use the new stem, but she raced with it and got some weird numbers that didn't seem to match up aero-wise. It, of course, made no sense that the new ENVE stem was slower, but we needed to rule it out since it was seemingly the only change made. Testing multiple times showed the new stem to be approx 6 watts faster than the same bar setup with the Ritchey stem. All other fit coordinates with adjusted for the difference in stem angles and length. We did eventually figure out why the numbers were off, but it wasn't related to the aero bar or stem set up.

Kurt's a great guy and always fun to work with.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
This is probably where i get into territory that might not be safe, but we'll see.

The testing was done with Amber Neben, current World TT Champ. Last year, she was on a Trek Speed Concept, which wasn't an official team bike, but her contract allowed her to use whatever she wanted. Obviously it worked very well for her. This year, her bike sponsor is Cervelo, but she was still allowed to ride whatever frame she wanted if she could show one was faster than the other. We spent a few days aero testing in both the tunnel and velodrome to find out, in the end, the P5-3 and the Speed Concept were "tied" with one another. We achieved that tie, though, by getting rid of the Aduro, and using the ENVE SES, which allowed us to angle her forearms. Something I changed for her last year when we re-worked her position entirely. The only way we could get her low enough on the SES was to use a Ritchey Comp stem with a -30 degree angle. We did, by the way, try to simply put up-turned extensions on the Aduro, but it was still slower than the SES.

ENVE got wind (no pun intended) of the testing, and suggested we use the new stem, but she raced with it and got some weird numbers that didn't seem to match up aero-wise. It, of course, made no sense that the new ENVE stem was slower, but we needed to rule it out since it was seemingly the only change made. Testing multiple times showed the new stem to be approx 6 watts faster than the same bar setup with the Ritchey stem. All other fit coordinates with adjusted for the difference in stem angles and length. We did eventually figure out why the numbers were off, but it wasn't related to the aero bar or stem set up.

Kurt's a great guy and always fun to work with.

Can I just say I love when Jim chips in with these nuggets. Aero geek gold.
The stem is pretty spendy but....
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
The stem is pretty spendy but....
The stem is only 100 bucks, assuming you're already buying the SES TT bar setup (comparing the price of the bar/stem combo to just the bars). I wonder if they have any plans to sell the stem alone. If I already had the bars I'd be a bit annoyed...
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elite customs in HK seem to have the stem up separately so I would think they will at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a shame UK pricing isn't great the bars alone cost the same in £ as the complete stem and bars package in dollars.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
It's a shame UK pricing isn't great the bars alone cost the same in £ as the complete stem and bars package in dollars.

That's post-referendum exchange rate + 20% VAT for you. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think it was similarly priced before brexit - bit hear you on the Vat front!

Still we may have a tariff free trade deal with the US soon - ok Ì won't hold my breath!
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. Privatised NHS, but at least my stem was cheaper!
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
LOL. Privatised NHS, but at least my stem was cheaper!

Problem is I work for the NHS so will be out of a job and still won't be able to afford one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like she put that positional work to good use at the US nationals. Also a win for Steve Cummings on his P5 with enve bar and stem at the British Champs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim,

it doesn't look like this bar/stem combo would play nicely with a mechanical set up on a p2/3/5. wouldn't it require the stem cap to be left off and wouldn't that be an aero hit?
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
Jim,

it doesn't look like this bar/stem combo would play nicely with a mechanical set up on a p2/3/5. wouldn't it require the stem cap to be left off and wouldn't that be an aero hit?

To be honest, I'm not sure. I wasn't the mechanic, so didn't do the work. I know they initially didn't run the rear brake housing correctly, and the top plate on the stem lifted. It was actually what we though might be the reason her drag numbers were initially off, so we replicated the issue, but funny enough it didn't make a difference. Aero is weird sometimes.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jim, great data.

I fail to see how 2 bars with virtually the same airfoil cross sections would be much different from a drag perspective unless there was a difference in the distance between her pads and the base bar. The SES clearly slopes down while the Aduro is flat, creating the possibility she might be pedestalled a bit off the base. Then the extensions could tilt and closely follow the curvature of her forearms and provide a reasonable leading edge. I could see that being of reasonable benefit.

Have not found enough good pictures though.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
Hey Jim, great data.

I fail to see how 2 bars with virtually the same airfoil cross sections would be much different from a drag perspective unless there was a difference in the distance between her pads and the base bar. The SES clearly slopes down while the Aduro is flat, creating the possibility she might be pedestalled a bit off the base. Then the extensions could tilt and closely follow the curvature of her forearms and provide a reasonable leading edge. I could see that being of reasonable benefit.

Have not found enough good pictures though.

I don't think the Enve bar was any faster, it just allowed her to achieve her position better than the Aduro, which doesn't tilt. The tilt is faster for her at all yaw angles, and allowed us to equal the Speed Concept numbers. With the Aduro, she was slower, even when we changed the extensions and artificially raised her hands/forearms.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how did you artificially raise hands and forearms?
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume just extensions with a lot of rise. The problem with that is your forearms move further away from the extensions, so you end up with both bodies causing drag instead of merging into a single body with an improved leading edge.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve aero bar stem combo...any aero testing insight [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is what I might assume as well, but wanted to hear if it was actually the case and if so, were the elbows on the pads?

I have not found a bar I consider a happy solution to replacing my aduro on p3 set up as of yet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next