Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Energy bars for long course
Quote | Reply
It seems like I see lots of folks with fancy custom concentrate mixes these days for long course. Is anyone still eating energy bars like power bars, cliff bars, picky bars? Ive been using a couple cliff bars the first few hours of my long rides and they seem to be ok but I don't get to test that for the full 26.2 before race day. Input appreciated.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Energy bars for long course [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of the PB&J Bonk Breakers. Had 5 on the bike, no issues on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fig Newtons and Oatmeal Creme Pies are effective and cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did IM Copenhagen last weekend using high5 bars on the bike. Every 20 minutes was half a bar, half a bar and a gel, so full bar and 1 gel per hour. Worked well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UCAN's new peach flavored bar is surprisingly tasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make your own. Then you know what's really in it and you can make it to your taste.
Quote Reply
Re: Energy bars for long course [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the warmer the race the less real food i eat. meaning if it's 90+ i'll be doing more liquid since i'm sweating more.

it sounds weird, but i feel i get more calories through real food. perhaps it's d/t it being digested/absorbed more slowly.

at immt it rained all day. it wans't cold per se, but i knew i would be "colder". i had 2 cliff bars, 2 cliff organic bars and one pro bar along with a concentrated skratch bottle and 4 gels. even then, i felt i was low on nutrition. i drank maybe 15 oz of course gatorade and ate 1 bite of banana.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use 1/2 an energy bar every half hour on the bike. Power bar, Cliff Bar, or Larabar all work for me. I have a couple gels on hand if I can't choke down another bar.
Yes, in a hot race you have to choose your bars more carefully. I need solid food for long races.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Energy bars for long course [Gellyfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gellyfish wrote:
I'm a fan of the PB&J Bonk Breakers. Had 5 on the bike, no issues on the run.

Don't you find them really dry? Even cutting them into small pieces I feel like I'm choking on them until I can get some liquid in my mouth.
Quote Reply
Re: Energy bars for long course [mossym] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the high5 bars too - very moist and nice flavours, especially compared to the cardboard style bar offered by some of the other big brands :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Energy bars for long course [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually make my own for training. For an Im though go with what's on the course just in case you have to use it. So brought the high 5 bars with me, but that was what was available on course in case I needed more for any reason
Quote Reply