Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Eating, eating, ..., eating.. need advice!
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

Before I pose my questions I'll sketch a little background:
I'm 1,81m and 64kg (141lbs), do about 9 trainings a week (building up to marathon for the winter now) and beside that I have quite a busy life at uni.
My breakfast consists of oatmeal, fruit, nuts and yoghurt.
My lunch is wholegrain bread with lettuce, tomatoes and houmous (I try to reduce meat intake to a healthy quantitiy) and one piece of cheese.
Dinner is al about pasta, potatoes or rice with some meat and lots of veggies, there's alot of variation in meals.
Anything in between would be an apple or another slice of bread just to keep myself from becoming hangry. (oh and maybe a bit of dark chocolate)

So.. I'm lean, have (imo) a very well balanced diet.. what's the problem you'd ask? Well the thing is that I'm always hungry.. there will be periods that I try to restrain myself from eating because I think it's just my brain that's craving for food, but then there's this point where I get a noisy stomach and start to feel weak.
I'm basicly eating all the time, to a point where I'm not sure if that's even healthy anymore. Yes I do train alot, so people tell me I should eat alot too, but sometimes it just doesn't feel right and I don't want to end up posting here to ask for advice to get leaner (with all due respect), but I don't want my calorierestraint have an influence on my performance either.

During the tri-season I don't notice this as much because I don't have time to eat big meals inbetween workouts. It's just now that it's winter that it feels as if im eating the world apart. Should I restrain myself from big meals and be a walking caloriecounter? Or shouldn't I worry about it (especially now in winter) as long as I'm eating a mainly healthy and balanced diet?

Any advice is welcome guys! (and girls alike) ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Eating, eating, ..., eating.. need advice! [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- Make sure you're getting enough water
- Take two weeks and eat what you crave, when you crave it... see how it goes.
- Go see a nutritionist

Lots of info missing from your original post, but I'd venture to guess you're not eating enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
64kg at 1.81m is already on the lean side. I would expect that as a dedicated runner, but not on a mutli-sport athlete, even at race weight.

Concerning balancing diet: sort of depends what those 9 trainings are. There are tools to estimate what your expending, use them to get a rough approximation. Looking at the diet itself, it seems well rounded in type, which leaves quantity. Counting calories every meal is (in my opinion) tedious and unnecessary; rather, I recommend getting a scale and weighing everything on a typical day to have a ballpark idea of what's being taken in. Adjust accordingly, reflect, and repeat periodically.

Without numbers, it's difficult to determine the intake. Looking at what's listed, it could very well be under 1.5kCal, which is almost definitely too low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how much of all that are you eating? What is the daily calorie count (intake and burn)?

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try ditching the bread and upping your intake of Omega 3 fats, Avcados, nuts, salmon etc and you won't feel hungry in between meals.
I used to find myself almost feeling hypoglycaemic if I didn't eat around every two hours prior to changing the way I ate. Now I'll happily go 5 hours between meals.
I'm around 2 cm taller than you and about 7 kgs heavier but still lean

No doubt some calorie counting fiend will jump on here and say" You can't do that" but I'd urge you to try it for yourself.
You'll be amazed at the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem with constantly being hungry which led to a lot of snacking. But for the past months I have cut down on carbs, especially before my evening workout, and I am eating more fat (and more meat, hurray!). In no way lchf low in carbs, but around 100-200g per day. And I feel great! Both my hunger and my mood is much more stable. YMMW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat a ton and drink a lot of water
Quote Reply
Re: Eating, eating, ..., eating.. need advice! [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nonojohn wrote:
64kg at 1.81m is already on the lean side. I would expect that as a dedicated runner, but not on a mutli-sport athlete, even at race weight.

Concerning balancing diet: sort of depends what those 9 trainings are. There are tools to estimate what your expending, use them to get a rough approximation. Looking at the diet itself, it seems well rounded in type, which leaves quantity. Counting calories every meal is (in my opinion) tedious and unnecessary; rather, I recommend getting a scale and weighing everything on a typical day to have a ballpark idea of what's being taken in. Adjust accordingly, reflect, and repeat periodically.

Without numbers, it's difficult to determine the intake. Looking at what's listed, it could very well be under 1.5kCal, which is almost definitely too low.

So I did a bit of counting (packages and online counters) this morning and came to this:
Breakfast: 75gr oatmeal, 150gr greek yoghurt, 50gr walnuts/pecans, one banana, 500ml semi-skim milk = 1132kcal (?!).
Lunch: 250gr wholegrain bread, 120gr houmous (spread over 6 slices), 1 tomato, some lettuce, 1 slice of cheese, 20gr of jam = 1030kcal
Dinner: can't really say because every meal is different, but I'll go for seconds (some people describe my plate as a volcano of food). Looking at how many calories breakfast and lunch are, I'd say it could easily go over 1500kcal, or maybe these countings are way overestimated?

Total estimation?: 3560 kcal

As for what I burn:
3 swim trainings/week which are anything between 3000 and 4000 meters and include a technique session, an aerobic session and a threshold session.
4 run trainings/week which includes: 2 recoveryruns 45-60min, 1 speed workout of plus minus 60min and 1 LSD training which is around 20k at the moment (building more mileage in the next weeks up to 38k)
As for the bike training, I cut down from 3 trainings (2x2h and 1x3-5h) to 2x60-90min trainings to facilitate my marathontraining.

Total estimation: No clue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really sure what makes you think you are "unhealthy"

about 3500 calories seems completely normal for the active lifestyle you are living. Also definitely seems like you are eating a well-rounded diet.

If you're really that concerned then go get a biometric screening and see what your blood nutrient levels are. I am 6 foot 152lbs and found out through biometric screen I was 1 point low on good cholesterol and 1 point high on bad cholesterol. I make sure to eat things in moderation, but I am in no way a "nutrition fanatic." My guess is you are fine. I'm hungry all the time too, it's called metabolism.

Obviously eating too much unhealthy food is bad, but eating too much healthy food is essentially impossible. Unless you are taking some sort of vitamin supplements there is no way you are going to be taking in "overdose" amounts of minerals from food that would end up causing bad side-effects in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're quite similar to me in terms of height, weight and training load. i eat similar calorie meals but also have significant morning and afternoon teas - if you're struggling to maintain weight then you can't afford to leave the fuel tank empty. i used to shed weight dangerously when training hard but have learnt how to fuel better

the biggest thing i'd say though is that your food is predominantly carbohydrates and probably a lot of processed carbs at that. these get burnt pretty fast and leave you with nothing. introduce more protein (don't worry about meat as long as its not processed) and healthy fats then i think you'll find you get more sustained energy and can train more without losing weight.

it is expensive though to eat huge quantities of good food. also requires preparation as you can't just buy prepared food (poor quality and really expensive) but need to always ensure you have food on hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating, eating, ..., eating.. need advice! [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what I would do, take it for what you may:
First and foremost - screen yourself for overall health status and heart disease risk. Have full blood panels taken, and exam by your doctor.
(1) Take the Two Week Test by Dr. Phil Maffetone.

(2) During and after the two week test, consume 15-20 servings of (colorful) vegetables and fruits, preferably organic since non-organic items lack minerals. Many of these should be dark leafy greens.

(3) After the two week test, slowly increase your natural carbohydrate intake every two days, observing changes.

- These include all vegetables, fruit, organic dairy, berries, honey, potatoes and rice.
- At your natural carbohydrate intake, you will feel much better than after the two week test (which already will be feeling better than before!).
- You will sleep better, have better mood, better energy, and performance.
- If you add too much carbohydrates, the adverse will be true and symptoms will arise, like insomnia, moodiness, cravings, poor performance, low energy, afternoon fatigue.

(4) Eat adequate protein from whole food sources.
- Meat, fish, nuts, eggs and organic dairy. These should be organic for best nutrient density and to avoid toxic exposure to chemicals and antibiotics stored in the fat of these foods (if non-organic).

(5) Consume the remainder of calories from healthy fat. This will provide the energy for the mitochondria to make ATP for your aerobic energy.
- Coconut oil, Avacado oil, organic butter.
- Do not eat seed oils or vegetable oils (toxic, raise inflammation, increase cholesterol, increase heart disease risk).
- Eat plenty of natural fats, those from organic animal and meat products, eggs, fatty fish, nuts, seeds, coconut, avocado, organic cheeses, full fat dairy.

(6) Get plenty of sun, to stimulate the vitamin D hormone which is a significant cofactor in thousands of processes in the body

(7) Hydrate well. Hydrating foods are a great start. But also drink clean spring water (not tap water) throughout the day.

(8) Mineral up. For every 16oz water your drink, consume 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of pink Himalayan sea salt (supplying 80-90 minerals).

Lastly - after implementing your ideal nutrition plan, follow up with your doctor and see evaluate the changes by re-evaluating your heart disease risk and taking another full bloods panel.

This is just an example of the steps someone could take to find their ideal nutrition plan. I am not attempting to diagnose or treat anything! I am also not a doctor!

Your optimal diet will not have a book, name, and it also will be dynamic based on your state of health and training. Adapt to those changes. Re-assess regularly. Many people read this and may name it "Paleo" or something else. This may not be true. Some young healthy athletes may require more carbohydrates than can be obtained from potatoes and fruit in normal portions, small amounts of gluten free items can then be tested.

Listen to your body!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that satiety is mostly related to volume, not calories, for me. So you might consider stuffing your face with high-volume, low-calorie stuff.

It's not inconceivable you have an endocrine regulatory disorder of some sort, though statistically unlikely. The vast majority of non-diabetes medicated people who claim to suffer "low blood sugar" suffer no such thing, but there are exceptions. So depending on how acute this seems, an appointment with an endocrinologist might be warranted down the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating, eating, ..., eating.. need advice! [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
I had the same problem with constantly being hungry which led to a lot of snacking. But for the past months I have cut down on carbs, especially before my evening workout, and I am eating more fat (and more meat, hurray!). In no way lchf low in carbs, but around 100-200g per day. And I feel great! Both my hunger and my mood is much more stable. YMMW

Ya, my experience exactly, i've found my blood sugar stays much more stable if i eat more protein and fat, and less carbs, although i do consume more carbs than you. On an average day, I'll burn around 4000 cal total, with about 50% of the calories (e.g., about 500 grams) from carbs, 40% from fat, and 10% protein, roughly speaking and on the average. When I went to swimming camp in the summers in HS, they always said swimmers should eat at least 70% of cals from carbs but i found that my blood sugar just fluctuated way too much, even if i ate every 2 hrs. Feel much better on a more balanced intake:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
Nonojohn wrote:

So I did a bit of counting (packages and online counters) this morning and came to this:
Breakfast: 75gr oatmeal, 150gr greek yoghurt, 50gr walnuts/pecans, one banana, 500ml semi-skim milk = 1132kcal (?!).
Lunch: 250gr wholegrain bread, 120gr houmous (spread over 6 slices), 1 tomato, some lettuce, 1 slice of cheese, 20gr of jam = 1030kcal
Dinner: can't really say because every meal is different, but I'll go for seconds (some people describe my plate as a volcano of food). Looking at how many calories breakfast and lunch are, I'd say it could easily go over 1500kcal, or maybe these countings are way overestimated?

Total estimation?: 3560 kcal

As for what I burn:
3 swim trainings/week which are anything between 3000 and 4000 meters and include a technique session, an aerobic session and a threshold session.
4 run trainings/week which includes: 2 recoveryruns 45-60min, 1 speed workout of plus minus 60min and 1 LSD training which is around 20k at the moment (building more mileage in the next weeks up to 38k)
As for the bike training, I cut down from 3 trainings (2x2h and 1x3-5h) to 2x60-90min trainings to facilitate my marathontraining.

Total estimation: No clue

it seems you may have low testosterone... thanks to the too low amount of monounsaturated and saturated fat in your diet. Also quite a lack of low GI fruits/vegetables of color... more colors = more nutrients.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating, eating, ..., eating.. need advice! [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What role does drinking a "ton of water" play? Just curious, thx
Quote Reply