Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10
Quote | Reply
I started making my own cycling shoes years ago.
I always found the running racing flat upper or track spike upper much more comfortable than any cycling shoe that I had ever used. The shoes that I have made never truly wear out...I just get bored and make a new pair with the latest lightweight carbon sole and an upper that I find interesting. Over the last decade with even my "big foot"(size 46) I'm comfortably under 180 grams without the cleat.
I notice a substantial performance difference using a sub 200 gram shoe versus one that is 300 grams to 350 grams.
The costs for a new pair runs around $10 for myself. I have no problem finding people throwing out cycling shoes with a lightweight carbon sole for free.
It's been a fun project and not very difficult to accomplish.
Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [dnomelgreg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you do it?

Are they aero?? /pink
Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cut out the old carbon sole or if using a new carbon sole...simply bond it to the upper...with the previous sole removed.
There are various bonding techniques that you can use...

I recently tried on a pair of these and mine are much more comfortable and stiffer...and lighter.
Last edited by: dnomelgreg: Mar 18, 17 21:49
Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [dnomelgreg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll bite. Would you consider providing more info? Perhaps a photo tutorial? Thanks. David K.
Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested as well. Should be a fun project. Any provided documentation would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will bite as well
I have old road shoes I would try this on
Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [Mercinator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto. Worst case scenario it's a fun project.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is useless without a DIY.

I'm about to replace my road bike shoes and would definitely give this a try with the soles of the old pair just for kicks.
Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a load of old cobblers to me. Ahahahahahahahaha!

Seriously though, they look good. Make me some...?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This project was staring me in the face for a long time but I think the turning point was the day years ago that I started using the Nike Poggio.
Finally, a shoe that made a difference in performance and comfort. I thought back to my days as a runner and the Nike Oregon waffle...the ultimate running shoe for me at the time. After using the Poggio I decided to start the "project".
The goal was to beat the comfort and performance of the Poggio. Now, many years later...my own shoes far surpass the "remarkable" difference that the Poggio made.
I used these "very raw"...actually cycling shoes that Iiked...just stripped down...but very much unfinished as I only started this morning and rode in them this afternoon to do this on Strava. I'll provide as many details on this project next.
Last edited by: dnomelgreg: Mar 19, 17 20:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dnomelgreg wrote:
This project was staring me in the face for a long time but I think the turning point was the day years ago that I started using the Nike Poggio.
Finally, a shoe that made a difference in performance and comfort. I thought back to my days as a runner and the Nike Oregon waffle...the ultimate running shoe for me at the time. After using the Poggio I decided to start the "project".
The goal was to beat the comfort and performance of the Poggio. Now, many years later...my own shoes far surpass the "remarkable" difference that the Poggio made.
I used these "very raw"...actually cycling shoes that Iiked...just stripped down...but very much unfinished as I only started this morning and rode in them this afternoon to do this on Strava. I'll provide as many details on this project next.

OK.
How do you take the shoes apart?
How do you put them back together?
What tools and/or adhesives do you use?

Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a pair today...will take photos and explain the process...on the next pair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dnomelgreg wrote:
I did a pair today...will take photos and explain the process...on the next pair

Please do! I'm really, really interested in this.
Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are not using a new carbon sole...you can easily remove one that you like.
Razor the edges against the sole and the upper will rip right off.
Try not to remove the cleat bolt threads...but if you screw it up..it's easily resolved...I'll go over that later.
Clean it up...get all the crap off that you can....that stuff is useless ...excess weight.
Next Step....looking for an upper that you really find comfortable
Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at this....easy to copy...but I think they did it wrong. Bootie plus shell equals overkill.
In fact the shoes are heavy...I weighed a pair at 265 grams with no cleat.
This could have been done much better.
Pretty crazy that they're asking 900 Euro
But they do look pretty sweet
Last edited by: dnomelgreg: Mar 24, 17 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What glue do you use? And how do you glue the upper on the sole ? Any pictures?
Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many adhesives work. The question is " Am I going to use the sole again"?
Due to the constant pressure...it doesn't take a strong adhesive.
If you plan on possibly using the sole again...glue sticks with heat gun will work. ..shoe goo is a little stronger.
You'll need to clamp the bonds as you go....a bit at a time.
I've also used various types of Bondo and JB Weld. With these adhesives...along with clamping..you will have a difficult task at reusing the sole.
I plan on taking photos of the whole process on the next pair.
Last edited by: dnomelgreg: Mar 27, 17 21:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, you take a good running shoe (Let's say the it's $100), and a good carbon sole (Let's say that the shoe originally cost $100), and then you cut them all up, spend $10 on glue, and glue them together.

..in the end, it looks like a crappy arts and craft project that really cost ~$210.
Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
So, you take a good running shoe (Let's say the it's $100), and a good carbon sole (Let's say that the shoe originally cost $100), and then you cut them all up, spend $10 on glue, and glue them together.

..in the end, it looks like a crappy arts and craft project that really cost ~$210.

feeling of accomplishments priceless... :)

Next project deep dish wheel...

Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brilliant! I'd bet that's not even $10 of duct tape;).
Quote Reply
Re: Easily Make Your Own $350 cycling shoes/sub 200gr for about $10 [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of your facts are incorrect...and it's people like you that make me question "why even bother with this"?
FYI...I won a time trial tonight using my "arts and crafts shoes"....loser!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about making your own carbon fibre sole?

I had some orthotics made years ago where the guy pushed my foot into some crushable foam. Then he made a cast of my foot in the foam mold and made the orthotic on the plaster foot. I still have them and they're over 25 years old. I don't have the plaster feet otherwise I could use some prepreg carbon and vacuum bag then inside the family oven in the kitchen. Hey presto, carbon soles ready for your upper. Screw on the cleats, a knob of rubber (or shoe goo) for the heel and toe and you're away racing. Glue your favourite upper on top of the custom sole and you're onto a winner!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:

So your aim here is what? To completely misrepresent what has been said and mock the result? Easy to do but serves no purpose except to make you seem like an idiot or an ass...
The OP said he can get soles others are throwing out and presumably is also using old running shoes. It was never suggested that he was using new or full priced shoes for materials. My cycling shoe soles are always still in good condition after the uppers have started to fail. Also, my running shoe soles become excessively worn before there's anything wrong with the rest of the shoe. So, it's perfectly reasonable to suggest cycling shoe soles and running shoe uppers are not a cost for these projects.

So, idiot or ass?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dnomelgreg wrote:
All of your facts are incorrect...and it's people like you that make me question "why even bother with this"?
FYI...I won a time trial tonight using my "arts and crafts shoes"....loser!

dnomoelgreg, I apologize for calling it a crappy arts and crafts project. I don't see how this compares to an uber expensive shoe. Perhaps there is something here that I just don't yet appreciate. But I shouldn't be, and don't want to be, so dismissive of someone's attempt to 'hack' something. It was a poor choice of words. For that, I apologize.
Quote Reply

Prev Next