Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL
Quote | Reply
Looking at the results page, there are significantly less red "M"s than in prior years. M40-44 and 35-39 had about 3 or 4 less slots. M30-34 went from 14 in 2003 to 8 this year. Are these slots going to the 70.3 races, or to new full distance races such as IMAZ?

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [PresbyOpie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saw that...was disappointed...I coached Don JC who did a great race with an even splitted marathon (hear that Dev? ;-) ). He PBed by 26' went 9h34, 11th in AG and no Kona slot... :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They wouldn't be going to "new" 70.3 races as any of the actual new races don't have Kona slots. Older 1/2IM's that are now 70.3 still have slots, but I was under the impression they had fewer for 2006 than in previous years. Buffalo Springs for example only has 25 Kona slots for 2006 and 100 slots for 70.3 WC.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...did they have fewer slots or did they go to other age groups?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the total number of slots given, they are assigned proportionally based on how many people are in each age group. If M35-39 and M40-44 had proportionally less people than they would get less spots, the number per age group is not fixed, just the total number.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are going to new IM races like AZ. In the past I think the IMNA races had 100 slots, nowdays they have 80 slots for AGers.
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense that there are fewer slots. IMCDA, IMAZ have been added since 2003. Same amount of slots, more races, fewer slots per race....much harder to get in *If* the quality at each race remains the same.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you search the results and check hawaii qualifiers only box, it seems that there were 80 total slots this year vs 100 in each of the last 2 years (i only looked at fl).
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus there are all the slots going to China.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was talking to a race director, who was considering hosting an Ironman event when they contacted him. The RD has to actually buy the slots from WTC, along with the 30 grand for the "Ironman" title. Yes, the title and slots will bring in more racers, but those slots basically come out of the RD's own pocket. Perhaps the prices went up for the slots and the RD bought less of them, or maybe there was a limit on what WTC would sell to that race. Right there is a couple of possible explanations of what happened.

I heard some other horror stories involving races, the WTC, and the northeast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Women are making up an ever increasing percentage of the field. Therefore they are getting more spots and the men are getting fewer. I do not disagree with this, because it is the equitable way to do it, but the reality is that Hawaii gets harder to qualify for.
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right, it's based on the number of people in each age-group beyond 1 slot per age group in both sexes as a starting point. So if you are on the edge/fringe it becomes a bit of a lottery if there will be spots that you even have a realistic chance of taking a shot at.

Florida would seem to be a race with few roll-downs and after the cut-off this year there were only 10 roll down spots left spread across various age-groups.

I suspect that the total numbers of IMH spots per IM race will be dropping as the WTC continues to add IM races around the world and the numbers of people that they let in at IMH stays roughly the same( about 2,000)

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck, I am waiting for Ironman India. It will give me an excuse to visit relatives and get a Kona slot.

I have to go sub 10:10 at most Ironman North America events to get in at 40-44 and unless I learn how to negative split by getting Francois to coach me, I am resigned to participating in virtual Kona through Ironmanlive :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Women are making up an ever increasing percentage of the field. Therefore they are getting more spots and the men are getting fewer. I do not disagree with this, because it is the equitable way to do it, but the reality is that Hawaii gets harder to qualify for.
Funny you should mention this. As the anal-retentive type that I am, and someone who is more likely to gain a Kona spot in theory than in practice, I compared the 2005 starters (those that show up in the results, including DNFs) at Eagleman and the 2006 entrants. The entry limit went up from 1800 to 2000. In 2005, there were two female age groups (30-34 and 40-44) that had more than one Kona slot (and no slots in 70 and beyond). The registration numbers for 2006 show a huge increase in entrants in the male 35-39 (from 207 starters to 339 registrants!), 40-44 (from 220 to 296) and 45-49 (123 to 189). My quick calculations show that no female AG will have more than one slot in 2006; male 30-34 and 45-49 will have 2 each, and male 35-39 and 40-44 will have 4 each. The three guys entered in 75+ will get to fight it out for their one slot.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

If there is an Ironman India, I would come out of retirment for that. Now that would be an adventure and race of a life time!

Depending on where they have it in India it could be hiller than IM Lanzarote or it could be hotter than Hawaii or it could be flatter than IM Florida or it could be the first Im at high altitude( The Manali area would be outstanding!)

Fleck

Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Fleck, I am waiting for Ironman India. It will give me an excuse to visit relatives and get a Kona slot.

I have to go sub 10:10 at most Ironman North America events to get in at 40-44 and unless I learn how to negative split by getting Francois to coach me, I am resigned to participating in virtual Kona through Ironmanlive :-)
9:59:00 was the last 45-49 slot at IM Florida (8th in AG). Sheesh.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that for many here that seems outrageous, but to me it seems about right. These days for any man under 45 who wants to go to Kona, you are looking at a sub 10 hour time on most of the "reasonable" IM courses assuming decent conditions on the day( Not like at IM Wisco) if you want to assure yourself of a spot at IMH.

I retired a few years ago from serious competition. Next year I turn 45 and IF I was planning a come-back and IF qualfying for IMH at a full IM race was my goal, my rough time goals would be something close to 10:00 hrs or under. That's the reality of the situation.

Fleck

Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually the number of slots/entrants to Hawaii has increased quite a bit over the last 4 years. I did Kona in 2001 and 2005 and the numbers have increased from ~1500 in 2001 all the way up to ~1800 this year. Part of that was the reconfiguration of the transition area on the pier (this created more space for more bikes). However, they are now probably maximizing the space they have, so every race they add now will reduce the number of spots at existing races. I predict that the North American Ironmans as well as a couple of the European IM's will generally hold the 80 spots they currently have. If they do go down, it won't be by alot, maybe 70-75. They are just too popular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep way to many statistics on IM finishes. The main reason for the dwindling number of slots per AG is the reduction in total AG spots from 90 to 70. IMF in prior years got 100 spots with 10 going to the pros (5 to male & 5 to female). In 2005 IMF got 80 spots with 70 going to the AGER so the AG-er lost 20 spots or a 22% reduction.

Additionally, in 2004 there was 21 age categories with finishers and 23 for 2005. The two slot increase was in female age categories with at least one finisher

So for the men even w/o a reduction in the % of racers for each age group, if they previously had 14 slots they would loose 22% of the slots or 3 down to 11.

Peace,

RF
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe this should be a seperate post, but does anyone think that IMNA/WTC may start creating non qualifing IM races rather than diluting the slots at existing races?

Seems to me there is a lot of room for expansion domestically and over seas. Adding an additional 10 races over the next 10-15 years seems realistic to me. However there are only 1500-1600 for qualifing races, no? Most are currently 80 or so slots a race. Assuming 10 more races added that would knock that down to ~50-55 slots a race. Seems like it woudl be very difficult to get in at that level, little room, well less room, for race error.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a roll down in AG 45-49 for IMFL, I was there and took a picture for the wife of the happy couple. You have to go sub 10 minimum in this AG to have an outside chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [feviking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My question is were the qualifying times so fast at IMFL because it was 1) a fast day on a fast track and b) because it was the first qualifier and therefore less roll downs. If I remember correctly at 2005 IMCdA a 10:30 would get you a slot in the 40-44 AG (which was mine a the the time).

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [rover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was a combination of the two factors you mentioned, the course is flat and fast, albeit quite hot this year. And as an initial qualifier for Kona very few roll downs , 10 as matter of fact for entire race. Plus with alot of euros being drawn to race due to climate and tourist attractions in florida, this especially for older 40 plus AG. Makes for a very competetive field
Quote Reply
Re: Dwindling Kona slots at IMFL [feviking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I think it was a combination of the two factors you mentioned, the course is flat and fast, albeit quite hot this year. And as an initial qualifier for Kona very few roll downs , 10 as matter of fact for entire race. Plus with alot of euros being drawn to race due to climate and tourist attractions in florida, this especially for older 40 plus AG. Makes for a very competetive field[/reply]
Actually if you look at the break down
M40-44 5 of 9 from us
M45-49 5 of 7 from us
M50-54 all 5 from us 4 of them did kona 3 weeks prior
M55-59 2 of 3 from us so not as many euros over 40 as you would think 17 out of 24 from us
But M40-44 fastest 4 qualifying were europeon.
Just keeps getting faster every year last year
top 2 M50-54 went under 10 this year top 3 went under 10.
Quote Reply