Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dura Ace 9000 C24 Wheels, C v TL.
Quote | Reply
I've a specific question re. these wheels. I can get a deal on the Tubeless version but I only intend running clinchers. Is this a good/bad idea? Does anyone know what the difference is between the two wheel sets. I'm guessing the rim is different internally to take the tubeless tire. Does anyone run clinchers on a tubeless version and if so is it difficult to mount tires? I have a set of 7900 10 speed C24's so I'm familiar with the overall performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 9000 C24 Wheels, C v TL. [sheene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have these wheels (tubeless). i run clinchers in the winter (big beefy 700x28 conti gatorskins) for best wheel protection and clinchers are way easier to change for flats (for me). the tires and handling are not as good - but i have had zero problems and no (knock on everything) flats. i run tubeless for the rest of the year - for me the grip/extremely rare flats/comfort - is significantly better. i find changing a tubeless flat (with a tube during the ride) pretty hard - so i can hack that with warm hands - but not in 30 degrees.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 9000 C24 Wheels, C v TL. [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I'm guessing no major drawback. The difficulty you have with a tubeless roadside flat is just part of the whole tubeless deal? I'm only intending to run clinchers in 23-24mm size, I'm hoping these should be a pretty easy fit like my current clincher setup. I can change these without levers at a push.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own both sets of wheels you're asking about and I'm scratching my head wondering why you're writing off going tubeless. I'm running the tubeless version with IRC Tubeless Lite tires on one bike and GP 4000s tires on the strictly clincher version (700x23, each). I've interchanged the wheels between a couple of different bikes. The tubeless setup is indistinguishably different as far as speed, but I run them at 87 psi and they're an absolute dream on the crap chip and seal roads I have around where I live. Actually, they're NOT indestinguishable on speed because, after a couple of hours on the tubeless, I'm a whole lot fresher. You can run the tubeless ones as clinchers with no complications at all. The rim bed has no spoke holes, so it looks different, but it has no bearing on mounting a clincher. But again, if you do that, you'll be missing out. Go tubeless. It's awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 9000 C24 Wheels, C v TL. [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 go tubeless
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi bobby, sounds like you are a convert. I already ride at pretty low psi on my current tires for comfort, 80-85psi, and don't have any issues with pinch flats or flats in general though I ride very crappy chip and seal roads. My only motivation for considering the tubeless option with regard to purchasing the wheels was price but after reading the below thread I think I'll stick to my clinchers for the time being. Sounds like the use of sealant is not recommended by Shimano and the tubeless rim is heavier, though not by much.
http://forums.cervelo.com/...114.aspx?PageIndex=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run tubeless C24s for at least three years and many thousands of miles. You're right, no sealant. Had one flat in all that time when the front tire flipped up a screw and it drove into the rear tire at an angle that tore the main trea and sidewall. Sealant wouldn't have mattered.

But I've actually been riding the Hed Ardennes Plus FR wheels tubeless for several months now and I like them better. No issues with running sealant in them. Wider rim ... very sure-footed handling. I'm not a confident descender/bike handler and that matters to me a lot. Just in case you want another alternative to consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks bobby. Good information. I went with the clinchers! I looked around and got a deal on them that cut the price difference. I would love to experiment with tubeless but I'll stick with what I know for this set of wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats ... those are some of the sweetest, smoothest hubs around.
Quote Reply