Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Drop the Dough / Blue's Battle of the Bulge [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DOH, you're busted & out of the challenge.

Not riding Blue Competition & non HED wheels

It's all good :-) I'm glad to be of service
Quote Reply
Re: Drop the Dough / Blue's Battle of the Bulge [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some reason, my weight from Monday (Jan 8) didn't make it onto the chart. I was 158, for a loss of 2. (Probably all water weight.)

ETA: Maybe because it was the last post on page 6?

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Last edited by: SaraJean: Jan 9, 07 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: Drop the Dough / Blue's Battle of the Bulge [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or it could be the way my cold meds are reacting with the alcohol :-)

You info is now on the site

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedy,
I weighed in 1 Jan at 215. 8 Jan, I was 209. Thanks. I had a colonoscopy, which helped with the 6 pounds, if you're wondering.
Quote Reply
Re: Drop the Dough / Blue's Battle of the Bulge [Jeremy K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
& I thought I was hardcore getting a kidney removed to loose weight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Speedy. I lost 20 last year with the challenge and I am here to "weigh in" for my first data for this year ( if it isn't too late).

Started Dec. 26 am at 173 (some water weight probably included)

The next Monday Jan 1st I was at 170.

Yesterday, Jan. 8th I was at 168.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In case my PM to Speedy doesn't count - I'm out of town for 3 weeks...

This week's weight - 204.6 (down 1 pound)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Or it could be the way my cold meds are reacting with the alcohol :-)

You info is now on the site

Thank you!

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Last edited by: SaraJean: Feb 5, 07 6:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the strategy for losing weight when you are starting your training?
Quote Reply
Re: Drop the Dough / Blue's Battle of the Bulge [Fast Chick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My key is...to not eat junk, and try to drink plenty of water. I wouldn't say I'm cutting calories way back...and the calories will have to go up when I start building volume again. But I'm trying to make good choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good suggestions.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, the tough part for me is food choices. I love to eat, and I like burgers and chicken fried steak, and all those sorts of things. So I am now trying to ask myself, "Will this make me leaner/stronger/faster?" before I succumb to my cravings. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What's the strategy for losing weight when you are starting your training?"

I was sent a PM to respond to this thread, so please pardon if I state anything which someone said before (above)...

Here are some guidelines which might help:

http://healthchallenge.pbwiki.com/

Listed out what was on this wiki, here are some of these easy things to remember:

1) Cut out processed or refined foods: whole foods only: Fruits, veggies, meats (if you eat meats), fish, eggs, etc.
2) Eat 5-6 'meals' a day
3) Eat no processed sugar products, added sweetners, or sugar-sourced condiments (including honey, molasses, etc) as 'food'. (Your sugars can only be during your training: during or after, not between meals). CHECK ALL LABELS FOR 'High fructose corn syrup', sugar, 'partially hydrogenated oils', etc.
4) Portion sizes no bigger than the palm (approx 1/2 c). (This doesn't count with salads).
5) Drink water as main liquid source
6) Maintain proper training/race nourishment and hydration, including broad-spectrum electrolytes according to sweat rate needs. Do not skimp on necessary carbs, gels, sports drinks during the important times before, during, after training.
7) Train as normal - or better than normal. Check calorie expenditure on http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/jcalories.html for enough calories to train and live. (Beware that a fat loss program may result in reduced trainiing output if you reduced caloric intake)

Here's some great rules of thumb for "healthy" foods:
-if it's messy
-if it's not easy to serve yourself (ie: not in a package or box)
-if it goes bad quickly if you don't eat it
-if it doesn't have a label-- OR the label has no additives, preservatives, or flavorings
...it's probably good for you

Weekly:

1) 2x or less alcohol per WEEK (to keep sugar-calories down)
2) Less than 3 treat meals this week

There is so much to triathlon nutrition, which is completely different than "weight loss" for non-athletes. Please consult professionals like Joe Friel's written work (Triathletes Training Bible) and other publications.

That being said, many people offer customized programs to help you (and others individually) establish quality nutrition and lifestyle habits to reduce fat but keep quality training. I'm one of those people, but I'm not the only one.

I hope this helps...

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Re: Drop the Dough / Blue's Battle of the Bulge [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, you are my hero.

Thanks for the pointers.

Now we have no excuses. If I follow your guidelines, I'll have to trouble achieving my goal & be healthier to boot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Wow, you are my hero."

LOL... that's nice, but I'm just a smart schmo :); the operative word is on the "schmo". I actually excel in working directly with a person for his/her particular needs, but in a pinch I can write a few down :)

That being said, the changes are easy to understand and harder to implement. There's quite a level of 'mindfulness' to see your difficulties and make those changes. It's quite one thing to say "don't buy products with HFCS", but quite another issue to notice all the current products in your house which contain this ingredient, throw them out, and never buy stuff like that again.

However, the awareness/mindfuless will then always stay with you - and staying slim/healthy/fit will be second-nature.

A recent client of mine just dropped almost 30 lbs (actually, 27 pounds) by making "very few" changes which we arranged. He says it wasn't like any 'diet' he had ever had! He's at 163 (I think), and probably still losing. That's the great part of this type of lifestyle changes: it's not about radical food reduction, it's about understanding what you need and what's not good for you. After those comprehensions get into you, just watch the fat leave your body -- because it doesn't want to be there anyway!

Glad I helped,
lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Re: Drop the Dough / Blue's Battle of the Bulge [Kent KS DU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome back :-)

The site has been updated to include you.

Do I have your reward & dire consequence? Make the reward & consequence something that would be spectacular if achieved & devastating if you don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am publicly totally offended...just to let you know...for dragging me back into this challenge. I did so poorly last year I learned that I should not make bets with cheques I can't cash..soooo. I'll play but knowing full well that my will has, so far, proved rather ineffective..and thus..no reward (other than losing weight) and no consequence (other than still being out of shape) for me. Missed weighing in last Monday..not sure what I was this Monday..but as of tonight I am 198.
And for the record..regarding the opening of my post....;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedy not sure if you saw my weigh in this week its not updated on your website. 227 down 2.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Welcome back :-)

The site has been updated to include you.

Do I have your reward & dire consequence? Make the reward & consequence something that would be spectacular if achieved & devastating if you don't.

Reward...Take a day off work, get a massage and chill out with some cool drinks.

Punishment for failure. Will NOT enter a Duathlon or running race till am down from 173 to less than 155. Further, will add loser under my office name plate if not down to under 155 by April 15th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey speedy when I go to your website and click on the dough it comes up with the 1st photo of your gallery.

Any ideas?

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Drop the Dough / Blue's Battle of the Bulge [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happens when you scroll down?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry bout that, I guess I should actually wait til it loads before I try to scroll.

It's all this snow we got today I thin my brain froze.

Thanks for keeping track and initiating the challenge.

Brian

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Drop the Dough / Blue's Battle of the Bulge [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done. Thx for the prompt

There are some new resources in my blog/news section if you are interested from FitnessCoach as well as from Matt Russ and Ilana Katz.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: Drop the Dough / Blue's Battle of the Bulge [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your info & MBL's have been updated. Good luck to you & the rest of of our fellow challengers because the weekend is almost here. For some of us, weekends are filled with dietary land mines :-)

I'm excited about this coming Monday's weigh in. I've been following Lauren's advice & things are going well (See my blog/news) for more info.

Ciao,

Paul

BTW - I had a server crash, so if the "Reward/consequence" table does not show fully or updates don't show, please be patient. It just takes a little time to cycle through (No pun intended).
Quote Reply
Re: Drop the Dough / Blue's Battle of the Bulge [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After thinking about your suggestions, I am amazed that I have no idea what I could eat! I am equally amazed at how much processed stuff I do eat. This would be tough to do as most of my favourite staples are Spaghetti, rice in a box (those seasoned rice packets you can buy), and breads/bagels.
I literally have no idea what I can eat now. :(
Mark
Quote Reply

Prev Next