Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind"
Quote | Reply
Low in stevia but high on geek factor, a great conversation with Dr. A, Michelle Howe (the REAL brains behind the Saturday app, in Alex's words), along with Dr. Elise (psychologist).

In the 44 minute show, we relate uncomfortable stories about gut distress, the history and endless revisions to the Saturday app, along with the usual "Captain Obvious" calibre questions that will leave some groaning and some enlightened.

Oh yeah, I also hawk that bike company from Oregon.

Listen now at http://www.fitspeek.com

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Harrison is awesome!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i read the ST article on stevia..... for FOP athletes yes it doesnt make sense. for MOP to BOP.. many have weight to lose, so this trickery of the brain that it is receiving fuel is ideal
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
i read the ST article on stevia..... for FOP athletes yes it doesnt make sense. for MOP to BOP.. many have weight to lose, so this trickery of the brain that it is receiving fuel is ideal

Not when you actually need it
While training and racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
synthetic wrote:

long term benefit of weightloss out does short term benefit of one day race performance,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
pk wrote:
synthetic wrote:

long term benefit of weightloss out does short term benefit of one day race performance,
Reducing kcal during training doesn't result in weight loss though. Often the opposite, in practice. Reason: hypoglycemia is a strong stimulant of long-duration overshot hunger.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you could have stated that much better. reduced k-cal in training does lead to weight loss. Do you weigh heavier after training with no water or nutrition intake??? What you could have said, is the likelihood of over-eating to compensate for this loss after training is high
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With as much respect as I can muster, you are my least favorite person on this forum to interact with because you are incredibly rude, at least by my perception, and sometimes obstinate in your ideas which are often wrong and wholly refuted before you by various SME’s.

You are so characteristic in your manner of hostile response, absent concern for either the person or for consideration of their intent, or how that intent came to be present in their mind, that I groaned to myself “ughh am I talking to synthetic again” when I read your response. I hadn’t seen your screen name yet. (I don’t normally check screen name unless I’m curious, and I just attend to ideas, info, and tone/language presented). That indicated, to me, that you are distinct, even among the strong opinions and contrarianism on this forum. It is for that reason I’ve decided to mention it here, for your sake and mostly for others.

So, I guess that makes us even because I suppose you could have stated what you said much better too.

I don’t intend to patronize but if my tone comes off that way, I am sorry. Indeed I’m put off by your response, amidst all the other responses I’ve read from you over the years. And I’m sorry for the public address. I figure it is better this way so that if I’m overreacting, I too can be called out.

Here, I’ll rephrase mine with the addition of one word for explicit clarification:

“Reducing kcal during training doesn't result in weight loss, chronically, though. Often the opposite, in practice. Reason: hypoglycemia is a strong stimulant of long-duration overshot hunger.”

And while I’m here, I’ll add that yes, there are corner cases where it can, chronically but they are outlier and also become conscious of other nutrition factors around the clock. In terms of population averages reduction of intra-workout fueling does more harm than help in the effort of weight management and/or loss. My sample size is large here, and duration of study very long. Before founding my present company my primary job for almost a decade was helping athletes modify their weight and body composition. (n≅1500)

I’ll ask that, regarding the post that you’re claiming I could have stated much better, you please forgive me for my brevity and use of implication for the sake of readability. I may fail here again in the future and would appreciate a much more polite and empathic call-out if, in my interest of time saving, or readability, or conciseness, or sheer lack of writing skill, a message is unclear. Of course, you owe me no such thing, but I just thought I’d state my desire because I’m guessing that most users of this forum who have experienced your harshness and unwavering opinions would prefer the same from you.

I intend to engage in no further discussion with you about fueling and weight loss because of my past experiences reading your approach on various topics including this one. I look forward to engaging with you again on another thread.

Respectfully, albeit a little bothered,
Alex

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wholeheartedly seconded. I may not post much but I read enough that I can spot synthetic from tone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Well said

You pretty much speak for me and many many others

Needed to be said
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is important those in Alex's situation carefully word things correctly, or even correct themselves as they after, which I am appreciating here. Many out there take a statement an 'expert' makes and use it as a free for all excuse to continue something they are doing which is harming themselves - or not seeing results. Now a days, people can find a study to confirm their bias on both ends the argument. FYI, I used to obese myself
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate that response a great deal. Thank you for taking the time to explain in the way that you did.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most people on here need a good spank every now and then. i mostly come on here to spank and be spanked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
It is important those in Alex's situation carefully word things correctly, or even correct themselves as they after, which I am appreciating here. Many out there take a statement an 'expert' makes and use it as a free for all excuse to continue something they are doing which is harming themselves - or not seeing results. Now a days, people can find a study to confirm their bias on both ends the argument. FYI, I used to obese myself

You forgot the apology for being snarky and, typical-for-you, unhelpful
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
synthetic wrote:

You forgot the apology for being snarky and, typical-for-you, unhelpful

anybody spending more than a month on this forum has that figured out that synthetic has taken over from ho2fun to be the awkward guy and like the stro pro hardly ever has something constructive to say as most of the time they add some insult which is totally predictable. i guess its best not to engage with synthetic
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened to Dave?

I had forgotten about the wildness emanating from h2ofun. Powercranks!
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [AEllswrt93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He got banned.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does one get banned?
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y'all should make that a thread.

It would likely drive "engagement" through the roof.

Watch, I'll do it now and in 2 days it will have 500 view and 50 responses.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
How does one get banned?

stick around long enough you'll figure it out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
out of morbid curiosity... what is it that you profess to know a lot about?
whats your "area" of expertise?

many thanks

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not stated I am an expert. Dr Alex Harrison is the expert. But many people can claim they are an expert. I have been mislead myself in the past by other "expert advice", and would rather not others fall into the trap. Question all advice you receive. Even some decent experts can completely change their advice to a wrong path if influenced by selling products (example, Dr. Oz)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have said this previously-I encourage all my interns/residents to question everything to the point of understanding.

In medicine, it’s: see one-do one-teach one

You’ve gotta understand it really well to teach it

Dr Alex appears to know his stuff really well
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
I have said this previously-I encourage all my interns/residents to question everything to the point of understanding.

In medicine, it’s: see one-do one-teach one

You’ve gotta understand it really well to teach it

Dr Alex appears to know his stuff really well

That said I find his excessive use of sugar and fuelling is no good for me and flies in the face of both sports nutritionists I have consulted locally so I say question everything, ask for other opinions and then find what opinion works for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind" [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should probably clarify that there are dozens of other effective ways to get the necessary fuel and optimize performance besides using table sugar. I hope I have never construed that sugar is the only way, the truth and the light. :) It is not.

The reason I beat the sugar drum so vigorously is because the entire market is awash with the opposite - and wrong - messaging that for most people, optimal performance requires a special - almost magical - formulation of multiple ingredients and products, and that there is a large amount of trial and error required to stumble into the complex formulation that works for you.

In reality, sugar should be a first-line carb source for most folks to at least try. There has been nobody saying such a thing because:
  1. Dietitians are often fundamentally biased to be anti-sugar for health reasons, and absent understanding of endurance sport physiology.
  2. Marketing and product departments in nutrition companies feel sheepish listing sugar as their first ingredient. "It's sugar" kind of kills the magic that sells product. :)

I'm not saying that sugar is better than malto+fructose or dextrose+fructose. And in many cases, you can have purely dextrose or maltodextrin and be just fine. Or even just other forms of carbs, including starches, whole foods, etc. In many cases, there are lots and lots of options to get to a good fueling place. I just call folks back to basics when it's getting a little complex. :)

I'm say "SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR" because everyone else is saying "On the bike I take MALTOBRANCHEDHYPERDEXRALONE in a one-to-point-eight-five-zero-six ratio mixed with pure hydroxylated Himalayan spring water at a pH of 7.849 blended to a super-hydro-awesome-gel using crystalline seaweed and Hufflepuff feathers. And on the run I do flat coke for the caffeine." (flat coke is optimal because it's a 1:1 ratio, like sugar, not because of the 38mg caffeine.)

In reality, I often help folks figure out how to fine tune their ratios, a mix of fuel selections that optimize joy/cost/performance/gut comfort, etc etc. Sugar is not the only way. You heard it here first.

Quote Reply

Prev Next