Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Door County HIM
Quote | Reply
I LOVE this race, but what's with the price? $225 is the same cost as an IM 70.3 event. The RD is fantastic, but this is a little much.
And, yes, I know it will still sell out. People will still pay.
Quote Reply
Re: Door County HIM [mnsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd actually say its better...a free beer and sammich post race. Its a non profit event as well...proceeds go to local charity(s).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it sells out, doesn't that mean the price was too low?

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checked out the website. Looks like a good challenge. And as Minnesota guy perfect from a logistics standpoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race and worth the price. Due to the beer, sammich, the area it's better than other 70.3s but the price is getting close to possibly looking into other halves. But I definitely recommend this race

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is one of the few HIM's around the country that sells out faster then a WTC HIM within 200 miles of it in the same month. Trust me it is 225 very well spent.
Quote Reply
Re: Door County HIM [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race, beautiful part of the Midwest AND yes, I was a little shocked at the price for this year, BUT I signed up again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just registered and the reg fee hurts a little, but I prefer Door County to Racine 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signed up for my first Door Co. I've heard so much positive feedback about this race it's hard to imagine it will fully live up to my expectations. But Racine on the other hand....I've spectated it once and ridden around there a little. Nothing calls me too it even if it was cheaper than Door. I guess to each their own but Door looks pretty tough (at least the run does). It has a reasonably competitive AG field and is in a much nicer area IMO. I guess my take is that HIMs are gonna be $175-275 wherever.
Quote Reply
Re: Door County HIM [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in and driving from southwestern Pa.
Quote Reply
Re: Door County HIM [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did this race in the furnace of 2012, entirely worth the fee. Best organized event I have ever done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has the start of the race ever had to be delay slightly due to fog/poor visibility conditions? How warm was it last year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this race a few years ago and came away from it with the impression that the race organization is top-notch. I recall being impressed with how the little details are managed so well -- details that seem to be ignored or glossed over in other races. It was a blast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2010 and 2012, no visibility problems either time. I can't remember exactly how hot it was last year, probably just under 90 but very humid. The race did an impressive job taking measures to help people combat the heat: some sprinklers/misters on course, lots of aid station ice, and many aid stations also had big ice water buckets that you could dunk your head or whatever else in as you went through. There was also a giant pool of cool water to hop in at the finish- jacuzzi size! I had to spend some time in the med tent anyway, but I tend to react much more poorly to hot/humid conditions than most people. Beware miles 10-12.5 of the run course: the second (steeper) climb up the bluff, followed by some gentle grades on extremely exposed roads (no shade). There's an aid station right after the climb, but it seems like an eternity from there to the final one. That stretch is where most people seem to crack, myself included.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twitter | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced... 2010? Lake Michigan (at least the bay) was nice and warm. They did delay for rain - something short, like 30 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is time to refresh this thread as the event (one of the best in the Mid-West) is next weekend. The big question this year deals with the water temperature. Cold/cool front is moving in this week which will make a water warmup unlikely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mid to upper 60s is perfect for a half. Currently the coastal water site has the temps at 67ish.
Quote Reply
Re: Door County HIM [b.will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in Northern Michigan (Traverse City area) a couple weeks ago and Lake Michigan was barely over 50 degrees. Hopefully the other side of the lake is a bit warmer!
Quote Reply
Re: Door County HIM [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Ironman Racine 70.3 water temperature is no more than 54F! However, the Door County event is in more "protected" area with likely warmer temperatures. I doubt it will be over 60F.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Door County HIM [b.will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Body marking tattoos - I am assuming one on each bicep area. Do the other two go on calf?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The water temp at the Door County triathlon is VERY dependent on wind direction. If the wind is coming out of a northerly direction, the water will be 10-15 degrees colder than if it is coming out of the south. I vacation near Fish Creek and the Green Bay water temp will drop easily by that much in 12 hours or so upon a wind direction shift.
Quote Reply
Re: Door County HIM [tiptopshop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the 2:00pm pre-race meeting on Sat. it was announced the water temperature had risen to 69F. On Sunday am, it felt fine but more like 65F. I had no issues at all and was surprised how far I could see under water during the warm-up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
65 degrees compares nicely to the 55 degrees in late June.
Quote Reply