Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Don't fly United with your bike!
Quote | Reply
Actually, don't fly them at all! Went to California last week from Denver. Not only did I get charged $85 for the bike box, but it was 60 lbs so the guy charged me another $50 for being overweight. $135 to ship my bike. No leg room, delays and he was rude while he's overcharging me. No way will I use them again for races / travel if I can help it.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't fly United with your bike! [soneill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
but it was 60 lbs so the guy charged me another $50 for being overweight
how many bikes were you shipping???
Quote Reply
Re: Don't fly United with your bike! [Super Fly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one bike that weighs about 18lbs, some food, some clothes, and the box (box weighs about 30 lbs by itself).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is what you call ignorance. He charged you for the box being oversized and overweight. He was only suppose to charge you for oversized. The problem is that most american airlines don't have a 'button' for bike box so they have to put in like surf board for a charge. If you and they don't know that, then you get charged twice.

It pays to know their rules before hand. I actually had to hand the Delta lady the print out of their rules AND a supervisor had to come over and explain it.

Research and now I UPS my bike to in state races. Cheaper that way.

Owner/Head Coach for Endurance Concepts
http://www.EnduranceConcepts.com
Sponsored by: Cadence Bikes & Multisport & Brooks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I "almost" had the same deal with NWA.

Trico case weighed 25lbs, bike was 16 plus the pump, co2 (duck for cover), extra stuff. I believed 50lbs was their mark, but I was 2 lbs under. If you go somewhere humid, 2 lbs of moisture can easily get into your stuff.

Ended up telling them it was a trade show booth (I'm not kidding as I guess there was some work stuff in there), and they removed the sporting goods fee and it was free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same problems with skis..... They call them the Untied Airline in Vail
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this almost happen several times. The last time was on Delta. It helps to print out the airline's policy from the web and have it available. I've also stood there and called the 800 number while the CS agent waits.

If you still have the receipt, I would call UA and explain what happenned. You are entitled to a refund of the overweight charge.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't fly United with your bike! [kytri_in_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just went to their website. Oversized and overweight both get charged. So they charged me correctly according to their policy. Their policy sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.united.com/...0,6722,50773,00.html

This has to be fairly new, I've travelled United several times and never been charged twice. Maybe I just got lucky? I know mine is over 50lbs with everything in there.

That sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Just went to their website. Oversized and overweight both get charged. So they charged me correctly according to their policy. Their policy sucks. [/reply]

It does suck but all the other airlines have pretty much the same rules. As others have said, have a copy of the rules, use the smallest, lightest box possible and weigh anything that seems too heavy. I've had airlines completely ignore their rules and let the bike go free and I've had them try to say I couldn't take the bike at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't fly United with your bike! [kytri_in_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there any standard bike case that measures < 62 linear inches? (not S&S couplers or Ritchey Breakaway)
Quote Reply
Re: Don't fly United with your bike! [bogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had great success with the Akona Biospeed case. Zero fees & zero damage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any standard bike case that measures < 62 linear inches? (not S&S couplers or Ritchey Breakaway)

62 inches is l + w+ h. You cannot physically get a road/tri bike into a box less than 62 inches. It is possible to get the frame, without seat post and fork attached, in a custom box, but you would have to ship the wheels in another box. There goes your two piece luggage allowance.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't fly United with your bike! [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedy, did you always place your Akona case with the slanted side facing away from the attendant, so he/she doesn't realize that the base is much wider than the top and wouldn't think about measuring it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You give me much more credit than I deserve. When I get to the check in counter, when asked how many bags I say two. Put the Akona case & other bag on the scale. The bags are tagged & I'm done.

For more info, check out www.akonabiospeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last time I shipped my bike, with all my gear, tools, pump, food, etc. my box only weighed 35 lbs. Just how much stuff did you stuff into your box to get up to 60 lbs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the same thing. One piece of luggage for me and one bike box......no fees.....no hassel.......

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think United is alone in this rip-off. If I recall correctly most domestic airlines started charging for over weight (usually 50 lbs.) luggage over a year ago due to concern for injury claims by baggage handlers. Unfortunately, if you use a Tri-All 3 case as I do, you are pretty much screwed as the empty case weighs 30 lbs. As soon as I throw my wetsuit, helmet and spare tire, pump, etc. in the box I am over weight even with a light bike. Plus, there is no way to disguise it as something else.

It looks like I either stick to my current plan of only doing races within driving distance or invest in one of the Akona cases Speedy recommends.

Anybody want to buy a Tri-All 3 case?

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: Don't fly United with your bike! [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a triall-3 case that I have flown with a lot. It's never been more than 50 pounds. If it is, it's easy enough to move some of the excess to another bag.

In this case, the airlines are screwing everyone they can. Bikes are only a convenient target.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You give me much more credit than I deserve. When I get to the check in counter, when asked how many bags I say two. Put the Akona case & other bag on the scale. The bags are tagged & I'm done.

For more info, check out www.akonabiospeed.com
From the picture it looks like you have to take off the rear derailer, do you have to take it off and is there anything else that has to come off besides the normal handle bar, pedals, and seat post?
Quote Reply
Re: Don't fly United with your bike! [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you don't mind screwing with the airlines, then leave out some of your stuff when they weigh it, then put your stuff in before you bring it over to the security guys. have done this a bunch of times without anyone noticing or caring.

also, start by saying it is a trade show case. they cannot question this as you could be taking a bike to a trade show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a similar situation with them. They wanted to charge for the bike, plus count it as an extra bag. Called customer service later and they said they should NOT be double-dipping on the charges like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't fly United with your bike! [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's very easy to take off the rear derailleur and something you should do on any clamshell or bag-type bike case.

Quote:
From the picture it looks like you have to take off the rear derailer, do you have to take it off and is there anything else that has to come off besides the normal handle bar, pedals, and seat post?
Quote Reply
Re: Don't fly United with your bike! [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 lbs of moisture? where are you going Atlantis?
Quote:
In Reply To:
[/quote]
Quote Reply
Shipping [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those of you who ship your bikes, how long does UPS ground usually take? I'm taking my bike cross country next month and have a race at home the following week. I'm wondering if I ship it whether it'll make it back in time!
Quote Reply

Prev Next