Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift?
Quote | Reply
On the one hand if someone is okay stealing from paypal by misrepresenting the transaction, why would such a seller not be okay stealing from you by misrepresenting the products being sold? On the other hand I want my bike parts cheaply, and it's tempting to just add the fee and carry on. What says ST?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift? [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't ever use cash for point of sale transactions, do you? I hope you wouldn't ever steal from Mastercard or Visa by not forcing the merchant to pay a transaction fee.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift? [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say that it depends on how long that the ST'er has been a member.

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ST classifieds? assuming yes, then you're generally going to be getting a discount vs. eBay. So it seems reasonable to pay via personal transfer. Or if you have a concern, offer as the buyer to pay (or split) the transaction fee. Which I've done, for items that are significantly expensive. In general, I'd say ST classifieds is pretty reliable. Nothing but good experiences here, on both sides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether I trust the person or not, I will pay the 3% if I have to. Even if I'm the seller, I suggest a straight up transaction.

Last edited by: Jamaican: Jul 14, 14 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift? [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For $30? Sure. $100? Never. I also have a distaste for people who state "buyer pays fees." If you can't account for the percentage paypal takes in your asking price stop trying to sell things on the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it a gift?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift? [aftereffector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aftereffector wrote:
You don't ever use cash for point of sale transactions, do you? I hope you wouldn't ever steal from Mastercard or Visa by not forcing the merchant to pay a transaction fee.

This logic is manifestly bogus. Using cash doesn't inherently involve lying.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
ST classifieds? assuming yes, then you're generally going to be getting a discount vs. eBay. So it seems reasonable to pay via personal transfer. Or if you have a concern, offer as the buyer to pay (or split) the transaction fee. Which I've done, for items that are significantly expensive. In general, I'd say ST classifieds is pretty reliable. Nothing but good experiences here, on both sides.

Okay, I suppose I can accept that I am unlikely to be swindled by a long time forum member. However when you pay for goods via gift on payment, are you not stealing from paypal? Seems rather akin to banditing a race to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a seller who uses Paypal. asking for payment as "gift" also protects me from unscrupulous buyers that take your item and file a claim with Paypal to get their monies back. It happens and Paypal always sides with the buyer. They get their money back AND keep your item.

Check out the guy or gal your buying from as its pretty easy to do so, and ask people (PM) who have bought from them before how the deal went.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paypal collects their fee regardless. They aren't a non-profit after all. The difference between the 2 scenarios is who's paying for the fees: the buyer or the seller.

Quote | Reply
I completely agree. I just got screwed over by a buyer who claimed that they never authorized the transaction and Paypal isn't doing a thing to help me even though I provided tracking number and everything. They said that it wasn't them that was pursuing this issue, it was the credit card company. All this grief over a $50 item. Never again.

Quote | Reply
so if you have already drawn your conclusion, why ask the question in the first place?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift? [eclipsed168] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eclipsed168 wrote:
Paypal collects their fee regardless. They aren't a non-profit after all. The difference between the 2 scenarios is who's paying for the fees: the buyer or the seller.
My understanding was that if the payment was classified as a gift there are no fees deducted. Otherwise the person receiving the payment has the fee deducted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are transaction fees to be paid. Most people will not want this and put it on the buyer. Seems pretty standard to me. Some businesses will tack on a convenience fee, though it can be vague on whether the processors really allow this or not.

You aren't stealing from Paypal. If you pay via your checking account, 0 fees for everyone. Use your card, you pay the fee. 3%?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift? [gohmdoree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you need to do a bit of fact checking.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift? [eclipsed168] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eclipsed168 wrote:

Yes and No

From Paypal: Sending money to friends and family is free for you and the recipient in the US when you fund the transfer with your bank account or PayPal balance. You can also use a debit or credit card or make an international transfer for a small fee. The credit cards charge us a little so we charge you a little for the convenience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
explain
Quote Reply
Re: Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift? [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
eclipsed168 wrote:
My understanding was that if the payment was classified as a gift there are no fees deducted. Otherwise the person receiving the payment has the fee deducted.

You are correct greg, the other poster is incorrect.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift? [gohmdoree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gohmdoree wrote:
explain

Reading your post honestly I wouldn't know where to begin. I would suggest you go to PayPal FAQ and see how the fees are charged and who they are charged/deducted to/from.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If selling an item, I never ask the buyer to send via paypal gift, if they do that is fine. As a buyer though, I will never agree to sending via paypal gift, no matter what amount. It is just safer that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little off topic, but I once sold a bike on ST for $600 and received a paypal payment. While packing the bike, I noticed a hair crack in the seat post and told the seller. I offered him the $600 back. I had to take the 3% discount when I got the $600, and mark-up the $600 when I sent the money back via paypal. It costs me $36 in fees to receive and return the money.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift? [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok
Quote Reply
Re: Do you trust sellers who want to be paid via paypal gift? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
so if you have already drawn your conclusion, why ask the question in the first place?

You have a point. Now that I think about it what I really want to know is how so many ST'ers are fine with lying and stealing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mikemojo, is that you?
Last edited by: BrianB: Jul 15, 14 4:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next