Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Do you stretch? Do you perceive it as helping?
Quote | Reply
This strikes me as a pretty good summary of the current evidence-based thinking on stretching: http://www.iflscience.com/...h-and-after-exercise

The case for stretching--for flexibility, injury-prevention, or soreness-reduction--seems to be pretty weak. But as someone who was "born with the hamstrings of a shorter man," and whose relatively tight, well, everything, feels like an impediment on the bike, but also running and swimming, I've been mulling this issue, and sporadically stretching, for some time.

Curious how others approach this issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you stretch? Do you perceive it as helping? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As you have figured out, there is little evidence that stretching for endurance sports has significant benefits. That said, it is likely that functional flexibility has benefits. However, the best way to get that type of specific flexibility is to simply move.

In other words, want better swimming flexibility? The best way to get that is to just swim.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Do you stretch? Do you perceive it as helping? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
As you have figured out, there is little evidence that stretching for endurance sports has significant benefits. That said, it is likely that functional flexibility has benefits. However, the best way to get that type of specific flexibility is to simply move.

In other words, want better swimming flexibility? The best way to get that is to just swim.

I notice it most acutely on the bike. My hips are rather inflexible, and that has ramifications for my position on the bike and my biomechanics. A lot of work with a local fitter has dialed in a pretty functional position, albeit within the constraints of my lack of flexibility. You're saying just biking a lot may ease that over time?

Certainly, running a lot is not making me more flexible--on the contrary, it feels like it has exactly the opposite effect over time.

Swimming is interesting, inflexibility feels like much less of an impediment and I could be persuaded that swimming itself can help there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a lot of back pain over the years (hockey, water skiing) cycling, swimming and running it was worse. Esp kick work swimming. Seriously limiting my pool time too much pain.

As I said in this video, it's those strong lower pelvis to lumbar connections that just pull or gnaw at the lower lumbar because they are too tight. You know it!

I designed this stretch from various elements - a hanging swimmer's stretch, yoga and some things I was doing in the TRX. Put them all together and bingo, I have not had back trouble since. I do this most days. If I don't my back starts to get sore and I just spend 10 minutes or so hanging around. I also like to stretch and roll my quads and do core work from time to time.

But give this one a try. My PT was quite impressed said I should "patent it" Too late for that!

<

Let me know if you can do it

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Do you stretch? Do you perceive it as helping? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
I had a lot of back pain over the years (hockey, water skiing) cycling, swimming and running it was worse. Esp kick work swimming. Seriously limiting my pool time too much pain.

As I said in this video, it's those strong lower pelvis to lumbar connections that just pull or gnaw at the lower lumbar because they are too tight. You know it!

I designed this stretch from various elements - a hanging swimmer's stretch, yoga and some things I was doing in the TRX. Put them all together and bingo, I have not had back trouble since. I do this most days. If I don't my back starts to get sore and I just spend 10 minutes or so hanging around. I also like to stretch and roll my quads and do core work from time to time.

But give this one a try. My PT was quite impressed said I should "patent it" Too late for that!

<

Let me know if you can do it

That looks potentially quite helpful. But figuring out where/how to do it is another matter... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tightness in the legs from the bottom up was the and always has been the source of my back, foot and leg problems. Moving from power lifting to triathlon meant my normal core routine which offset the pain was not there anymore so when I get to longer distances, I would get back pain. Tried yoga and I found it worked wonders. After going regularly a couple of months, I was able to maintain flexibility and mitigate the pain with minimal effort. I found power worked well, but burned calories needed for training or left me to tired to adequately train on the same day, so I switched to yin which was less intense. Pretty much pain free and when plantar fasciitis acts up I go to a class and it seems to ease a lot.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't stretch at all but foam roller a bit (not enough mind) and occasionally get a massage (again not often enough.) In my opinion I'd err on the side of foam roller/ massage rather than stretching. I like the roller before a workout as it also serves as a pre warm up warm up and it's good for preparing you for the session. If I had more time/ more patience I'd foam roll way more and it's always the one thing I try to force myself to do more of as I feel the benefits quite readily after.

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sample size of 1 ;)

I used to stretch after every activity, then I read that it was a waste of time, so I stopped. After stopping stretching I picked up loads of injuries!
The injuries could have been caused by other things, who knows
I stretch now

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
This strikes me as a pretty good summary of the current evidence-based thinking on stretching: http://www.iflscience.com/...h-and-after-exercise

The case for stretching--for flexibility, injury-prevention, or soreness-reduction--seems to be pretty weak. But as someone who was "born with the hamstrings of a shorter man," and whose relatively tight, well, everything, feels like an impediment on the bike, but also running and swimming, I've been mulling this issue, and sporadically stretching, for some time.

Curious how others approach this issue.

So your "tight"?

Don't look at stretching as the solution, first find out what the problem is, then find the solution.

For example, it could be anatomical. Hamstring tightness can come from an anteriorly tilted pelvis, I have seen people who have tight hamstrings just by standing still.

The solution of to swim more I don't agree with. Not saying it won't work, but it doesn't search for the cause of the problem. Your tight hamstrings could be a training issue, anatomical problem, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike fitter attributed my good aero position to good flexibility. I work on stretching when I go to the gym (2-3 times a week). I figure if I have been stretching, and not getting any injuries, ill just keep doing what I am doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you stretch? Do you perceive it as helping? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nifty!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dynamic stretch before.
Foam Roll afterwards.

I stretch sometimes after a tough run, but that is usually because I am tired and just want to lie down / hang for a few minutes :-)

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear, the article is addressing "routine stretching as part of your warm up." That is different than "stretching as therapy to address specific issues."

Back in my swimming days, we stretched for 15-20 minutes before every workout. I never thought it did much other than a) cut 15-20 minutes of the time we had to spend suffering in the pool and b) provide some entertainment opportunities for some people to show off how flexible they already were. I was pretty flexible in my shoulders at least back then but I don't think daily stretching had much if anything to do with it.

On the other hand, stretching is very effective in dealing with specific issues. Over the years I have had some IT band issues and, my torture of late, periodic major tightness in my glutes and hips from cycling which makes my lower back hurt. In both cases, I have been saved by doing specific stretches to address these specific issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I warm up before workouts. 5-10' easy. Also try to do trigger point massage (RumbleRoller) a few times a week for body alignment and to relax tight muscles/adhesions. My favorite time to roll is just before a run.

Before a race I'll warm up (run/swim) and just before the swim start I'll do a few quick, dynamic calf stretches because I've had muscle cramping issues in the past (bike) and it seems to help.

After a quality workout I stretch for 5'. It feels good, and at age 44, I've had very few sport-related injuries. I am able to hold a fairly low position on my tri bike in part due to flexibility. So put quite simply, I'm going to continue to do what works for me.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Do you stretch? Do you perceive it as helping? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never been one to stretch, but my last two knee injuries have been caused by tight hamstrings, so I'm going to start just stretching the hamstrings before and after runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Certainly, running a lot is not making me more flexible--on the contrary, it feels like it has exactly the opposite effect over time.

That may be the case. Or it may not be the case. Or running may make some joints more flexible and others less flexible. You would have to precisely measure your range of motion at each affected joint when sedentary, and then after being solidly well into a running program. And then compare those two numbers. I would guess that the results of precise measurement might surprise you.

But, of course, your age and aging over time also play a part. But if running is indeed making you less flexible in some joints, likely that is what you need as a runner. Oddly enough, more flexibility in certain joints will make a you a slower runner and/or a more injury-prone runner.

An important aside: for certain joints, running may not be making you less flexible. But running and then sitting (as many of us have to do at our jobs) could be making you less flexible. That might be the issue. Things are complicated, and few things are totally black or white.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Do you stretch? Do you perceive it as helping? [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is very clear to me (from personal experience) that stretching after running and cycling reduces soreness and helps with cramping and tightness.

Ice baths do the same thing.

On the other hand:
The reason that we train is not to be sore. It is to cause our bodies to change in response to the training stimulus.
If stretching and ice baths reduce soreness, then do they also limit the bodies response to the training stimulus?

Well maximum adaptation is only one of my training goals.
Feeling good is another.

If stretching reduces soreness but also reduce my bodies adaptation to training it is a fair trade off- if I feel better.

I will continue to stretch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to stretch before and after warmup for swimming.

Now I just stretch my arms over my head before I get into the water and all of my shoulder issues went away.

Started that about 3 years ago.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Do you stretch? Do you perceive it as helping? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Just to be clear, the article is addressing "routine stretching as part of your warm up." That is different than "stretching as therapy to address specific issues."

Exactly. But it's more expedient to debunk pre-workout "warmup" rituals than to study post-workout relaxation and therapy techniques. And it makes for more sensationalist journalism.

Five years after my spine fusion it would be silly of me to think everyone needs to stretch the same ways that I do. That doesn't mean I'd be better off without it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless of what reports and studies say, my body tells me to stretch after running.

No stretching = ouch

stretching = less ouch

I'm not talking about some new style dynamic stretch stuff. The key for me is old school static stretches right after I finish a run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't stretch before biking or running. I do dynamic stretching before running. I do foam rolling, stretching, and sometimes a few rubber band strengthening exercises most evenings. I'm old and I was getting tighter every year, and it just feels healthier and better to have reasonable flexibility. I do think the flexibility has helped my aero position on the bike, some folks say it doesn't matter and that may be true for younger, limber folks but for me it's really helped me ride with an aggressive aero position despite my age. For a long time I didn't stretch, and I incurred some overuse injuries from running and biking that interfered with my training and forced me to raise my handlebars, among other things. A long bout of PT helped, and I've kept up the specific stretching and strengthening I learned in PT and am now injury free and once again riding with an aggressive position. I had a top 10% Olympic bike split a week ago at age 62 mostly due to being aero, it certainly wasn't my FTP, LOL.

Also, I didn't take up swimming until late in life and have shoulder and ankle mobility issues that hinder my technique, and I do specific stretching to address both issues. Progress is slow but I keep plugging away.

Stretching as a warmup may well be a myth, and it may be politically correct on ST to badmouth stretching, but personally I find stretching very worthwhile as a supplement to my training program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't stretch, I don't warm up, and I don't foam roll. I have never seen a tangible benefit to any of those activities either now, as an endurance athlete, or as a weightlifter. Sometimes if the muscle wasn't warmed up you could have a cramp but I normally did my heaviest sets pretty cold. Normally people who had to get a warm-up pump first were on roids, but I digress...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never, ever, ever stretched as I saw neither science behind nor reason for it.

Now, at 53, with some seriously tight adductors, I stretch those muscles only after a short warm-up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never been one to live and die by the next 'study' that says one way or the other I just experiment for myself. My back revolts quickly in a few days w/o stretching a few culprits. Hammys, IT, TFL, glutes and adductors don't do well with lots of sitting and that is my job: travel. I have half a dozen stretches I do on the floor takes 15 mintues. Do them every day, no issues. Skip a few days when really busy, hello trouble. It's not just helping it's the difference b/t being able to go on the road or not. Even on weeks when I don't travel and don't sit a lot like vaca last week I have to stay on it or my back will start saying 'heyyyyy don't forget about me dummy!'.

As far as other parts go I think activity is what has helped. Swimming more helps me get more range and I don't stretch any of those muscles other than pulling on side of pool for a minute or two on lats after warm up b/f main set.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Sep 1, 15 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Do you stretch? Do you perceive it as helping? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
I have never been one to live and die by the next 'study' that says one way or the other I just experiment for myself. My back revolts quickly in a few days w/o stretching a few culprits. Hammys, IT, TFL, glutes and adductors don't do well with lots of sitting and that is my job: travel. I have half a dozen stretches I do on the floor takes 15 mintues. Do them every day, no issues. Skip a few days when really busy, hello trouble. It's not just helping it's the difference b/t being able to go on the road or not. Even on weeks when I don't travel and don't sit a lot like vaca last week I have to stay on it or my back will start saying 'heyyyyy don't forget about me dummy!'.

As far as other parts go I think activity is what has helped. Swimming more helps me get more range and I don't stretch any of those muscles other than pulling on side of pool for a minute or two on lats after warm up b/f main set.

Tiger - Do you not feel though that swimming itself stretches you out a lot, espec the flip turns which IMO stretch your lower back, but also just the whole act of stretching your arms out on every stroke. Regardless of what stroke i'm doing, it seems/feels to me like i'm stretching out on every stroke. I stretch outside the pool some also but mostly just as i feel the need. I don't have the back/leg issues that flare up if i don't stretch. Not saying i'm super flexible b/c i'm not, but just that my body is diff from yours:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next