Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Disneyworld 2 weeks before first IM?
Quote | Reply
Last night I had the big sit down with my wife to discuss attempting my first IM. Good news is I got her on board to let me sign up for IMTX 2014 (we live in Houston, so it's my hometown race). The problem is that next year we want to take the kids to Disneyworld for the first time and she has read and is dead set on going the week of May 4th-11th, because she read all kinds of stuff about how it's the best time for low crowds, ticket prices, etc.

I think this would still work out ok but wanted to get some input from IM vets. All the training programs I have looked at online basically peak right before we would leave for the trip and then start a two week taper. So for that first week of the two week taper it would mean I would be driving to Florida, doing my swims and runs on top of walking around amusement parks all day, and drive back from Florida, getting home with a full week to rest up. Does that sounds too insane? On paper I don't think it's too bad, but wanted to get input from you all so I don't sign up with sabotage already on the books because of the trip.

FYI, We would be there 7 days, with 5 days at the parks and two "rest" days just hanging out at the resort. I would keep up my run and swim workouts, but not sure if I would attempt to take my bike or just ride a stationary at the resort fitness center.
Quote Reply
Re: Disneyworld 2 weeks before first IM? [Jim01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Narcissism at its best.
Quote Reply
Re: Disneyworld 2 weeks before first IM? [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is this narcissism? It's not all about me. I work from home and get the VAST majority of my workouts done during my lunch break or when the kids are in bed. My kids and the trip are my first priority, I am simply asking what kind of impact this might have on my first attempt at an IM.

Thanks for the helpful reply though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get your last big workouts in the week leading up to your vacation and have fun at Disney. Try to get in a 30-60 minutes per day of running, swimming or cycling just to keep up on the fitness but don't stress it. Remember that you'll be walking a lot of miles each day at the parks. We have been to Disney 4x in the last 5 years and walking around all day in warm weather is a workout in and of itself.

And don't eat yourself into a coma.

Which resort??? I have done a lot of running around Disney, especially the Magic Kingdom area (which is the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, and Wilderness Lodge), and the Epcot area.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'll be fine but my biggest concern would be around getting sick. Being around a mass of humanity and all that travel would make me nervous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not crazy to do. In fact, I think it could be good for you as it can take your mind off your taper, calm nerves two weeks before race.

Also, unless you are absolutely FOP, don't think it will make much difference for you as your training will be done by that point.

You'll be able to get your runs and swims in. I'd even say you could get away without taking your bike... how many rides would you miss? Not many. Walking around Disney? This should not affect you too much.

There are people on here who've done more IMs than me (2 x IMoo)... but one thing I've learned: you can be too precious with it. You can freak out about every minor detail leading up to the race... and it can do more harm than good. Too much stress, nerves, etc can actually inflict you by making dumb mistake, injure yourself, etc.

So really, enjoy your family time - as it looks like you do - and make it all work. It will.
Quote Reply
Re: Disneyworld 2 weeks before first IM? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She found a great deal at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

Thanks for the reply. I figure the walking will keep me in shape and like you said, just throw in a short workout to keep the blood flowing.

Also hoping the walking in the humidity will be a good acclimation exercise for the heat of IMTX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't want to workout. You will be too tired from everything else. Plan some runs but I wouldn't go crazy trying to get everything in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim01 wrote:
How is this narcissism? It's not all about me. I work from home and get the VAST majority of my workouts done during my lunch break or when the kids are in bed. My kids and the trip are my first priority, I am simply asking what kind of impact this might have on my first attempt at an IM.

Thanks for the helpful reply though.

Have you been to Dinsey before? Yes, like your wife researched, that weak is rather slow compared to the middle of summer; but even without kids, just walking around the parks will take it out of you. With kids, you'll be doing a lot of standing in lines as the lines for the kid rides are still long (1+ hrs) even in the off season.

Do you visit your local amusement park (if you have one)? Do you remember how you feel after a full day there? Now think of that 5 days in a row. That's pretty close to what Disney is like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to be taking the kids out of school anyway...go for late January. Lower crowds (other than some tour groups from South America, but just steer clear of the groups and you're fine). Avoid MLK weekend and you're good. Went for a quick trip 2 years ago Jan. 18-21 (MLK was on the 16th that year) and just about walked on to everything. Weather can be iffy, but just dress for it.

Also, try http://www.mousesavers.com for various resort specials....there are discounts currently out for Jan. 5--sometime in March, I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonnet creek is great. You will love it. I ran every morning around the lake in the middle of the complex. Its a paved trail. Kids yell from the balcony to run faster. Fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you will be fine but keep this in mind. When we did Disney this summer I took my Garmin along to see how far we were walking. Day 1 - 12 miles, Day 2 - 7 mile, Day 3 - 11 miles! I stopped tracking after that. After 6 days with 1 "rest" day I was more sore than when I did my Ironman. You are going to be too tired to workout but trust me you will be putting in a lot of miles. Try to eat healthy and have fun. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used to work there...everytime i have to take people there i cringe.

the though of standing in lines is absolutely numbing. i would never go in may. its already hot by that time, high 80's breaking into 90's. after a full day you will be crushed.

maybe a light swim if you can. just get the workouts in before you get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim01 wrote:
Last night I had the big sit down with my wife to discuss attempting my first IM. Good news is I got her on board to let me sign up for IMTX 2014 (we live in Houston, so it's my hometown race). The problem is that next year we want to take the kids to Disneyworld for the first time and she has read and is dead set on going the week of May 4th-11th, because she read all kinds of stuff about how it's the best time for low crowds, ticket prices, etc.

I think this would still work out ok but wanted to get some input from IM vets. All the training programs I have looked at online basically peak right before we would leave for the trip and then start a two week taper. So for that first week of the two week taper it would mean I would be driving to Florida, doing my swims and runs on top of walking around amusement parks all day, and drive back from Florida, getting home with a full week to rest up. Does that sounds too insane? On paper I don't think it's too bad, but wanted to get input from you all so I don't sign up with sabotage already on the books because of the trip.

FYI, We would be there 7 days, with 5 days at the parks and two "rest" days just hanging out at the resort. I would keep up my run and swim workouts, but not sure if I would attempt to take my bike or just ride a stationary at the resort fitness center.

I was trying to salvage a pathetic summer of training for a marathon when my wife and I took the kiddos to Disney world during last week of August. My observations w.r.t. training were

1) Holy hell it was hot, even at 6:00 in the morning. Being from Houston you are probably more acclimated than I was, but wow once the sun was up there was no way I was going to try to do anything more than a brisk walk
2) Way to many opportunities to eat way to much food during the day especially at lunch and dinner, which makes running in the evening tough
3) A day in the park takes it out of you which makes getting out of bed to run in the morning tough

Clearly it is possible to make the "correct" choices to enable some training, but in my case I just wrote off the week and enjoyed sleeping in, eating way to much, and hanging out with the family.

One other note, a couple days into the trip I started waking around the parks in my Hokas, rather than my Tevas My legs were extremely happy with that choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get some open water swims in at Lake Cane. It's a short drive up i4. www.luckyslakeswim.com
Weekdays at 6:30 and Saturdays at 7:45.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy26: Oct 18, 13 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: Disneyworld 2 weeks before first IM? [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Lucky's lake swim twice last week and it was great. Both days I did 2 trips across and back. The weekday swim was a little spooky since it's pitch black at 6:30am in October but once I got going it wasn't a big deal.

You will definitely be wiped out after even 1 day walking and standing in the sun at Disney. Especially if you try to get there in the morning and stay through the parade/fireworks. I was planning to do just some light running in addition to the swims and take a recovery week. After I got home I didn't feel rested or recovered at all!!
Quote Reply
Re: Disneyworld 2 weeks before first IM? [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 4th of July Midnight swim is even creepier. ;) haha

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
easy - do it, no problem. When I did my first and only IM (IMWI 2009), we went first week or so of June, so actually was in the middle of some peak workout time. I bagged the bike all together and just ran almost every day + swam most days.

I simply got up very early (usually still dark), ran the roads, paths, etc.

FYI - I stayed at the Dolphin (paired up with the Swan) - they have two outdoor lap pools - which made everything easy for swimming.

Enjoy
Quote Reply
Re: Disneyworld 2 weeks before first IM? [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're at all serious about your IM, vacation after or well before. Otherwise, you will be stressing about the workouts you're not getting in and will not enjoy the vacation.
Quote Reply
Re: Disneyworld 2 weeks before first IM? [dano-oly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People on here are so "crazy" focused! If you don't do tri's for a living, that means you do them for fun.

Have fun with your family, missing training isn't a big deal.

An Ironman is a great thing, but it's just like any other race... It comes and goes. The less that an "ironman" impacts you & your family, the more likely they'll support your endeavors in the future when you want to do another one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not training for an IM but just got back from an 8 day DW trip with my family. It was so much fun (I have three kids). I am the type of person that always has to run and bike a few times a week just for personal sanity. I managed two runs one three and one four miler. We were on our feet from 7am until very late each night and walked countless miles at it was 85 everyday. It's a workout. I would say just fit in a couple easy runs and if your hotel had a stationary bike get up ery and do an easy spin. You won't gain Or lose fitness in this time.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diseylad fuck yeah!!

And it's only a tri event not life or death...

And heaps of relaxation time before the IM.

Do both, don't stress the IM, 2 weeks out you've got all the fitness you are gonna get, just keep fresh, relaxed and flexible ...

Have a ball mate.. And good luck with the IM...

Ps I live on the Gold Coast 10 mins from movie world, dreamworld, wet n wild and sea world.... So. Can sympathise re the them park stress...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw your post from a while back...I am about ten weeks out from Challenge Atlantic City and will be in Disney the same time as you. I am trying to find the best swimming option as well as running and biking. I am staying at the Bay Towers (near Contemporary) and believe there is a gym right there that has some stationary bikes that I can use for my rides. As for the runs, still trying to find some routes that are within the park.

Let me know if you have found any additional solutions to fit in your training. Cheers!

Jamie
Quote Reply
Post deleted by woof [ In reply to ]
Re: Disneyworld 2 weeks before first IM? [jwadtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwadtri wrote:
I saw your post from a while back...I am about ten weeks out from Challenge Atlantic City and will be in Disney the same time as you. I am trying to find the best swimming option as well as running and biking. I am staying at the Bay Towers (near Contemporary) and believe there is a gym right there that has some stationary bikes that I can use for my rides. As for the runs, still trying to find some routes that are within the park.

Let me know if you have found any additional solutions to fit in your training. Cheers!

Take the boat over to Fort Wilderness Campground and run around the campground area. you can make a lot of loops there and over to the Wilderness Lodge and back. Nowhere to really run directly from Bay Lake Towers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next