Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Discounted Newtons
Quote | Reply
I get the daily updates on new sale items from Active GearUp. Today, they list a few Newton models ranging from $45 to $85 (men's and women's), before shipping. I'm not connected with Active GearUp, but have purchased from them in the past and have been satisfied. Many have complained (correctly) about the price and lack of availability of Newtons, so this might be useful to some,
https://gearup.active.com/...yBars-Zuala&jb=n

If you're not registered with Active GearUp, I can refer you and we each get a $10 credit. PM me.
Quote Reply
Re: Discounted Newtons [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
I get the daily updates on new sale items from Active GearUp. Today, they list a few Newton models ranging from $45 to $85 (men's and women's), before shipping. I'm not connected with Active GearUp, but have purchased from them in the past and have been satisfied. Many have complained (correctly) about the price and lack of availability of Newtons, so this might be useful to some,
https://gearup.active.com/...yBars-Zuala&jb=n

If you're not registered with Active GearUp, I can refer you and we each get a $10 credit. PM me.

But Active is the worst. If Dan did a poll, "which triathlon related company do you hate the most" I am sure Active would be at the top. Just because I was curious to see what they are doing with the site and whether you could actually purchase without being a the $70 member I decided to go thru the rabbit hole. The whole registration process itself is a scam for me today. 20 minutes wasted just trying to register an account but for whatever reason there are numerous different issues. Of course the first screen is an "enter your email" and submit before you get to more fields and errors. This annoys me to know end, now they have my email but I can't complete registration and I can't even see prices.

If people really want to save I highly suggest setting up *saved searches* on eBay. If you learn how to do it properly it can be very powerful and you don't waste time clicking on email newsletters highlighting 70% only to realize that it is for size 6 and your size is NLA. You get emails for exactly your search parameters and nothing else. Given that many smaller shoppers liquidate inventory on eBay and Amazon you can find very good deals and because it has many sellers competing against each other you get great prices. For instance, no membership fees and new Newtons from 28.99 with Free Shipping on eBay.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Discounted Newtons [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have mixed thoughts on Active. I remember signing up for a race through Active the first time; it was a bitch. Hated the extended process, and having to navigate through the "traps" (Magazine subscriptions, Advantage membership offer). Since then, it's been mostly fine. I think the service fees they take are a little on the high side. On the other hand, their emails recently helped me find two different events that I probably wouldn't have known about and entered, otherwise, so they are adding value to the system on both ends (competitor and organizer).

Followed the link in the OP, it went straight to the available product. With a couple clicks, I was able to order a set of Fate II's for $73 shipped. Advantage membership would have saved another 15%, or ~$10. I didn't previously know about the GearUp side of Active. Briefly browsed around, saw some good deals. I'm not fully convinced, yet, because I only do a handful of events each season, but I'm starting to consider whether an Advantage membership might actually be worth the annual fee.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jun 21, 17 9:09
Quote Reply
Re: Discounted Newtons [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
I have mixed thoughts on Active. I remember signing up for a race through Active the first time; it was a bitch. Hated the extended process, and having to navigate through the "traps" (Magazine subscriptions, Advantage membership offer). Since then, it's been mostly fine. I think the service fees they take are a little on the high side. On the other hand, their emails recently helped me find two different events that I probably wouldn't have known about and entered, otherwise, so they are adding value to the system on both ends (competitor and organizer).

Followed the link in the OP, it went straight to the available product. With a couple clicks, I was able to order a set of Fate II's for $73 shipped. Advantage membership would have saved another 15%, or ~$10. I didn't previously know about the GearUp side of Active. Briefly browsed around, saw some good deals. I'm not fully convinced, yet, because I only do a handful of events each season, but I'm starting to consider whether an Advantage membership might actually be worth the annual fee.

I think it is showing you the prices because you have a GearUp account and are logged in.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree... picked up my last couple of Newtons on E-bay for $30-$50/pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas...Yup, the troubles with Active wrt event registration are well known. Active GearUp is affiliated with Active 'event registration' (I guess, just based on the logo/branding). BUT...you don't need to be a Active member to buy (although, as pointed out, membership provides a discount). The prices listed and linked from the URL in my original post are for *non-members* of Active, as an earlier poster discovered. Now, if you want to argue that purchases at Active GearUp support Active (the event registration company) and that's something you are opposed to, sure, feel free to skip this. But, if you want a pair of Newtons at a discount...

FWIW, I've purchased a number of items from AGU. Shipping costs can be problematic, especially for low value items (I think that the minimum shipping is $5 or $6). But if you're interested in things that are, say $50+, there can be deals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a
giorgitd wrote:
Thomas...Yup, the troubles with Active wrt event registration are well known. Active GearUp is affiliated with Active 'event registration' (I guess, just based on the logo/branding). BUT...you don't need to be a Active member to buy (although, as pointed out, membership provides a discount). The prices listed and linked from the URL in my original post are for *non-members* of Active, as an earlier poster discovered. Now, if you want to argue that purchases at Active GearUp support Active (the event registration company) and that's something you are opposed to, sure, feel free to skip this. But, if you want a pair of Newtons at a discount...

FWIW, I've purchased a number of items from AGU. Shipping costs can be problematic, especially for low value items (I think that the minimum shipping is $5 or $6). But if you're interested in things that are, say $50+, there can be deals.

What I am saying is that it is not a good experience, it is confusing, lacks transparency etc. Here is a screenshot if you are not logged into Active GearUp - they won't show you the prices. They make you provide an email, register (which was flawed for me), to even see the prices.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah! Huh, I guess that, since I subscribe to the daily email (and have purchased before, so have an account), I see the prices (since my browser logs me in automatically). I suppose that if you don't have an Active (event registration) or Active GearUp account, they want your email to show prices? Stinky, if true. Is the screen shot what you see when you click the link in the OP?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
Ah! Huh, I guess that, since I subscribe to the daily email (and have purchased before, so have an account), I see the prices (since my browser logs me in automatically). I suppose that if you don't have an Active (event registration) or Active GearUp account, they want your email to show prices? Stinky, if true. Is the screen shot what you see when you click the link in the OP?

No for some reason your specific link, likely some parameters in the url, provides a different experience and I get to see prices which is partially why I thought it was so confusing. You can see for yourself the lack of prices by starting a private anonymous sessions and then going to Active GearUp and clicking on the Newton sale. When you click on the "learn why" it takes you to another screen that doesn't actually tell you anything about why they won't show prices which just adds to the frustration. To me at that point it seemed like a honeypot for emails. They could really do a better job of keeping it simple, avoiding the gimmicks etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For anyone who doesn't want to deal with Active, their site is just a rebranded version of Left Lane Sports - here's the same Newton sale there:

https://www.leftlanesports.com/...200000000&et=lls

As mentioned by the OP, if you want an additional $10 credit on the LLS prices just PM me and I can refer you.
Quote Reply