Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc wheel valve cutouts - should they be covered?
Quote | Reply
In other words, is there anything to be gained from covering these cutouts on a FLO Disc? I could not find any references, but I was wondering why the wheelbuilder ships their aerojackets with those stickers...

Thanks ST!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Sep 18, 14 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel valve cutouts - should they be covered? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of discussion on this, but it's not going to hurt to cover the hole. Most people suggest gaffers tape because it doesn't leave residue.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel valve cutouts - should they be covered? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never bothered (disc cover). Maybe I should, incremental benefits and all
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel valve cutouts - should they be covered? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At Master's Nationals this year I know 2 people who lost a podium position by .01 and .04 seconds. Doing some rough calculations I figure the difference of 0.01 seconds is about 3 one thousands of a watt. Both finished 4th rather than 3rd. I would feel pretty bummed to think I lost out because I didn't take the extra 30 seconds to cover the valve hole with a piece of tape.

This probably is less of a concern in Tri because you finish with the run and you can see everyone who started in your swim wave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure the benefits are small but covering them is really easy to do. Why not?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel valve cutouts - should they be covered? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
At Master's Nationals this year I know 2 people who lost a podium position by .01 and .04 seconds. Doing some rough calculations I figure the difference of 0.01 seconds is about 3 one thousands of a watt. Both finished 4th rather than 3rd. I would feel pretty bummed to think I lost out because I didn't take the extra 30 seconds to cover the valve hole with a piece of tape.

This probably is less of a concern in Tri because you finish with the run and you can see everyone who started in your swim wave.

If I were doing a pure TT I would do everything I could. Not sure why a tri is different, maybe because I may come off the bike near the front of the pack but with my run I've no shot at a podium, so the minor issues are less of a concern.

I had a race last year where a guy next to me had a disc cover, and commented that I didn't cover the valve hole. His bike was still gone (my wave) when I got to T2. I've never "lost" a tri on the bike, that always happens on the run :)
Quote Reply