Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just took the head completely off my pump and jam the hose directly over the presta valve. Super flexible - can fit into the smallest of spaces (disc wheel) and super cheap! It will occasionally pop off if I don't get it on good enough, but way better than trying to hold an adapter on the valve while pumping IMO...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Few of my teammates bought some portable/handheld air compressors and have the standard silca disc adapter on it. The air compressors were on sale and whole set up was less than $100. Makes pumping a lot easier when you can have one hand on the trigger and one hand holding the adapter.

Eventually I'll be going with the same set-up but for now I usually just bum off my teammates instead of using my pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused on why anyone would pay over $100 for the Silca disc adapter when you can get a Lezyne CNC floor drive pump for $99 and have no need for a disc adapter. The ABS2 chuck fits on a disc without an adapter. No holding required.

http://www.lezyne.com/...cY9.php#.WTqlzes8KK0
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
I'm confused on why anyone would pay over $100 for the Silca disc adapter when you can get a Lezyne CNC floor drive pump for $99 and have no need for a disc adapter. The ABS2 chuck fits on a disc without an adapter. No holding required.

My personal experience with those types of adapters/chucks, is that they don't always reliably stay on, and you end up having to use your hand to hold it.
And as well, I've had bad experience with Lezyne floor drive pump. It would not properly compress the air. Lezyne sent new seals (the pump was 2 months old at this point...), but it did almost nothing to help, my LBS couldn't get it to work properly either.

The Silca Hiro 2 just works, always. IMHO if you use a disc wheel, this is one of those things to accept as a one time expense.
I currently use mine on the end of a cheap (MEC) floor pump. If I ever decide to treat myself, I'll buy a Silca Super Pista pump. :)

EDIT - sorry, I see that ABS2 chuck threads on, so obviously you won't need to hold it. But again, I had a less than stellar experience with their pump in general...
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Jun 9, 17 7:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:

That's what i thought and consequently bought ABS2 pump. Doesn't work for me. Too much trouble getting it lock properly.

I am happily using the Hiro with Vittoria latex tubes and super-9. On the other hand, Vredenstein and Michelin tubes work less well for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess everybody has different experiences. I just know for me and my disc I am able to use a $100 pump without a $110 adapter and it works flawlessly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a direct response to you Triguy86, just adding my .02 to the thread.

I have always struggled with the Zipp valve adapter that came with my disc, maybe I'm an idiot, which is highly likely. After reading this thread I decided to splurge on myself and bought the Silca Hiro 2. Holy air pressure Batman! Easy on, stays on without the need for a second hand to keep it in place, or trying to wedge my fat fingers in the cutout to try and tighten it more.

The Silca Hiro 2 is the greatest invention since the bicycle. Yeah, it's big and heavy, but a very fair trade for the comfort of knowing "when" I flat with the disc during a race, I'll have no problems whatsoever inflating a new tube.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a "V2"? How long has the Hiro v2 been out? Because I had a Hiro from a while back and could not make it work. I'm guessing hoping was a V1 and they've improved it...?

I'm getting really tired of using one hand to hold my adapter down and the other (plus my body weight) to pump up the tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No clue how long the V2 has been out. I got mine earlier this week. First thing I did when I got home was try it out. A few pumps later I was done, best investment I've made in a while. Using the original adapter it would take minutes (5-6?)

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
No clue how long the V2 has been out. I got mine earlier this week. First thing I did when I got home was try it out. A few pumps later I was done, best investment I've made in a while. Using the original adapter it would take minutes (5-6?)

Does it allow you to disable the gasket?

I've got a topeak D2 smartgauge for reading & trimming pressure, pre-disk I'd use it to trim the PSI in front & back but with my current pipe I can't read (or trim) the pressure..
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not quite sure what you mean by "disable the gasket", the lever near as I can tell engages/disengages the gasket, which I would assume would allow you bleed off a little pressure.

Just don't try it in transition on anybodies' bike except your own ;-)

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean by "disable the gasket", the lever near as I can tell engages/disengages the gasket, which I would assume would allow you bleed off a little pressure.

Thanks, so if you open the leaver air is dumped out the pump-attachment end without restriction? ie. same as pushing on the end of the unscrewed valve with your fingers?

That would certainly do the trick.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
mck414 wrote:

Thanks, so if you open the leaver air is dumped out the pump-attachment end without restriction? ie. same as pushing on the end of the unscrewed valve with your fingers?

That would certainly do the trick.

I'd have to double check. My pump has a pressure relief button, which I used out of habit. Come to think about it ,it seemed to only relive the pressure form the hose. So, no, it likely wouldn't allow you bleed off a little.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
The Silca Hiro 2 is the greatest invention since the bicycle.
Just adding to this thread. The Silca Hiro is the last pump head you will ever buy. Sadly, it is my third head since jumping to a disc rear wheel. Everything sucks. The generic crack pipe-- needs to be held in place and it still leaks. The Topeak screw on. It is nice, but the pipe diameter is too small to be secure in my regular pump head. The Hiro is the shizzle. It works perfectly and easily. No fuss.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
mck414 wrote:

Just adding to this thread. The Silca Hiro is the last pump head you will ever buy. Sadly, it is my third head since jumping to a disc rear wheel. Everything sucks. The generic crack pipe-- needs to be held in place and it still leaks. The Topeak screw on. It is nice, but the pipe diameter is too small to be secure in my regular pump head. The Hiro is the shizzle. It works perfectly and easily. No fuss.

I thought the Hiro was awful - basically gave mine away in the classifieds. It's big. It's heavy. It's finicky. But not to hate on Silca, I think the regular Silca crack pipe is fantastic.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ErickBar wrote:
How hard is it to get a decent air chuck adapter for a disc? Can someone point my in right direction here? Tired of wasting $.
Thank you!

X4 - Silco Hiro is the best one out there but it is pricey.

you know, i bought one of these because everyone here loves them. and it works poorly with my zipp disc, it's just too big.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
mck414 wrote:

I thought the Hiro was awful - basically gave mine away in the classifieds. It's big. It's heavy. It's finicky. But not to hate on Silca, I think the regular Silca crack pipe is fantastic.

I need someone to hold it on for my Zipp 900. Although I've just cut up a wine cork to the right size, I wedge that in and that works pretty well. Could also use something like an eraser too.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I saw your comments earlier. The Zipp wheels seem like the special outlier that are incompatible with anything other than a traditional crack pipe.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The HIRO works well with Zipp discs as long as the valve length is 36-42mm
Tube valves have grown in length over the years and the hole in the disc hasn't changed. Things are similarly tight on older Lightweight discs. This is why we made our new latex tubes with 42mm valve stems.
These images are a HIRO in Super9 carbon clincher with 42mm valve stem. You can see that there is just enough room to get the chuck in and out..but if the valve gets shorter than 36mm, the chuck begins to get into the foam and cannot grab onto enough valve to hold itself in place.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ErickBar wrote:
How hard is it to get a decent air chuck adapter for a disc? Can someone point my in right direction here? Tired of wasting $.
Thank you!

X4 - Silco Hiro is the best one out there but it is pricey.

you know, i bought one of these because everyone here loves them. and it works poorly with my zipp disc, it's just too big.

Good feedback. It has been a while since I have used a Zipp Disc (not and issue with the HED JET+ I have been using) and I could see how that could give some problems give the length of valve stem chosen.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this isn't the original topic, this is about adapters, but are there any mini-pumps I can take with me during the race that work on a super 9 disc? Or am I stuck with Co2 plus xlab nano inflators?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one of these... Works just fine. $40

https://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-pump-head/

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had good luck using a Flizer Mini Pump with a Renn 555 (IIRC the valve cutout on the renn is a little longer). I has a much smaller head with a locking mechanism and a guage.

https://www.mec.ca/...ump-w-pressure-gauge

I see bontrager sells something similar (small head...) might be worth a visit to a trek shop to see if it could work

https://www.trekbikes.com/...668/?colorCode=black

Serfas MP-04G pump head looks promising to. May be the smallest pump head of them all.
https://www.serfas.com/...-floor-pump-w-gauge/

Ben6 wrote:
I know this isn't the original topic, this is about adapters, but are there any mini-pumps I can take with me during the race that work on a super 9 disc? Or am I stuck with Co2 plus xlab nano inflators?
Last edited by: beston: Mar 13, 18 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A cheap small crack pipe with 3 dollars worth of Velcro making a tight and complete loop around the crack pipe and outer tire works flawlessly. Loop the Velcro under the crack pipe, through the disc wheel hole and around the tire. As you pump the tire up, the loop gets tighter with the expanding tire and applies more pressure on the crack pipe head. I just keep the Velcro stored around the pump barrel for future uses. Buying these $40 plus dollar options seems silly, as they are probably still not as effective as my failsafe option.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc adapter that isn't a miserable POS [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next