Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc Wheel setup - Rim Brake
Quote | Reply
First time poster, looking for some help with a disc wheel set up. I’ve searched around the forum and read countless threads, but ultimately can’t make a decision. Hoping somebody can show me the light!

Looking to buy my first real set of race wheels to include a rear disc (rim break). Trying to stay under $2000 total all in. From what I’ve seen I think I’ve narrowed it down to three options.

1: Premier bikes, disc wheel, set up with an 88mm front
2: Elite wheels TT bundle with an 82mm front
3: Parcours disc set with a 77mm front

Way too much info about me that may help and making the right decision. I’m your average age grouper (45 y/o) that is spending way too much money for marginal gains but at least I’m not drinking and gambling it away. I’m approximately 135lbs riding a 2021 BMC Timemachine. My FTP is probable like 3.7 w/kg. I’m doing the Chattanooga Ironman full this September. I’ve done multiple sprint, olympic, and half iron distance races but this is my first full Ironman race.

Which of the sets mentioned above, or ones that I do not have listed would be the best option?

Thanks for the time and suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel setup - Rim Brake [Shane.C-78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a set of Premier wheels last year for racing and I am thrilled with them. I run the disc and 88mm front with rim brakes on my trinity. Price point is good and Dan at Premier is great to communicate with if you have any questions. Oh and you should get a light weight QR skewer and brake pads for the wheels.

Todd Suttor

Working Triathlete Elite Development Team
Professional Triathlete
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel setup - Rim Brake [toddsuttortri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I’ve also heard nothing but good things on the Premier wheels and Dan. Thanks for the tip on the skewers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to go wrong with the Premier wheels. I just snagged a disc from Dan as I needed a rim brake disc with an XDR hub which he was able to accommodate. Plus the 26mm width is probably the sweet spot for rim brake frames.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel setup - Rim Brake [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks and sweet ride! 26s would be great, I was planning on 25s. Not sure on the tire selection yet, so many options and data. Normally run GP5000s, but hear the GP5000TT is way faster. Not sure if it really matters much at my level?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@135lbs you may want a shallower front wheel! Something around 60mm would probably be a better all rounder.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel setup - Rim Brake [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s fair and makes sense. Watt savings and aero gains don’t mean much if you’re blown all over the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the rear disc, consider finding a used one on eBay or ST Classifieds. Discs are race-only wheels, so they typically have low mileage. Add to that the folks who have upgraded to disc brake frames and now have a rim brake disc collecting dust and you can probably score a great deal....leaving $$$ to get the front wheel of your choice.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A FLO Disc and 64 AS front would also get you in under $2000, about $1600 with the current 15% discount...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply