Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disabling auto-zero on SRM paired with Garmin 800
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to permanently disable auto-zeroing on a wireless SRM or is the auto-zero function built-in to the head unit?

I picked up a new SRM this year and noticed it reading a little higher than my Powertap. I want to adjust the slope of the SRM to match the Powertap so I've been riding with both for the past week. Unfortunately, the meters are not reading consistently. Sometimes they'll be within a percent or two, other times up to 10% off all during the same ride.

My suspicion is the auto-zero function on the SRM is causing at least part of the problem. I've noticed on 3 to 4 occasions where the zero value will be wildly off (800 vs normal 500). I can detect when this happens fairly easily as the power will be off by 50-100W but it leads me to believe the auto-zero algorithm is suspect and I'd prefer to disable it completely.

I understand this is feasible with an 810 but was wondering if it's possible to disable the function in the SRM itself and then continue using my 800 or if I need a different head unit (810 or SRM VII)?
Quote Reply
Re: Disabling auto-zero on SRM paired with Garmin 800 [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in a similar situation, I think.

You need a Power Control I believe in order to disable the auto zero setting.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a lot of discussion about this on the wattage group. I don't know the details but it's easy to find the threads.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Disabling auto-zero on SRM paired with Garmin 800 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
There is a lot of discussion about this on the wattage group. I don't know the details but it's easy to find the threads.

jaretj
Thanks. Looks like the auto-zero function is implemented in the head unit and Garmin doesn't support disabling in the 800. Hopefully the 520 I ordered will allow it to be disabled as the newer models 510, 810 etc can disable auto-zero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, ok. That would make sense. Care to share a link as that might not be the cause of my issues (everything used to work fine).

I've got other head units to try to see if it is a Garmin 'feature'.

Quote Reply
Re: Disabling auto-zero on SRM paired with Garmin 800 [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
Oh, ok. That would make sense. Care to share a link as that might not be the cause of my issues (everything used to work fine).

I've got other head units to try to see if it is a Garmin 'feature'.
Here's a link to some posts in the wattage forum: https://groups.google.com/...P-8rme8/V5i2GbpPtccJ

If that doesn't work you may need to sign in to the wattage forum (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/wattage) and search for "garmin 800 auto zero SRM" and you'll find lots of discussions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks

Quote Reply