Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Diet and Training Literature for 70.3
Quote | Reply
I'm a big guy, 6'3 197lbs, with a half a dozen sprints and Oly's under my belt over a course of a 2 years.

Im signed up for 70.3 FL in 6 months and I need your help. I know this is a big jump and I know I don't know it all.

Do you have any book recommendations for diet and training plan? Any other tips for the next 6 months?

I'd like to lose another 10-12 lbs, but I also want to make sure I have enough fuel for my workouts.

Thanks for dropping some knowledge on a newbie.

If you'd like me to elaborate on equipment, current training, diet, etc. just let me know. I'll tell you more; I just wanted to be brief in this space.
Quote Reply
Re: Diet and Training Literature for 70.3 [clydesdale21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lose another 20!
I was exactly your size when I started, got down to 175, could go lower if I had discipline.

There are no secrets, just eat a little less, you might be down on energy while you are losing weight but once you get there things will be ok.

As for the training, again there isn't inherently anything different about how you train for an oly vs a half. How many hours a week are you training now?

How often do you do ~50 mile bike rides or ~12 mile runs?
How comfy are you swimming the 1.2 miles?

At a minimum you want to get to a point where a standalone 50 mile ride with *no* stops is not a big deal, and a 12 mile standalone run is no big deal.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Diet and Training Literature for 70.3 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reply, Jack.

Did you cut a lot of carbs? Or did you have a 30/30/40 ratio? Did you follow a training plan?

To answer your questions -- Training 7-8 hrs a week now. That does not include 2x 45 min weight sessions. No 50 mile rides under my belt. A couple 35-40's. Long run to date is 11 miles. Swim is no big deal, I put in 7000 yds last week. I love to swim.The weight penalty for a big guy is not as severe in the swim as it is for run and bike.
Quote Reply