Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies
Quote | Reply
https://defector.com/...to-exposing-her-lies

The trailer for the Netflix movie led me to this article. Seems like an awful lot of lying is going on.

Moderator, if this should be in the Lavender Room, just let me know and I'll repost.
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Off topic, but I love defector's business model. I have been a subscriber since day one. However, the article is paywalled and most wont be able to read it.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was an interesting read. She's certainly controversial. I will probably watch the movie when it releases on Netflix.
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [Jkgoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jkgoff wrote:
Off topic, but I love defector's business model. I have been a subscriber since day one. However, the article is paywalled and most wont be able to read it.

I had no problem reading it. I'm also not in the US, so maybe that's part of it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen that article and it paints a lifelong journey of lying and misdirecting by her. It is sad for me to see, as I once knew her in the old days when she was the first swim commentator for the very first Kona Ironman. But I have known many like her, who get trapped into fudging in the beginning, and it leads to outright lying and cheating if not stopped somewhere down the line. I think we had a tragic example of this with Frank Meza and his running exploits.

Unfortunately she has gotten a ton of mainstream publicity and it will be hard to nudge that needle. Perhaps the next Netflix special will be the complete undoing of her career now that they have made her a hero..Very famous triathlete comes to mind in this same area, cheating and lying their whole career, and hardly anyone knows or cares to know...
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Very famous triathlete comes to mind in this same area, cheating and lying their whole career, and hardly anyone knows or cares to know...

Lance Armstrong?
Kevin Moats?
Dmitry Gaag?
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
monty wrote:
Very famous triathlete comes to mind in this same area, cheating and lying their whole career, and hardly anyone knows or cares to know...

Lance Armstrong?
Kevin Moats?
Dmitry Gaag?

He said very famous and he didn’t say professional.
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
monty wrote:

Lance Armstrong?
Kevin Moats?
Dmitry Gaag?

I can think of one that used to post on this forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I have seen that article and it paints a lifelong journey of lying and misdirecting by her. It is sad for me to see, as I once knew her in the old days when she was the first swim commentator for the very first Kona Ironman. But I have known many like her, who get trapped into fudging in the beginning, and it leads to outright lying and cheating if not stopped somewhere down the line. I think we had a tragic example of this with Frank Meza and his running exploits.

Unfortunately she has gotten a ton of mainstream publicity and it will be hard to nudge that needle. Perhaps the next Netflix special will be the complete undoing of her career now that they have made her a hero..Very famous triathlete comes to mind in this same area, cheating and lying their whole career, and hardly anyone knows or cares to know...

I care to know. Who are you talking about Monty?

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fascinating read. Thanks for sharing.

She is 100% a con in every way. Starting with claiming she swam in an Olympic trials and finished 5th/6th (in different tellings of the lie) when she was never there at all... anyone who would lie about something like that has serious problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
kny wrote:
monty wrote:

Lance Armstrong?
Kevin Moats?
Dmitry Gaag?

Sister Madonna
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
kny wrote:
monty wrote:

Lance Armstrong?
Kevin Moats?
Dmitry Gaag?

Sister Madonna

Seriously???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, oh yeah. I recall the stories of Sister Madonna.
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Can you share or would that violate ST forum rules??? If you want, you could send me a PM. I'm very curious since she was put up on such a pedestal as a role model and saintly person.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the article!

I'd never heard of her, or the story, wow. I'd have been fooled by the film for sure.

Incredible story, thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

+1 to the other requests to say who this is! You can't leave us in suspense!
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Can you share or would that violate ST forum rules??? If you want, you could send me a PM. I'm very curious since she was put up on such a pedestal as a role model and saintly person.
https://triathloninspires.com/iron-nun-madonna-budder/
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...der_Update_P4548283/
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sister Madonna had many rumors over the years of various rule infractions or being "helped" to finish; she was a great PR story for Ironman. Nothing, as far as I'm aware, is substantiated with evidence.

But, speaking generally, if something seems too good to be true it frequently is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quibble with the claim of the first paragraph, "who at the time was the most famous female swimmer this country ever produced."

Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember that time. It was back when I viewed the Olympics with childhood romanticism and watched every event I could. And I don't think I knew who Nyad was, but I knew about Janet Evans and Dara Torres. Maybe I'm not representative of the mainstream U.S., though. I only learned who Nyad was much later, maybe on this forum.

Now I'm far more cynical and am barely aware of the Olympics when they're happening, except for a few events. :(
Last edited by: trail: Oct 20, 23 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a lot of stuff in years past before multiple timing mats, cameras everywhere and widespread use of GPS devices.

I only have a fuzzy memory of something that I saw over a decade ago. Did it happen? Was it a dream? The brain is a funny thing...
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
kny wrote:
monty wrote:

Lance Armstrong?
Kevin Moats?
Dmitry Gaag?

newbz?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
There's a lot of stuff in years past before multiple timing mats, cameras everywhere and widespread use of GPS devices.

I only have a fuzzy memory of something that I saw over a decade ago. Did it happen? Was it a dream? The brain is a funny thing...

(this is a joke)

I did a marathon with her 15 years ago. It was so inspiring to run past her those 3 or 4 times.
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
kny wrote:
monty wrote:

Lance Armstrong?
Kevin Moats?
Dmitry Gaag?

newbz?

Was newbz the flipper guy at IM Florida or the guy who cut swim courses and then stole his competitions shoes from T1 in order to further ensure victory?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was the guy that cut courses in Ohio races. I vaguely remember the shoe incident but can't remember who was to blame.

The flipper guy at IM Florida was Finman - Frank Cardia. That is one of the Slowtwitch classics :)
Quote Reply
Re: Diana Nyad’s Swimming Brought Her Glory, Fame, And An Adversary Dedicated To Exposing Her Lies [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
He was the guy that cut courses in Ohio races. I vaguely remember the shoe incident but can't remember who was to blame.

That was him, he was a local guy here in AZ. Young guy, I can't recall his name, with going pro aspirations although he wasn't that good.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply

Prev Next