Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Diamondback road bikes
Quote | Reply
I know this forum is way more knowledgeable about bikes than I am so I have a questions about diamondback road bikes. Specifically the Airen 1 (women's) and Century 1 (men's). These bikes come with HED wheels and shimano 105 groupset. I have seen them online and at the REI for anywhere from $750 to $850.
So my question is, why are they so cheap? What do I not know about these bikes? Seems like they have good components for that price since all the big brands come with Sora or even Claris groups in the same price range.

Unless y'all deter me, I might pick one up if I can find my size.
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback road bikes [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frame is probably really heavy, Im guessing no carbon fork, and all components besides the 105 (handlebar, stem, seatpost) are probably on the crappy side as well.

FWIW, you could probably piece together a new 105 groupset from ebay for 200 or 250. Idk about the hed wheels bUT just sayin. If you want to get a 105 equipped road bike for that price, if you get creative (buy frame and group separately, find good deals on other components) you could probably end up with a higher quality machine than the stock DB from REI.

But that's a personal choice. I've never ridden thr DB road bikes and I'm sure it'll do the job if you do wanna have the simplicity of getting it in one package instead of building up yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback road bikes [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took me spending $4000 on a bike to show me how much I loved my $700 dollar one. I ride and prefer the $700 dollar sora equipped all aluminum more than my ultegra carbon.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback road bikes [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. You're right about it being heavy and not having a carbon fork.

Is anyone familiar with the new Raleigh Grand Sport? Components are Claris but I love the classic style of the bike. Bike is chromoly steel though and also doesn't have a carbon fork.

I do have some bike shops in my area and could just as easy go down and get a trek, specialized, etc. but I'm just looking at all options. The bikes I'm asking about in this thread are bikes I don't see in person often. Looking for something to build up to long rides on but would mostly be 20 to 30 miles a few times a week.
Quote Reply