Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 help
Quote | Reply
Hi all

I own a canyon speedmax cf 8.0 di2.

No idea why but I noticed my left (gear) shifter was disconnected recently. When I connected it at the junction box it fried the cable and the junction box. There was smoke etc.

A bit perplexing but it's broken the JB. New one on order.

Its kept my in my hardest gear. Any chance I can somehow change gear still? Just for the trainer?

Could I for example disconnect a aerobike shifter and plug it directly into the rear derailleur? Would that work?

Any ideas/suggestions v welcome. Going to be a few weeks until parts arrive.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 help [zaskar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully it was the cable that was shorted and not the shifter itself that is damaged, otherwise you'll need a new shifter too?
It if fries again when you reconnect w new cable and JB, then you know you need to look a the shifter itself..

Can't you just order a new junction box with overnight shipping from a place they have them in stock?

If not, can you borrow the junction box from another Di2 bike you have?

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zaskar wrote:
Hi all

I own a canyon speedmax cf 8.0 di2.

No idea why but I noticed my left (gear) shifter was disconnected recently. When I connected it at the junction box it fried the cable and the junction box. There was smoke etc.

A bit perplexing but it's broken the JB. New one on order.

Its kept my in my hardest gear. Any chance I can somehow change gear still? Just for the trainer?

Could I for example disconnect a aerobike shifter and plug it directly into the rear derailleur? Would that work?

Any ideas/suggestions v welcome. Going to be a few weeks until parts arrive.

I’d suggest taking the time to check the reaming wiring. When you state left shifter is this a brifter or the extension shifter button? When you mention junction box is it a junction A (has charge port and control buttons) or a junction B (dumb junction) for connecting wiring?

I’ve had a lot of di2 experience going back to DA Gen 1 and I’ve never fried wires or components. Seems like this must be from a short of some sort. So, I’d check each e-tube wire before reconnecting the new parts.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 help [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

Shimano advised getting the sm-pce02 which is a great solution apart from its $250.

Unfortunately I live pretty remotely. Those appear to be the only options re shipment. The remoteness also means no-one else has di2 who can help.

"Refrying" is indeed a real concern! I don't see why it should be the shifter but hey, I don't know why the cable went either....
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 help [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Admittedly I only understand some of your below.

The shifter is the single duraace shifter thats on the bottom aerobars (can only make the gears easier). One button.

It connects into a 5 port junction box that sits in the bento box. That JB controls everything really. Its where you charge it etc too. i can see that one of the slots in there has been fried.

I think its the sm-ew90-B junction A box?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zaskar wrote:
Admittedly I only understand some of your below.

The shifter is the single duraace shifter thats on the bottom aerobars (can only make the gears easier). One button.

It connects into a 5 port junction box that sits in the bento box. That JB controls everything really. Its where you charge it etc too. i can see that one of the slots in there has been fried.

I think its the sm-ew90-B junction A box?

Ok. That is the brifter (brake/shifter). The fact that this e-tube wire pulled out of the junction box may indicate that this wire was pulled, stretched, pinched, etc. Did the e-tube wire you are replacing run directly from the brifter to the j-box? If the brifter has a pigtail with a female e-tube end this wire should be checked for damage.

Di2 requires a functional junction A to operate. So, I don’t think you have options for shifting the RD to an easier trainer gear before your replacements show. You can’t manually move DI2 derailleurs w/o causing damage.

Maybe Di2Terry will post with insights on the short damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 help [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

I suspect it was probably me accidentally removing it when I removed the junction box to charge it a few days earlier. Its the closest / and shorters cable so it probably snapped out.

I thought I'd just be putting it back on.... did not expect this. It did rain a bit during the ride and when bike was on back of truck but this was unexpected. Possibly water got in then.

What I'm keen to know, other than any possibility of changing gear now, is it its likely Ive damaged the battery or is it probably just the JB and brifter?
Quote Reply