Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 Help: internal battery causes RD-6870 to disconnect
Quote | Reply
I had a weird Di2 (Ultegra 11-speed, internal battery, TT setup) problem that I couldn't figure out for weeks. The FD works flawlessly. The RD worked perfectly for 1 ride, and then stopped working at home for some reasons. The ride was 2hr without rain, no crash, etc.

I connected this to the e-tube software through the BCR1 charger with brand-new wires. With elimination, I finally narrow down to this repeatable observation:
Connection check detects the RD if:
RD-6870ss -----EW90B 5-port junction (to PC)
Connection check does NOT detect the RD if I include the battery:
RD-6870ss -----EW90B 5-port junction (to PC) ---BTR2 internal battery

First I thought perhaps the RD being stuck in recovery mode when powered up. I bought a new one and it's still the same behavior. Then, I bought new cables and junction box, and it did help @#$!

Have anyone experienced similar behavior and how did you resolve it? I have IMLP coming up in 3 weeks, and I'm contemplating going back to mechanical shifting for now.
Or.. buy another battery an continue this $$$ adventure.... Thanks.

More details:
If I press the junction box button, the adjustment (RED) LED wouldn't light up (It worked before), I later learn that this is the case if the junction box doesn't detect the RD. The battery, junction box and shifters look to be working, since when I press any shifter buttons, the junction box gives solid green (the other LED) for the battery level. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery, the junction box adjustment (RED) LED may light up for a few minutes and then ease working. Even if it light up, button presses didn't move the RD.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Help: internal battery causes RD-6870 to disconnect [yultrir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the firmware on everything updated? I've seen weirdness with the internal battery if the RD and battery firmware were at odds.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Help: internal battery causes RD-6870 to disconnect [RyuTan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, all parts have the latest firmware, updated via e-tube, and all plugs were snapped in properly.

I read from some Di2 troubleshooting posts that there have been cases of bad ext battery holders, but I think this circuitry is moved to the front junction with the internal battery. I have 2 EW90B so probably not both are bad in the same way.
Quote Reply