Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Deuce's Wild Roll Call...
Quote | Reply
Thought I would check and see who's going out to Show Low AZ for the June 2nd or 3rd races?

http://www.trisportsracing.com

I'm signed up for the Half and will be making the drive out from Missouri, wish the price of gas would come down a little... Planning on getting out there on Wednesday before the race and camping on site.

Anyone on here do the half last year? Any words of advice? I'm a little worried and am not sure what to expect with the 6,000+ feet in elevation. I know I probably shouldn't expect a PR, but I'm always optimistic and go into events thinking I'm going to tear it up!

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Quote Reply
Re: Deuce's Wild Roll Call... [tonythetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-Racer is doing the Olympic distance race and I'll be racing the Xterra. It'll be our first time racing there and we're driving down from Colorado on Thursday. Should be a lot of fun.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the half. Driving up from Tempe. First timer for this race also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the Olympic...and know at least 2 who did the 1/2 last year...

Weather varies..hot one year ..cold the next...hope it stays cool because the afternoon sun bakes on ya a bit (even though the temp isnt all that bad) - it can be windy...

Biggest issue -- ALTITUDE! - I can tell ya that you might be strugglin for air a bit more than planned on the swim...and that wears on ya as the days goes on...

All that said - this is a great race put on by really nice people (GREAT VOLUNTEERS) in a nice community --

Good luck and HAVE FUN!
-Ron

I have deceptive speed...I'm slower than I look.
Quote Reply
Re: Deuce's Wild Roll Call... [Ron in AZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the xterra Last year.

Great event, amazingly well ran.

I'm not signed up this year yet, but am currently debating a last minute into one of the 3 events. Cant decide which though.

I dont know if I want to do a 1/2 at 6000'
It's a long way to drive for an olympic.
I haven't ridden my Mtn bike since the race last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not racing.........again!........but I lived in Show Low for about 20 years and was part of the team that put the first race together. The 1/2 bike is actually one of my favorite routes from when I lived there.

My best advice........and that of Jimmy Riccitello........is to be very careful of going out too hard in the swim. It is very easy to get into trouble there and it is very hard to get things back together after an oxygen debt producing swim.

The bike course has some hills........including a big'un at about mile 46 or so. I recommend focusing on keeping your effort level relatively stable and not getting sucked into pushing things on the climbs.........it tends to be harder to recover at altitude.

Not real familiar with the exact run course, but it is probably a bit rolly.......pretty much everything around there is. And, at that altitude, there is less protection from the sun, so while it might not be technically hot, the sun can, and will, suck the life outta ya. Don't forget sunscreen!!!

TriSports does an amazing job with this race...........the racer's have been their #1 concern from the get-go...........and the raffle is unparalleled.

Watch out for skeeters at the lake...........some good bug repellent will be needed.........and have a great stay in my old home town!! :-)

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Re: Deuce's Wild Roll Call... [Shane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how technical is the mtn bike course of the Xterra? thinking of coming up last minute
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be doing the half. Did it last year also. The altitude sucks! Will probably be staying in one of the campgrounds.

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com