Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Desoto First Wave Wetsuit
Quote | Reply
I did not put it in my race report but for IMAZ I picked up a T-1 first wave and because of the weather here in the Pacific NW I only got in a few pool swims in the suit. My first impressions were that it was damn fast, and very comfortable. When I got down to AZ I did my first long open water swim in the suit and after 1/4 mile the top started to ride up on me to the point that the bottom of the top was just at my chest, there was a ton of material around my neck, I had to keep stopping and pull the top down to be able the swim. After I got out I called Desoto and then were great about helping to solve the problem. The Next day shipped a smaller top, but they shipped it to my home not to AZ so the next day when I checked the tracking info and saw that it was at my house, I called up, they were once again GREAT, they lined up a store down in Tucson that could get me the top, so after a short ride down to Tucson, about an hour from where we were staying I had the new top, but the next day the same thing happened. I know that the top was plenty tight with the smaller top. It must just be a body type issue?? Anyone have an issue like this?
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto First Wave Wetsuit [Clark H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing happens to me. When I called they told me most likely I wasn't putting it on right. They told me to make sure your palm faces out when putting your arms in so the seam lines up with your palm. I've done this and the same thing happens it just rides up.

For an olympic distance it is fine but anything longer I have to stop to pull it down.

If you figure anything out let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto First Wave Wetsuit [Spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Great!

I just spent way more than I planned on for a new wetsuit (1st Wave). Then I read the thread on $200 suits being as good as $500 suits - and now this that it rides up...It hasn't even shipped yet, and I'm stressed out!

I'll post my impression of it as soon as I give it a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto First Wave Wetsuit [immyfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off dont stress, I know a bunch of people and coach a few that love the suit. It may work great for you. Also the folks at Desoto were great with me doing everything they could to make it work and when it would not they said just send it back no questions. Great Customer service! Good luck with the new suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never had a prob with my First Wave and I have a total dork-body.

Speak with the people at DeSDoto. Emilio has a 100% guarantee and I can vouch that they honor that. I have known Emilio 20 years now and he has never welched on anything!!!

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eventhough it rides up sometimes it doesn't ride up all the time. So it must be the way I put it on. When it does ride up I have no problem swimming. Its a great suit. So dont worry. Try it out If you dont like it send it back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]

Okay, for all of you that are experiencing this riding up thing, I will wager that your pullover is too loose on you.

Get in touch with me if you have this issue and I will correct it one by one. Stop posting and email me though.

My email is below my name.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto First Wave Wetsuit [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy Crap!

How cool is ST? I posted a comment this afternoon, and tonight I log on to see the previous replies from several thoughtful and concerend ST'ers - and Emilio De Soto!

I am feeling the ST love!!! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the best things about Emilio and DeSoto products is you will be hard pressed ever finding better or more personable customer service anywhere period.

When I'm back in San Diego area I allways try to make a trip to his store and pick up some of the best products on the market!

When it comes to clothing and sports wear everyone is different. I've worn cycling shorts that I think are the comfiest fit ever where the person next to me on the ride wearing the same pair is in extreme discomfort.

Wet suites are even harder to fit, You realy do have to try them on and even that doesn't allways work until you have done a couple of mile out in the ocean.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
immyfish...I have had a t1 for two years and have had nothing but success with it. My times dropped ridiculously for the swim. I've never had it ride up though. Mine is super tight though. Sometimes I pick it up and let cold water in the bottom to keep cool before the swim start and it still hasn't ridden up. I would guess you would be quite satisfied with it. Emilio seems like a great guy. Next time I get to San Diego I am going to have him sign my wetsuit!

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recently purchased the 1st wave and had excellent results with this wetsuit at IMAZ. I was impressed with the fit and comfort of a two piece design. I had zero 'riding up' issues. Like any wetsuit, fit is essential for top performance.

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.”
Vince Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto First Wave Wetsuit [Danimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love you guys!

I can't wait to give it a test run!! Thanks for the feedback!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio,

I'm glad they did post... this exchange of posts iced my decision that a Desoto wetsuit is the right choice.

Thanx,

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had this problem.

Quote | Reply
I have the suit and I was told that the top needs to be tight to be effective. I have never had a problem with mine and love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto First Wave Wetsuit [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all those that have posted in favor of this issue. If any of you make it out to San Diego, get in touch with me before you travel out here. I will take you for one of the most amazing swims of your life along the shores and coastline of La Jolla.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first got my T1 I had this issue (though not to the same degree - I had maybe 6"of ride up). Subsequently I've had almost no issues with this (maybe 2" of creep on a rare occasion). If you're sure you have the right size, you probably aren't putting it on right.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio, I have a T1 which I love to the extent that I have two tops for it. CAn you tell me if there are plans to produce a zip less first wave top? I find the zip unnecessary for me and would like to be able to buy a first wave sans zip.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto First Wave Wetsuit [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No plans to go back to zipperless again, but there are other things in the works.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks to all those that have posted in favor of this issue. If any of you make it out to San Diego, get in touch with me before you travel out here. I will take you for one of the most amazing swims of your life along the shores and coastline of La Jolla. Damn!

I was out there last month for Business. I will keep it in mind next time. Thx!
Last edited by: immyfish: Apr 14, 06 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had mine ride up in the least bit.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Emilio, keep us posted please.

Julian

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio - First off, I want to say that I've never been more impressed by someone as you who directly gets involved with customer issues. This is one of the main reasons why I purchased the T1 First Wave wetsuit.

I received it on a Friday evening and was flying out of town "early" that next morning. I figured I would get it in the pool when I got back, but I couldn't wait. I was at my gym at 9:00 pm. Got some funny looks, but was too excited to "experience" the two-piece design. I had the typical "2nd guess'" coming from a one-piece mentality, but jumped in and did some laps. What a rush! I felt like I was flying in the water. The design of the suit had me in the perfect position. The flexibility and range of motion is amazing. To say the least, I was impressed.

When I got back into town I purchased the TI sleeveless vest and a pair of tri-shorts.

Chad at Collin's Cycle here in Eugene, OR has been a great source of information. He represents your product with great respect. Honestly, I was going to buy another brand wetsuit before I met him. He showed me his suit, which he happened to have at the shop and explained the philosophy behind it. He sold me on the suit, you sold me on the company. I am very loyal to my local shops and looking forward to learning and training with Chad. I am also very loyal to products that perform and I can honestly say that I will be purchasing your products for a long time.

The posts about the suit riding up did alarm me, but I trust the product and your company. I am confident that I made the right choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my T1 from Monty a couple of years ago and he fitted me with what felt like a very tight top. It really felt like this would be a problem - to be able to breathe easily while swimming. That's not the case, though, once it is wet. I think all the tension of dry rubber on dry rubber (top & bottom) make it feel snug. Water seems to lube it and evens the tensions out. I absolutely love the suit.

Putting it on can be a hassle. Luckily donning the suit is not part of the race. Removing it, for me, is about the same as my previous one piece suit. The last time I tested it for speed, I showed a 5 second gain per 100 yards. That may not seem like much, but faster swimmers (I posted a 56 minute IM swim) typically don't show the gain others may realize.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto First Wave Wetsuit [PKKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got off the phone with ClarkH, and we are going I am pretty sure he will be one happy T1 owner very very soon.

Bottom line is this. If you are in the correct size, this riding-up thing is a non-issue.

Thanks PKKC for the great review and thanks to the rest of you that have given your 2 cents on this issue.

Now I am trying to decide if I shoud respond to the $230 vs $500 wetsuit issue.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply

Prev Next