Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dell Computer / Ironman study
Quote | Reply
Found this linked in a Dell popup ad this morning.

http://www.dell.com/...s/ironman/index.html

Quote Reply
Re: Dell Computer / Ironman study [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty cool.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just bought a dell laptop today. lol

--------------------------------------------------------------
Tri-ing
Quote Reply
Re: Dell Computer / Ironman study [praks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope they make a laptop with the ironman logo on it so I can look totally awesome when I use it

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that how Susan Dell got her slot?
Quote Reply
Re: Dell Computer / Ironman study [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supposedly, Michael Dell actually purchased one of the e-bay slots for her and didn't use a sponsor slot. He even talked about the bidding process. I think there was an article in Triathlete or something about it.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool! Thanks for the link.

mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After the last couple of website/live feed catastrophes, can we really call this a "success story?" If you were Dell, would you want your product associated with the poorly handled launch of the new website and the unsuccessful attempts at live feeds? I've worked in IT for the last 10 years in large network and internet environments, it's almost laughable every time WTC try something new.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Dell Computer / Ironman study [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In today's paper I found an advertising insert for Dell. On this ad it says "Ironman wanted a technology partner that can keep up with them. (After all, the finish line is more than 100 miles from here.)" It also has numerous picture taken from an IM event. I'm just wondering why Dell would want to team up with the IM brand? Is the Ironman brand that well known? It seems odd to have this ad inserted into a daily newspaper (San Jose Mercury), and not a more targeted paper/magazine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more. "
Quote Reply
Re: Dell Computer / Ironman study [bafmco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a trend towards adventure sports in the silicon valley. Triathlon is one of the big ones...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/fashion/sundaystyles/04SILICON.html?ex=1291352400&en=eb30352c02a373fd&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss

The fact that the ad was in the San Jose Mercury doesn't seem very surprising.

Quote | Reply
It ran in all the area Knight Ridder papers. Did you notice all the people drafting? Must have been a hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never ever buy a Dell - and would rather die than buy a Dell server.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Dell Computer / Ironman study [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes.

Quote Reply
Re: Dell Computer / Ironman study [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I would never ever buy a Dell - and would rather die than buy a Dell server."

Why not?
Quote Reply
Re: Dell Computer / Ironman study [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work in the IT world and have patients who's lives depend on my servers. I honest have systems out there that if the systems are down people will die. HP servers only in my shops (and all of the local hospitals who have money for anything they want - they buy HP too). I could tell you all the reasons why but that is for the Lav Room.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quit being so wishy washy and form an opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, you trust a server with someone's life? Brave. Running HPUX I hope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Why not?

Because Dell is like Ford, Shimano, and Levis...products for the masses...and that automatically takes them off R10C's list...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Yes.
Actually, it's not. Michael bought it for her on eBay.
Quote Reply
Re: Dell Computer / Ironman study [cray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Yes.
Actually, it's not. Michael bought it for her on eBay.

LOL - even better.

Oh, and mostly (GHASP!) Microsoft Ent Svr 2003 Clustered to MSA1500cs w/ DL580's RAID 0+1 SQL

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R10C -

I could not agree with you more. In a 24x7 shop, Dell is not the server you want. Having worked in both Hospitals and Telecommunications, where down time is not allowed, my budget goes to Compaq/HP for anything Wintel. It's not that these NEVER go down, but supportability and recoverability help drive that decision.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Dell Computer / Ironman study [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It all depends on how you architect your 24/7 systems and how much horsepower you really need. I have found the Dell 2x00 series servers to be very reliable. Would be hard pressed to say that comparable HP's are better in any way. My company runs a 24/7 manufacturing facility, making drugs for cancer patients, apowered by Dell servers. Downtime isn't an option, it also isn't an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It all depends on how you architect your 24/7 systems and how much horsepower you really need. I have found the Dell 2x00 series servers to be very reliable. Would be hard pressed to say that comparable HP's are better in any way. My company runs a 24/7 manufacturing facility, making drugs for cancer patients, apowered by Dell servers. Downtime isn't an option, it also isn't an issue.
Service Service Service. Dell does not have a solution for SAN (rebranded EMC) with a common platform of disks, they dont have SMART arrays nor Insight Manager. HP has a proven lower cost of ownership on top of it all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The compaq/HP servers may be better(then Dell), but their laptops are the worlds biggest POS compared to Dell. Unfortunately, when you have a problem with any of them you get to speak with their technical support in India, France, or Indonesia..........of course since they hardly speak english (but make 50c/hr) they can claim ignorance about your problem.

-------------------------------------------------
Latest Duct tape QR Superfull fashion model
Quote Reply

Prev Next