Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Defining a WC Qualifier
Quote | Reply
What constitutes calling oneself a WC qualifier? Particularly in the context that an athlete is applying for a race/elite team of some sort where they are asked to list accomplishments.

Obviously those who accept a slot, be it an automatic slot, or a roll down, but what about people who choose to not accept a slot? Here are a few scenarios, lets assume the AG in question receives 3 automatic slots.

1) Athlete finishes 3rd AG, so earns an automatic slot but declines
2) Athlete finishes 9th AG, slot rolls to athlete, so athlete's name is called, but they decline
3) Athlete finishes 9th AG, but does not attend roll down, though after the fact learns that a slot rolled past their finish position
4) Athlete finishes 27th AG, attends roll down, but name isn't called. After the "is there anyone in this AG here?", the athlete still does not identify themselves, but the person who does finished in 35th place, thus taking slot
Quote Reply
Re: Defining a WC Qualifier [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all of them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For your scenario it looks like any of them.

But in the gist of "accomplishments" to me it would be accomplishing an automatic spot and declining. If it takes you going to roll down to determine if you are a "qualifier" well you can claim it if you want I guess *technically*.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Defining a WC Qualifier [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
For your scenario it looks like any of them.

But in the gist of "accomplishments" to me it would be accomplishing an automatic spot and declining. If it takes you going to roll down to determine if you are a "qualifier" well you can claim it if you want I guess *technically*.

yes, my thought wold be athlete #1 for sure, #2... grey area "maybe", but no way for #3 or #4
Quote Reply
Re: Defining a WC Qualifier [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with rolldowns. Cougar was number one. Maverick and Goose were number 2. Cougar lost it turned in his wings. Maverick is number 1.
Quote Reply
Re: Defining a WC Qualifier [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Nothing wrong with rolldowns. Cougar was number one. Maverick and Goose were number 2. Cougar lost it turned in his wings. Maverick is number 1.

Well done sir! Well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the person who takes 5th with 4 slots and two guys in front of him had already qualified. Does that make him an automatic qualifier since he didn't need anyone who didn't want to go to pass on their slot?
Quote Reply
Re: Defining a WC Qualifier [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
What about the person who takes 5th with 4 slots and two guys in front of him had already qualified. Does that make him an automatic qualifier since he didn't need anyone who didn't want to go to pass on their slot?

Yes i believe so. That is a scenario I should have identified in the initial post, that is a good addition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is like "Are you an Ironman if you did a non-branded 140.6"

You can call yourself what you want given the criteria I guess. Some people can argue. Others might agree with you.

My name was called at a deep rolldown for Chattanooga (17th in AG) and I jumped up and took it. I have the coin. I guess I qualified. But I still feel funny about it since the rolldown was pretty deep to get to me. The guy ahead of me in 16th who didn't take it? I guess if he wants he can say he qualified but didn't accept the slot. I am not even sure I would care.
Quote Reply
Re: Defining a WC Qualifier [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can be still be my wingman anytime!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Defining a WC Qualifier [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:

When a real qualifier meets a rolldown qualifier, he or she asks "where did you "qualify"?" Of course putting "qualify" in big jackass airquotes, a dripping with sarcasm inflection and a good rolling of the eyes.
Quote Reply
Re: Defining a WC Qualifier [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a bit harsh. I'm sure not all "real qualifiers" (just normal quotes there BTW) are that childish. <- that's pink if yours was
Quote Reply
Re: Defining a WC Qualifier [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Gtjojo189 wrote:

When a real qualifier meets a rolldown qualifier, he or she asks "where did you "qualify"?" Of course putting "qualify" in big jackass airquotes, a dripping with sarcasm inflection and a good rolling of the eyes.

I did this same thing when I met rolldown qualifiers at Kona...and I got in through the lottery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most laymen think when they hear "WC qualifier" WC overall (which would correspond to a qualification with the pros). This irritates other people. These other people would urge to use the expression "AG WC qualifier", which would indeed be more appropriate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we're talking about applications for teams and braging, I would say no, you did not qualify. You were handed a role down slot.

You can say that you raced at a world championship for your age group, but you were not a WC qualifier. Sorry.

Also, you would be an AG WC qualifier, not a WC qualifier (if we're taking about telling people about it). Nothing pisses me (and non triathletes) more than when people talk about their AG place like an overall place. Ex. "I got first at my race today." *finished 1st in AG*

Rant over
Quote Reply
Re: Defining a WC Qualifier [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
If we're talking about applications for teams and braging, I would say no, you did not qualify. You were handed a role down slot.

You can say that you raced at a world championship for your age group, but you were not a WC qualifier. Sorry.

Also, you would be an AG WC qualifier, not a WC qualifier (if we're taking about telling people about it). Nothing pisses me (and non triathletes) more than when people talk about their AG place like an overall place. Ex. "I got first at my race today." *finished 1st in AG*

Rant over

By that definition, one could compete in an event for which he/she did not actually qualify? Does that make sense? Where in another sport would such a claim be made?

I guess I'm just someone who favors precise language and almost over-honesty. I would hope someone could say, "I was not an automatic qualifier but was afforded a spot as people in front of me had either already qualified or declined."

Feels like advancing in track and field via Q or q in the heats.
Quote Reply
Re: Defining a WC Qualifier [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An answer to your question would be charity slots. For example, people who run the boston marathon and don't qualify.

And I do not believe in roll down slots personally. The WC IM events already have way too many people racing in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
An answer to your question would be charity slots. For example, people who run the boston marathon and don't qualify.

And I do not believe in roll down slots personally. The WC IM events already have way too many people racing in them.

Charity spots is a good answer. So then I have to wrap my head around the idea of charity or other honorary spots in a "championship" event.

So there's a question; is an event like the 70.3WC more like Boston or more like the IAAF World Championships. I guess in some ways it straddles both (they generally want people to be fast but they also want to fill the field).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:

Rant over

Pure silliness. I accepted a roll-down slot to Vegas 70.3 WC, but before going won my AG in another 70.3 race and thus declined the slot. So I wasn't a qualifier in your eyes because I used the roll-down?

As to the comment about people saying they were first when they were only 1st in AG...I completely agree with you. If you aren't first overall then it is only honorable to clarify that you were first in your AG. That said, I don't think anyone would infer 1st overall when someone in one of the senior divisions says they were first.
Quote Reply
Re: Defining a WC Qualifier [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say that you qualified because you won your AG in that one race. Sure, you officially used a roll down slot for your entry, but you qualified anyway.

I don't think that it matters if you qualify and don't accept the slot. You still qualified. If a race qualifies the top 2 people per AG and the top two people don't accept the slot but the next two do, were there four qualifiers for that race? No, there were two. The two who turned down the slots.
Quote Reply