Re: December (Ice) Fish(ing) - post swims here [faded_memories] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
500 swim
5x100 various kicks
4x[25fl/50bk/75br/100fr]@:10RI frees were 1:06 - :10
100 kick cool

2100 sc yardages

I've caught up to you, TC :~)

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: December (Ice) Fish(ing) - post swims here [AdamG1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One great way to improve technique is to practice swimming faster than your threshold pace. Do a 100 faster than 1:25 10x per week and see what happens after 3 weeks. Your volume is solid, but maybe not so high that gains will happen just because of the volume.

regards,
r.b.

Bringing you Tweets @ http://twitter.com/findfreestyle and Not just a bunch of drills - A Process.
Quote Reply
Re: December (Ice) Fish(ing) - post swims here [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally sprung the trap on my 1,000 TT. I used to have something that I would say to swimmers when they got bogged down in facts instead of fast swimming, "do you wanna be right, or do you wanna be fast?". Well, I predicted based on my last 3 weeks of prep that I could hold 1:21 for me 1,000. Well, I was right (13:33), but I would rather be faster!! :)

WU
1 x 600 pks 1.2.2.1
10 x 25 alt long/MSSR
6 x 25 FAST TURNS
4 x (100 good form / 50 quick)
1,000 TT - 13:33

Bringing you Tweets @ http://twitter.com/findfreestyle and Not just a bunch of drills - A Process.
Quote Reply
Re: December (Ice) Fish(ing) - post swims here [robertwb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job, but how did you split it?? Like a supernova or a comet?
Quote Reply
Re: December (Ice) Fish(ing) - post swims here [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Nice job, but how did you split it?? Like a supernova or a comet?

Like a fully-loaded freight train! I actually did an open turn at the 500 and saw my split as 6:46, so I am calling that a dead-on even split.

r.b.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers

Just to clarify - would that be 10 x 100 "all out" with a decent rest? That would make it back in 1:19-1:20, so off on 2:20? or just do 10 sprints over the course of each week?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been having some achilles issues. Last couple times it felt a little aggravated after swimming. Cut down on the kicks and push off with the other foot off the walls.

The issues started at the same time I reamped up bike intensity.

550 wu
200 kick
5x100 drill (50 drill/50 swim) :15 RI
50 easy
5x200 @ 3:40 ( 3:20-3:27 )
50 easy
5x100 @ 200 ( 1:29, 1:31, 1:31, 1:32, 1:33 )
100 cd

2950 scm
Last edited by: elpete: Dec 22, 11 8:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid work on the 1000 TT.

Today was likely my last workout for the year (going skiing for the next week+).
Hopefully the week off won't be a big deal (I could probably use the rest).
58K+ for the month is a personal best and I have a whole dead week ;)

WU: 400 kwf, 300, 100 drill, 300, 100 drill
Main: 4x {25 easy, 25 1/2 fast, 25 1/2 fast, 25 fast}
300, every 3rd 50 fast
400, every 4th 50 fast
500, every 5th 50 fast
400, every 4th 25 fast
300 fast
CD: 500 pull
50 all-out (:28)
4050 scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AdamG1980 wrote:
Cheers

Just to clarify - would that be 10 x 100 "all out" with a decent rest? That would make it back in 1:19-1:20, so off on 2:20? or just do 10 sprints over the course of each week?

I think either or, and preferably both ways - you just have to taste it a little.

regards,
r.b.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AdamG1980 wrote:
Cheers

While you can certainly go "all out" for 10x100 on 2:20, you'll find that "all out" on the last few are nothing like "all out" on the first one or two. Instead, try to hold the fastest you can for all of them.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, as ken said do the set for fastest average 1st, trying to not be more than 3 seconds off on any swim. Then use what you did to plan an attack on the next one. If you descended(slowest to fastest) then start out at the average pace next time. If you are like dan and ascend every set, then start out a little slower and try and be strong at the end. It is a lot of rest, so go for it the 1st time and just see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: December (Ice) Fish(ing) - post swims here [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast Friday, my last workout at TXLA before Christmas and move to Chicago area. Long course.

warmup (late): 300 swim

main: 4 x (4 x 100 on 2:30 fast, 300 easy)

1st round: 1:14s free
2nd round: 1:32, 34, 36, 38 breast
3rd round: 1:13, 15, 15, 17
4th round: 1:17, 1:17, 1:17, last on 2 min rest from blocks, 1:11

3100 lcm

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Re: December (Ice) Fish(ing) - post swims here [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally got around to my 1000 yard TT.

I typically swim about 8-12K per week. This winter I decided to work on my swim so I ramped up my swim volume to around 25K per week late November. I probably ramped things up a little too quickly because I had some pain in my left shoulder last week so I'm making this week very easy with low volume and plenty of rest to make sure this doesn't turn into an injury. Prior to this week, I had put in a little more than 90,000 yards in 28 days. This week has been super easy, so I went into the TT in the best swim shape of my life and well rested. My shoulder isn't 100% yet, but it's pretty close.

My previous PR was 14:00.

I didn't get my splits, but I did hit the halfway mark at 6:46. I felt pretty good so I stepped up the effort. In the past, more effort typically meant my form would fall apart and I would work harder to go the same speed or slower, so I really focused on holding my form so I wasn't spinning my wheels. My final time was 13:23 so a negative split and a pretty big PR. Really happy about this. I did an easy cool down and finished with only 1700 yards. My shoulder is pretty good, but I'm playing it safe. For the first time in my life, I'm enjoying swimming so I don't want to ruin that and have to take a lot of time off.
Quote Reply
Re: December (Ice) Fish(ing) - post swims here [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go supersquid, you probably had that sub 1;20 pace in you for sure. That is the way i like to swim that race too, try and not feel too much pain the 1st 1/2, then negative split all the way to the barn. Lot easier to deal with pain and discomfort if you can smell the finish. Well done, i guess you found the secret that everyone here is always asking about, just swim more!!!

For me today it was good to be back home from the trip. Couldn't wait to get to the pool and try and do a good one;

4x(4x100@1;30/100 back@1;45/100 brst@1;45/100IM@1;45/100IM kick@2;15) straight through, last set pull- 100;s free swim-1;20 to 1;11, 100's pull 1;13 to 1;08, back's- 1;28/22/21/21-- brst's 1;32/28/28/27-- IM;s- 1;21/18/18/17-- kicks- 1;50 to 1;43
12x25@;30, 8-fly/4-free- fly's 16/17
250 easy pull
3750SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Way to go supersquid, you probably had that sub 1;20 pace in you for sure. That is the way i like to swim that race too, try and not feel too much pain the 1st 1/2, then negative split all the way to the barn. Lot easier to deal with pain and discomfort if you can smell the finish. Well done, i guess you found the secret that everyone here is always asking about, just swim more!!!

Thanks. It definitely is easier to dig deep and push hard when you know you've only got a couple hundred yards left.

More is more. It comes up on Slowtwitch all the time. I knew that was the answer, but like a lot of people asking for the secret to swimming faster I didn't want to hear it. I wanted to hear about some secret drill that's going to fix all my form flaws and I'll magically swim faster with less effort in no time. Unless you really suck, it doesn't work like that.

I didn't even swim that hard for most of my volume. I couldn't. The increase in volume had my shoulders pretty fatigued so a lot of it was moderately easy, so I'm hoping that when I get used to the volume I'll be able to up the intensity a little more and see even bigger gains. I also did a lot of longer sets - 200s at threshold, 500s, 1000s, straight swims. It helped doing a lot of 1000s because this TT didn't feel that long. It was a regular set, just faster.

I'm pretty pleased with my swimming right now. I realize 13:23 isn't all that fast, but it's a big improvement and it was a reward for hard work so it's always nice to have hard work pay off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty pleased with my swimming right now. I realize 13:23 isn't all that fast, but it's a big improvement and it was a reward for hard work so it's always nice to have hard work pay off. //

In triathlon circles that is a very solid time, probably top 10%. I know my neighbor here(slowman) would kill for that time. We are making it his goal to hit 1;20 pace for a 1000 this winter, and it will not be easy. He just told me for his birthday set he wants to do 55x100@ 1;30. He has 6 weeks or so to get ready, and if we get anywhere close to doing that, i think he just might have that 13;20 in him. You on the other hand probably have a 13 minute in you with some moderate speed work and a nice taper. It is amazing what some focused rest will do, and of course a fast pair of jammers!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm home for the holidays so I don't have access to a long course pool. Waaaaaahhhhhhh

And the master's workout was crowded and fast, it felt like an open water swim waaaaaahhhhh"

Oops, wrong thread ;-P

Anyways, another tough short course workout for me.

Warmup:
900 mix,
3x100 cruise, 2x50 kick/swim,
Main Set,3x through:
200+2x100
100+2x50
50+2x25
Rounds 1&3, 200,100,50 on 1:20/100, 2x100 ect on 1:25 pace and all out.
Round 2, flip it. (/main set)
8x150 on 2:05, hypoxic.
100 WD

4700 scy

Hoka One One - Field Service Rep
Quote Reply
Re: December (Ice) Fish(ing) - post swims here [ZackP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3200m for me today.
500 wu
5x500
#1 hard-9:25
#2 pull- 9:30
#3 kick no fins 150/fins 200/no fins 150- Forever
#4 ez/fast 25/25, 50/50, 75/75, 100/100
#5 hard- 9:09 (PB by 15 secs)

Very good swim for me. My times have really improved since I started my swim focus. Very gratifying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was planning to sneak in another 1000TT this AM, but woke up with a sore throat and now have a little lung congestion. I think I have another 10 seconds I could remove from my time. I think the last one, although my fastest, was hampered by not swimming for a week. Well, with this crap settling in my lungs, my year may be wrapped up. Posting and reading what others are doing in the monthly swim thread as well as using the ST Training Log has really motivated me. Thank you all and have a great Holiday.

Quote Reply
Re: December (Ice) Fish(ing) - post swims here [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick AM swim before work and Xmas travel to the inlaws

20 x 100

5 @ 1:25 av 1:14
5 @ 1:20 av 1:14
10 @ 1:20 av 1:11

100 easy

2100 scm

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: December (Ice) Fish(ing) - post swims here [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the January Challenge, so what yardage goal is everyone shooting for in January? My biggest month was 76,000 in October, so 77,000 is the goal. Based on the other challenges, that should be pretty easy for some of you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put up the challenge and did 65,650 in October. That will be tough for me to beat. I better work on my fly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to bump the volume up but still focus on quality... I have tons of miles in me. Back in the day... Xmas would mean camp timewhich meant 120 to 130000 metres in 10 days

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: December (Ice) Fish(ing) - post swims here [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I remember some nasty xmas training blocks as well. Fortunately the challenge is only beating the biggest month you've had THIS year ;-P

Quote Reply

Prev Next